New Manager

dantheram

It's difficult to think of a worse appointment than John Terry.

We can escape relegation, but it's going to need a manager who gets most of his decision correct. The chances are, someone new to the job is going to have a bedding in period where their decision making is a little hit and miss. We just don't have the luxury of that at present.

John Terry is such a big name, that any degree of success will bring him onto the radar of Premier League and possibly Old Firm clubs. If Terry turns out to be any good he will be gone in an instant. 

As detailed on here, John Terry's previous behaviour is at best questionable. He's not someone I would choose to have running my club - although I am hypocritical enough to admit that I'd probably overlook this if I thought he was any good.

All of the above could also be levelled at Rooney - I don't want him either.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, S8TY said:

The Ferdinand programme was one sided ..never a fair argument if only one side being heard ....typical BBC stirring up old poo 

They gave Terry the chance to respond and his "team" told the documentary he had moved on with his life. I'm not sure how much more balanced it could be if one of the parties completely disregards it.

Also, this is the sort of thought process that leads to more negativity, divide and hate. I thought the documentary was fairly balanced and Ferdinand was questioning his own actions, what he did (or was advised to do at the time) and was actually exploring the consequences of everyone's actions - his own, his families, Terry's, The FA, Kick It Out etc.

I genuinely think John Terry has the makings of a good manager, I imagine he'd have the same presence he had on the pitch as a captain and he's clearly well regarded by his peers - I don't doubt any of this.

However, I struggle to look past his behaviour and he is not the kind of character the club should be endorsing. With the club standing by the players when Ramage made his idiotic comments last season, an appointment like this would make their stance meaningless. There's no point standing for something if you're not even going to attempt to be consistent in your views.

If the club do appoint him they will be asked questions, and I'd be very interested to hear their justification.

I think Terry could be a good manager too, but we don't need a divisive appointment at this point. 

I can't imagine any appointment that anyone would agree on, but at least play conservatively whilst we find ourselves in this position. Paul Cook seems to have a fairly big group of people championing his appointment, plus the ones who don't favour Cook (I'd probably class myself in this) wouldn't be insulted by his appointment. 

It's one that brings no negative attention or nonsense with it. A struggling Championship club appoints a manager with a good track record with smaller clubs. The sooner we cancel the circus and go back to being a boring football club the better, in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

What will all of you that are slating Terry do IF he becomes manager. Apart from the forum meltdown and folks losing their poo ?

Break into the stadium during another crowdless match day, throw my season ticket onto the pitch in protest then later insist on receiving a full season's refund. 

18 minutes ago, roboto said:

Also, this is the sort of thought process that leads to more negativity, divide and hate.

If Terry had 'moved on' you might think he'd realise that a comment other than 'no comment' might help things. It's almost like he's never thought of stuff like BLM?

1 hour ago, JohnHarkes said:

Very, very, very, very rarely do people "use racism" in an argument if no racist behaviour has occurred, because, surprisingly, nobody wants to be on the receiving end of racist abuse, nor do people want to find themselves involved in a high profile case regarding alleged racist abuse. What does anyone have to gain from making false accusations? Anton Ferdinand's career certainly didn't benefit from it, and I'm fairly certain the wave of death threats and further racist abuse didn't either.

Implying that anyone 'uses racism' or fabricates instances of racism to prove a point or win an argument is absurd, especially when you hear or experience what those on the receiving end go through as result of speaking out.

Really, You'd better read this then, Mark Clattenburg Vs Mikel Jon Obi.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/nov/22/mark-clattenburg-cleared-fa-mikel

8 minutes ago, dlm77 said:

No...You are just being pedantic, bit you did a least get a laugh for comment, well done !

So what did you mean when you said it is frowned upon in the US to order black coffee other than Americano (note: Americano is not black coffee btw, it is just filter coffee and can be had with or without milk - pedants hat off)?

I just ask as in the 1980s right wing media suggested that Bernie Grant's Brent council had banned black bin bags and stopped the singing of Baa Baa Black Sheep because both were racist. Many were up in arms, how ridiculous, political correctness gone mad. Except that it wasn't true, it was all made up by right wing groups to discredit what they saw as a very real threat of Labour taking London councils.

Quick Google search around people considering the phrase 'black coffee' as racist shows up a return of exactly one result - from a cafe in Southend on Sea. If you think that Barry (the cafe owner) is a worthy witness in this then I give you this wonderful quote. ‘This is just a repeat of last year’s trouble when local eating disorder action groups formed a picket outside when I started serving skinny lattés – too many people seem to have a rod up their ass these days, hope I don’t get done for saying that as well.’

7 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

So what did you mean when you said it is frowned upon in the US to order black coffee other than Americano (note: Americano is not black coffee btw, it is just filter coffee and can be had with or without milk - pedants hat off)?

I just ask as in the 1980s right wing media suggested that Bernie Grant's Brent council had banned black bin bags and stopped the singing of Baa Baa Black Sheep because both were racist. Many were up in arms, how ridiculous, political correctness gone mad. Except that it wasn't true, it was all made up by right wing groups to discredit what they saw as a very real threat of Labour taking London councils.

Quick Google search around people considering the phrase 'black coffee' as racist shows up a return of exactly one result - from a cafe in Southend on Sea. If you think that Barry (the cafe owner) is a worthy witness in this then I give you this wonderful quote. ‘This is just a repeat of last year’s trouble when local eating disorder action groups formed a picket outside when I started serving skinny lattés – too many people seem to have a rod up their ass these days, hope I don’t get done for saying that as well.’

Wow... don't you have a hobby. Coffee without milk is often reffered to as an americano and often ordered that way. I myself order an americano after an experience ordering a black coffee in a diner in New York.

FYI : Americano is a diluted espresso, you don't see many people with milk or cream in their espresso do you.

30 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

What will all of you that are slating Terry do IF he becomes manager. Apart from the forum meltdown and folks losing their poo ?

I cannot speak for others but, for me, I will always support Derby County Football Club.

That does not mean I have to be happy with the appointment of the manager or the style of play that they use. Many on here didn't like the way Cocu's team played; nevertheless, they continued to support the club and, in particular, the team.

I didn't like the way we played under Billy Davies (even the promotion season) or Gary Rowett but I still wanted the team to do well. I would go further and say I did not like the public persona of Billy Davies though, maybe he is different at home.

And, do not even get me started on Tommy Docherty.

We are - and always will be - Derby fans. ?

Do you think Anton had a word with Rio when he missed his drug test and had to miss 8 months out of playing for both club and country? 

Not everybody is sweet and innocent and that goes for the Ferdinands. 

Also, why after 9 years has he come out with this again? Was he beginning to not get recognised when walking the street?

I'll back Terry if he becomes our manager whether he's done good or bad - and I'd want him to be successful here too. 

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Do you think Anton had a word with Rio when he missed his drug test and had to miss 8 months out of playing for both club and country? 

Not everybody is sweet and innocent and that goes for the Ferdinands. 

Also, why after 9 years has he come out with this again? Was he beginning to not get recognised when walking the street?

I'll back Terry if he becomes our manager whether he's done good or bad - and I'd want him to be successful here too. 

Anton Ferdinand is no more responsible for his brother than John Terry is for his father.

I don't know that it was Ferdinand that instigated the making of that documentary but it is relevant today because, regrettably, racism is still all too prevalent in society in general and that includes in football.

Archived