New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Now that I have stopped walking around wailing after last night's result ...

I have to think that logically the take-over must be fairly close - maybe an announcement Tues/Wed next week.

Mac could have certainly been brought in to help select a new manager ... or who better to explain to new owners/a complete new management set-up our unique culture? ('No, when the fans are shifting about grumbling that means they are happy ... when they are silent with crossed arms, that's bad')

I understand and agree with some of your views on why Mac is here but that still doesn't address the current issues. I still maintain that the 'committee' was always going to be a train wreck. If you are looking for a clear and focussed strategy, spreading the task of formulating and implementing the plan across four separate coaches is not the way to do it. If they are simply a stop-gap, then it makes even less sense with a man of Mac's credentials sat around pulling out his hair island. His expression whilst sat in the stands went from nervous excitement, to incredulity and then on to utter disbelief at what he was seeing. 

For me, there's only one logical choice and that's Terry with Mac as his mentor, the one issue being that he does bring a significant amount of 'baggage' and there's a legitimate question as to whether that might result in further damage. That said, IMO, the TD role is way less important in the short term than the coaching job. We simply must make footballing matters our top priority right now if we are to put an end to this downward spiral. My staunch support of Mel Morris is wavering with every day that passes without a new manager being appointed and that's a pretty shitty feeling to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I understand and agree with some of your views on why Mac is here but that still doesn't address the current issues. I still maintain that the 'committee' was always going to be a train wreck. If you are looking for a clear and focussed strategy, spreading the task of formulating and implementing the plan across four separate coaches is not the way to do it. If they are simply a stop-gap, then it makes even less sense with a man of Mac's credentials sat around pulling out his hair island. His expression whilst sat in the stands went from nervous excitement, to incredulity and then on to utter disbelief at what he was seeing. 

For me, there's only one logical choice and that's Terry with Mac as his mentor, the one issue being that he does bring a significant amount of 'baggage' and there's a legitimate question as to whether that might result in further damage. That said, IMO, the TD role is way less important in the short term than the coaching job. We simply must make footballing matters our top priority right now if we are to put an end to this downward spiral. My staunch support of Mel Morris is wavering with every day that passes without a new manager being appointed and that's a pretty shitty feeling to be honest. 

Yeah, you are on the same page as me.

Though we didn't go up under SuperFrank I felt exhilarated and believed we were at the start of good times.

My post before was me being glass half full. If you really want the glass half empty - 

Based on doubts regarding our current shocking form the take-over falls through.

We get relegated.

All our decent players are ransacked by Burnley/Reading (as they go up)/whoever.

Years in the wilderness. Maybe we will have a good cup run and get drawn with a big club, you know, like Millwall.

I think the venom being expressed on here is because to be honest we all feel we are owed some time in the promised land - and now we seem poised for pooh strasse once again .... only worse.

Lampard himself is backing Rooney, according to an in-depth interview with Alan Shearer in The Athletic.

"Wayne Rooney, another old England colleague, is pushing for the now-vacant manager’s post at Derby and Frank’s advice is, “Do it, go for it, although you have to do it with everything you’ve got. It’s not a job where you can say, ‘Ah, I’ll see how it goes’. You have to throw yourself into it."

If you subscribe to the Athletic read the article, there are some other good snippets about Derby in there, including the fact that when he left, Lampard was already aware there were tough times ahead if he had stayed at Derby.

He also said our expectation levels are only "so-so". I suppose they are, compared to Chelsea's! 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Lampard himself is backing Rooney, according to an in-depth interview with Alan Shearer in The Athletic.

"Wayne Rooney, another old England colleague, is pushing for the now-vacant manager’s post at Derby and Frank’s advice is, “Do it, go for it, although you have to do it with everything you’ve got. It’s not a job where you can say, ‘Ah, I’ll see how it goes’. You have to throw yourself into it."

If you subscribe to the Athletic read the article, there are some other good snippets about Derby in there, including the fact that when he left, Lampard was already aware there were tough times ahead if he had stayed at Derby.

He also said our expectation levels are only "so-so". I suppose they are, compared to Chelsea's! 

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I am soo sick of people in general bringing stuff up from ancient history and exploiting the current paranoia. Sticks and stone will break my bones but calling names won't hurt me. For goodness sake can some people not just grow a skin, or at least a thicker one.

Ferdinand by his own admission was the instigator of the verbals, so are we supposed to say one form of verbal abuse is ok, but not another i.e. racism. 

It seems as though society is afraid to say anything that could possibly perceived to be classed as racist, but say anything else and you are ok. 

I don't personally see colour when speaking with anyone, yes I accept there has been racism, but there has been lots of injustices in the past. I don't think we should hide or shy away from our past but endeavour to be better. 

BUT all this paranoia from the media and certain celebrities and sport people jumping on any old bandwagon does my head in. 

Hm.

Sort of shows why this appointment would be a bad idea doesn't it? Because your victim blaming is precisely why Anton Ferdinand was finished after that day and Terry enjoyed and is still enjoying a smooth transition from playing to coaching.

With people like you willing to defend him to the hilt, why the hell would he ever bother changing his attitudes?

49 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Hm.

Sort of shows why this appointment would be a bad idea doesn't it? Because your victim blaming is precisely why Anton Ferdinand was finished after that day and Terry enjoyed and is still enjoying a smooth transition from playing to coaching.

With people like you willing to defend him to the hilt, why the hell would he ever bother changing his attitudes?

I am not victim blaming at all, but bringing stuff up this many years later - tell me for what reason - and remember Ferdinand started the verbals or are you another of the brigade that thinks racism is worse than any other form of abuse!

6 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Why wasn't there a replacement lined up for Cocu before he went. This is a mess. 

Because they didn't actually want to sack Cocu until the takeover had been completed. Unfortunately things on the pitch got so bad that their hand was forced in the (mistaken as it turns out) hope that a change would bring about an improvement.....

I see John Eustace has appeared on the odds.

Did a good job at Kidderminster and was Mac's assistant at QPR.  Wouldn't have him as manager right now (although he is far more qualified than Rooney) but would love to see him in the setup.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Because they didn't actually want to sack Cocu until the takeover had been completed. Unfortunately things on the pitch got so bad that their hand was forced in the (mistaken as it turns out) hope that a change would bring about an improvement.....

And in the terraces. I think the fans screaming for blood would have had something to do with the decision to terminate Cocu.

6 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Did a good job at Kidderminster and was Mac's assistant at QPR.  Wouldn't have him as manager right now (although he is far more qualified than Rooney) but would love to see him in the setup.

I hope he's still got a pair of boots?

1 hour ago, MK-Ram said:

Not sure I'd say no to Eustace if I'm honest. As a player he had what I can only describe as "clarity" on the pitch. Sensible, calm, assured, great reading of the game. Inexperienced as a manager yes, but I don't see him being fazed by poor form or by the weight of the job. He's got a great head on his shoulders and he's a cheap option to get us back stable. And the relationship with Mac means a cohesive club philosophy.

Plus, he has managed at Kidderminster. Solid full season as no.1. Then caretaker at QPR for the end of the season. More than Rooney, Rosenior or Terry have had

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Not sure I'd say no to Eustace if I'm honest. As a player he had what I can only describe as "clarity" on the pitch. Sensible, calm, assured, great reading of the game. Inexperienced as a manager yes, but I don't see him being fazed by poor form or by the weight of the job. He's got a great head on his shoulders and he's a cheap option to get us back stable. And the relationship with Mac means a cohesive club philosophy.

Plus, he has managed at Kidderminster. Solid full season as no.1. Then caretaker at QPR for the end of the season. More than Rooney, Rosenior or Terry have had

My reservation would be around the position we are in, but accept that anyone is a risk. I feel Eustace has the potential to be a good manager and I don't think he would be phased by Rooney and co. Because, as you suggest, he has a clear head.

Would prefer experience but much preferred over Rooney/Terry

3 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Why wasn't there a replacement lined up for Cocu before he went. This is a mess. 

Spot on, there was the perfect opportunity to do this and get it sorted during the international break and still have some time to prepare for the upcoming games,  whats happening now is an absolute shambles 

15 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If had any serious aspirations of being manager as he said at the start he should have always put himself on the touchline. 

Ryan Conway saying it's a big call to make Rooney the main leader because Rosenior has coaching badges.

They maybe so. But badges don't mean anything when you are utterly inept at picking a team and leaving players out that shouldn't be.

I'm still absolutely amazed that we haven't got a manager yet. 

We don't need Rooney. We don't need Rosenior. 

We need a new manager with a new voice and fresh ideas. 

Somehow we need to find a way to stay up. Because in the summer it's going to be a big big job.

There's quite a few players here who's contract is up. So it's going to be quite an overhaul. 

The more this goes on the more im feeling the need of a muck and bullets manager , step forward Paul Cook

Archived