New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Allardyce is blind panic. People will look back in the years ahead and ask themselves, 'What was I thinking?'

Personally I wouldn’t go for Allardyce. He would be a long way down my list in fact.

He’s not managed in the Championship since 2012 - a time when King Billy was still relevant. He did so with West Ham - a situation similar to Benitez at Newcastle where he was set up to succeed and with some ease too being the biggest club in the division at the time and the one with the most resources.

But I can see why people might think he’s the answer. In previous jobs, he stabilised Blackburn, Sunderland and Palace who were all under threat from relegation. He’s also not necessarily a negative manager. His Bolton side with Okocha and Djorkaeff were fun to watch, I recall.

He wouldn’t be my choice but I don’t think it would be a signal of panic either. At least he has experience of walking into similar situations as the one we are currently experiencing and turning the ship around.

Three points behind 21st, six points behind 20th, a whopping ten points from 12th. It’s a tall order to get any joy from this season so I can see why people see the appeal in someone who might give us a shot in the arm like Allardyce has done at previous clubs.

We are on track to finish the season on 23 points.

An achievement to rival our last glorious sortie into the top division.

We have only very infrequently ever graced other than the top two divisions.

We have usually flirted with a playoff position for most of the past decade plus.

We have rarely if ever scored so few goals in the first dozen games of the season.

As far as I'm aware, we have never had a top scoring England international turning out regularly for us until now!

Why would any sane, competent, right thinking manager want to take over the reins at DCFC?

(Not wishing to criticise the team I still love and support of course!)

I think we all expected a reaction, but we had two shots and again did not look like scoring. Bristol City came into this game high in the table but Covid:19 affected their preparations. According to the commentary I listened to, we were in the game, but as soon as they scored, we never looked like getting back in the game with the little time remaining.

Browsing the EFL tables, we have scored 5 goals, the lowest in all the divisions, & failed to score in the last three games. One goal is enough to beat us at the moment. Is the situation as bad as some of us think it is? I think it is because even the likes of Wycombe, with none of our resources, can dig out points at home to Watford & Brentford. Are there three worse teams than us? I reckon Birmingham will get dragged in, & injuries may eventually cost Rotherham & Wycombe, but at this moment of time, we are a poor side irrespective of whether we are supposed to be a good team on paper.

I feel Rooney has too much influence at Derby. I was surprised that Curtis Davies was not involved as the most senior professional at Derby as part of the management committee. I know there has to be a limit, but he has been at the club longer, I think, than both Rosenior & Rooney. I gather he expressed surprise about Paul Cook getting passed over for the Sheff W job (EFL podcast) & I took that to be an oblique comment in relation to what he thinks about us as well. 

I think it's clear the situation demands an experienced manager at the helm, and even they might find it hard to turn things around quickly. 

Of course a lot of us know just the kind of manager to take hold of this squad (and rosenior)...put his arms around them and give them belief and renewed purpose  in what they are doing....

And I'm not joking here,I seriously believe he's the man to do it and provide the spark that we need....it might not be forever but it's what we need right now.

3ohhwv3D3zSEL73Zzq.gif.0b85ce0078d85a7a725cab39019c4684.gif39627EB700000578-3839087-image-a-6_1476482915161.jpg.06e49f8ff6e15df510b9f0424c675ea8.jpg

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Of course a lot of us know just the kind of manager to take hold of this squad (and rosenior)...put his arms around them and give them belief and renewed purpose  in what they are doing....

And I'm not joking here,I seriously believe he's the man to do it and provide the spark that we need....it might not be forever but it's what we need right now.

3ohhwv3D3zSEL73Zzq.gif.0b85ce0078d85a7a725cab39019c4684.gif39627EB700000578-3839087-image-a-6_1476482915161.jpg.06e49f8ff6e15df510b9f0424c675ea8.jpg

Drake and Stevie Mac dream team is just the sort of mad plan that's crazy enough to work

Happily Sam Allardyce isn't coming to Derby. One  reason I'm glad about that is it would be yet another crazy about turn strategically for the club, abandoning any good we have done with the Academy these past few years. 

The money Allardyce demanded to go to Everton was eye-watering. Even as a wealthy, long-standing Premier League club, there was no way they could have afforded him if it weren't for the multi billionaire new owners who gave him the long term contract he insisted upon, knowing full well they'd still sack him at the end of the season and pay him off and bring Marco Silva in. 

Now why don't we go for Marco Silva? That's someone who plays the type of football which would excite me. 

20 hours ago, Archied said:

Similar could have been said re Jim smith

Nonsense! Only in terms of age, not attitude. The innovations in his time, with Mac's help, showed he was far from a dinosaur. The football we played was infinitely more attractive than the various Allardyce incarnations in the Premier league.

ducking hell. I’d bring in Steve McClaren, Harry Redknapp, Sam Allardyce, anyone proven at this point.

We don’t have the right to be complaining about “Neanderthal” football or whatever. We’re bottom of the league after picking up 1 win in 12. 

People think we’ll not get relegated. Personally I think we will unless we get a proper manager in, not a first time manager and an apprentice still working on his badges.

Now’s not the time to take a risk.

3 hours ago, Bubbles said:

ducking hell. I’d bring in Steve McClaren, Harry Redknapp, Sam Allardyce, anyone proven at this point.

We don’t have the right to be complaining about “Neanderthal” football or whatever. We’re bottom of the league after picking up 1 win in 12. 

People think we’ll not get relegated. Personally I think we will unless we get a proper manager in, not a first time manager and an apprentice still working on his badges.

Now’s not the time to take a risk.

Exactly this ??  Sunderland on paper had 'too good' of a side to go down again but they did. 

We need to start winning soon or we are going to be cut adrift. We are not too good to go down. We are in massive trouble. Not scoring goals. 

The longer we leave an appointment the more games we run out of. We are in a rut & need a couple of wins to break the cycle & any win will do 

I’m going to go for a left field recommendation here (So get your google search engines ready, this is how I found the bloke, let’s not lie)

Zeljko Buvac. Ex assistant at Liverpool and Bourissa Dortmund always called the brain of the management team and supposedly got Klopp playing the entertaining football that they was famous for. And let’s admit it, Serbian chaps aren’t doing to shabby in the championship 

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Happily Sam Allardyce isn't coming to Derby. One  reason I'm glad about that is it would be yet another crazy about turn strategically for the club, abandoning any good we have done with the Academy these past few years. 

The money Allardyce demanded to go to Everton was eye-watering. Even as a wealthy, long-standing Premier League club, there was no way they could have afforded him if it weren't for the multi billionaire new owners who gave him the long term contract he insisted upon, knowing full well they'd still sack him at the end of the season and pay him off and bring Marco Silva in. 

Now why don't we go for Marco Silva? That's someone who plays the type of football which would excite me. 

How do you know Allardyce isnt coming? Is there a story to say he is going elsewhere or something you have heard?

I was never sure what I thought of Allardyce anyway, more Pearson type than McClaren. Although I'm starting to think beggars cant be choosers.

I think most of us would agree that appointing Wayne Rooney as manager now would be ridiculous. My worry is that his presence at the club is likely to put off many of the managers who could save us from relegation. His reputation and influence would make it easy for him to undermine a new manager. If he's upset at being overlooked for the job, he could easily wreck any recovery. I suspect that a new manager couldn't get rid of him for contractual and financial reasons. 

I see people turning their noses up at Allardyce. That's such an amazingly entitled view. If we can get a manager of that quality, the owners will have pulled off a miracle. I suspect that the only decent manager that would touch us would be McClaren. More likely though is that it will be Rooney, because he's effectively blocking anyone else.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What will happen? My gut feeling is he will ask for his contract to be terminated and leave. For me that would be best for all parties, especially in terms of the midfield 3 we need and for the new Manager not to have the shadow of Rooney hanging over him (or her).....

If Rooney was serious about being our next manager he would have been in the technical area rather than trying to play balls into the penalty area.

3 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

I’m going to go for a left field recommendation here (So get your google search engines ready, this is how I found the bloke, let’s not lie)

Zeljko Buvac. Ex assistant at Liverpool and Bourissa Dortmund always called the brain of the management team and supposedly got Klopp playing the entertaining football that they was famous for. And let’s admit it, Serbian chaps aren’t doing to shabby in the championship 

"The Brain" surely is very left field recommendation. Allegedly he earns more money than Klopp does at the moment so I think we have better chance getting the latter and I'm not sure he is ready to leave Liverpool right now.

Archived