New Manager

dantheram

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Anton Ferdinand is no more responsible for his brother than John Terry is for his father.

I don't know that it was Ferdinand that instigated the making of that documentary but it is relevant today because, regrettably, racism is still all too prevalent in society in general and that includes in football.

Rubbish - there's no need for a programme an hour long 9 years down the line.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, dlm77 said:

Wow... don't you have a hobby. Coffee without milk is often reffered to as an americano and often ordered that way. I myself order an americano after an experience ordering a black coffee in a diner in New York.

FYI : Americano is a diluted espresso, you don't see many people with milk or cream in their espresso do you.

My fave way to have coffee. Just a little bit, not the bongo cup of milk, just a bit of steamed milk.

31 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Anton Ferdinand is no more responsible for his brother than John Terry is for his father.

I don't know that it was Ferdinand that instigated the making of that documentary but it is relevant today because, regrettably, racism is still all too prevalent in society in general and that includes in football.

27 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Rubbish - there's no need for a programme an hour long 9 years down the line.

Edit: sorry in the conversation, I asked: "Do you think racism no longer exists?"

15 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

At what point have I said that? 

Are you squeaky clean your whole life? 

What part of my post was "rubbish" then?

Of course the programme is relevant today.

Fedinand himself said it was not about "Anton versus John"

Only this year, the chair of the FA had to resign because of comments he made.

Our own Duane Holmes has received unbelievable abuse on social media.

So, what do you find "rubbish"?

Edit: no, of course I have not been squeeky clean - but I do try and confess to my misdemeanours and improve as a person.

What I would like in a new manager is that we stop being called after that person as their club. 

‘Lampards Derby’ got tiresome. 

We are already being labelled ‘Rooney‘s Derby’ on Sky and the BBC and that is winding me up no end. 

It would be great to have a manager come in and get on with being a good manager without us having their name instead of ours put out in the media. 

Paul Cook for me now if he’s willing to come. He’d get on with the job in hand and hopefully keep us up without a media circus all the time. 

41 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Really, You'd better read this then, Mark Clattenburg Vs Mikel Jon Obi.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/nov/22/mark-clattenburg-cleared-fa-mikel

Reading this it seems the case is slightly different from someone making false claims of racism for their own gain. The FA concluded Clattenburg didn't make a racist comment, but Ramires had "acted in good faith" by reporting it.

As alluded to in the article, English isn't Ramires' first language either, so it's possible he misheard. My argument being that it's very rare for anyone to completely fabricate racist abuse if they 100% knew it wasn't true. Obviously it's inexcusable to knowingly make these kind of false accusations.

The major difference here is Terry was charged by the FA, yet Ferdinand is still doubted and cast as someone who is "using racism". If someone could explain to me how he is "using racism" I'd be fascinated to know how. 

1 minute ago, England Ram said:

What I would like in a new manager is that we stop being called after that person as their club. 

We are already being labelled ‘Rooney‘s Derby’ on Sky and the BBC and that is winding me up no end. 

It would be great to have a manager come in and get on with being a good manager without us having their name instead of ours put out in the media. 

Paul Cook for me now if he’s willing to come. He’d get on with the job in hand and hopefully keep us up without a media circus all the time. 

It irritates me and then, during the FA cup draw last night, my wife called me out for saying "Nigel Clough's Mansfield Town" ?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, England Ram said:

Excellent summary ?

Unpopular opinion but I would back Terry as manager and get behind him. Out of all the younger managers in the game who are high profile, he has done his time learning the trade as an assistant (successfully too). He is very highly regarded at Villa & has good contacts in the game.

On the field he was a born leader (one of the best & most successful) of our generation. Hopefully can take this into management.

When you compare his CV to likes of Rooney it isn't even a question.

The timing of the documentary is poor, however he is going to get a job in management soon and I would much rather him over anyone from the current regime.

Ive not watched the documentary yet but I plan to do so. However, I understand racism is still in the game and in life but I dont get why Terry is having his name dragged up again for something so long ago which he has been punished for already.

Yes he may have said something racist, the context of it will never be fully known. If Terry genuinely feels like he didnt say it in a racist way why would he apologise to Ferdinand? How Ferdinand got treated by the FA & press shouldnt be lay at Terry's door imo, he isnt that influential!

As someone who has had racism aimed at me, I still would support Terry if he became our manager. I dont think anyone will go through life without doing or saying something wrong or that they later regret, myself included so to still hold onto something from 9 years ago seems abit pointless to me unless it directly impacted you like Ferdinand. 

Not exactly like Rooney has been a saint during his career has he. If its between Rooney & Terry it would be Terry for me every day of the week. I actually think a combination of Terry & McClaren would work well.

Terry is a clear leader, more so than Rooney and I think he would have a much bigger impact managing this team than Rooney will

I've said it before,  unfortunately regardless of his off the field antics, John Terry will be a good manager. He's a leader, articulates himself well and will rally the troops more than Rooney.  Rooney will make a good coach,  but he doesn't have that manager aura to me.

I'd welcome Terry and the list of Chelsea loanees from Frank The Messiah. We need a leader and even tho it will be Terry's first job, with Mac there, I'm almost certain he'll do well. 

?

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

So what did you mean when you said it is frowned upon in the US to order black coffee other than Americano (note: Americano is not black coffee btw, it is just filter coffee and can be had with or without milk - pedants hat off)?

I just ask as in the 1980s right wing media suggested that Bernie Grant's Brent council had banned black bin bags and stopped the singing of Baa Baa Black Sheep because both were racist. Many were up in arms, how ridiculous, political correctness gone mad. Except that it wasn't true, it was all made up by right wing groups to discredit what they saw as a very real threat of Labour taking London councils.

Quick Google search around people considering the phrase 'black coffee' as racist shows up a return of exactly one result - from a cafe in Southend on Sea. If you think that Barry (the cafe owner) is a worthy witness in this then I give you this wonderful quote. ‘This is just a repeat of last year’s trouble when local eating disorder action groups formed a picket outside when I started serving skinny lattés – too many people seem to have a rod up their ass these days, hope I don’t get done for saying that as well.’

Eeerrrrrrr..... pedants hat firmly on here but that is not true. An Americano is an espresso shot (sometimes a double shot) poured over hot water to make a black coffee (you can add milk if you wish but this basically makes it not an Americano). Popularised in the 2nd world war by American troops stationed in Italy the local baristas named it the Americano.  They would ask for coffee this way as it was as close to the regular filter coffee they were used to in diners back in the US. It’s certainly never filter coffee. 

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Ive not watched the documentary yet but I plan to do so. However, I understand racism is still in the game and in life but I dont get why Terry is having his name dragged up again for something so long ago which he has been punished for already.

Yes he may have said something racist, the context of it will never be fully known. If Terry genuinely feels like he didnt say it in a racist way why would he apologise to Ferdinand? How Ferdinand got treated by the FA & press shouldnt be lay at Terry's door imo, he isnt that influential!

As someone who has had racism aimed at me, I still would support Terry if he became our manager. I dont think anyone will go through life without doing or saying something wrong or that they later regret, myself included so to still hold onto something from 9 years ago seems abit pointless to me unless it directly impacted you like Ferdinand. 

Not exactly like Rooney has been a saint during his career has he. If its between Rooney & Terry it would be Terry for me every day of the week. I actually think a combination of Terry & McClaren would work well.

Terry is a clear leader, more so than Rooney and I think he would have a much bigger impact managing this team than Rooney will

As I mentioned, Ferdinand emphasised that he didn't want the programme to be about "Anton versus John" and that there were bigger issues at play - the racism endemic throughout football, the FA in particular, the shackles placed on the Kick it Out campaign, the apparent effort to support the England captain regardless of any possible offence etc. You should watch the programme. It is about much more than that one incident.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

As I mentioned, Ferdinand emphasised that he didn't want the programme to be about "Anton versus John" and that there were bigger issues at play - the racism endemic throughout football, the FA in particular, the shackles placed on the Kick it Out campaign, the apparent effort to support the England captain regardless of any possible offence etc. You should watch the programme. It is about much more than that one incident.

I will watch it soon as from what ive read its clearly had an impact on Ferdinand which I fully understand but in terms of Terry I know already it wont change my thoughts about it all

I can’t fathom this obsession with the “golden generation” and thinking they’ll be amazing at management.

Most are pundits on TV whilst other players from foreign countries of their generation are winning world cups, La Liga titles and the Champions League.....  

Think it’s more of a English thing if anything else. Some of us fans get starry eyed and are like nodding dogs whilst listening to the opinions of “experts” like Shearer, Rio Ferdinand, Owen and co.

We should be looking at the achievements off the field the likes of Deschamps, Pep, Zidane from that era - but nope us lot “know best”.

It’ll be yet another costly mistake having Terry here. Mind we are quite keen on doing that here so may as well keep going the “Derby Way” as a tradition.

32 minutes ago, England Ram said:

Give the job to Matt Derbyshire or Julian Darby, or, is there a manager called Dave Legend somewhere?

We have a saying here that cannot be translated directly, but means if a fellow is changing his ways for the better, he should not have his nose repeatedly rubbed with his earlier misconduct.

If Terry is a sensible appointment, i will give him every chance to show his worth, on and off the field.

7 minutes ago, samtheram83 said:

Eeerrrrrrr..... pedants hat firmly on here but that is not true. An Americano is an espresso shot (sometimes a double shot) poured over hot water to make a black coffee (you can add milk if you wish but this basically makes it not an Americano). Popularised in the 2nd world war by American troops stationed in Italy the local baristas named it the Americano.  They would ask for coffee this way as it was as close to the regular filter coffee they were used to in diners back in the US. It’s certainly never filter coffee. 

You're right, but try it next time you are in Pret or Costa. Ask for an Americano and see if you get asked if you want milk with it.

It really wasn't (I do repeat, really wasn't) the major point I was trying to make, but glad to see that at least it has moved us away from talking about whether or not John Terry is a racist scumbag. Click 'Cheers' to say thank you!

Archived