v Stoke City (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

It is no surprise that there were questions about the ref today - by all accounts we got a good ref on Wednesday night, even though he didn't give either of the two softish penalty shouts - actually he isn't allowed to as the no penalty rule is still operational, as we saw today.

But yet again, Derby ended up with a stash more yellow cards than Stoke, who seem to have mastered the art of fouling without looking like it, and falling like flies, which the ref kept buying, although they didn't actually cost him very much, they were so soft. Knight's booking was harsh as there was cirtually no contact, but within minutes Stoke had stopped two breakaways with obvious fouls, but no yellows given. But after getting a good ref on Wednesday, what did everyone expect? That's it for the next 5 seasons - refereeing crapdom.

Thanks EFL.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jono said:

I didn’t really notice him until the Buchanan incident .. which for means he must have done pretty much ok. 
Buchanan apart (and let’s be honest Lee was going down softly .. but got crunched before he hit the ground ) .. the only poor one I noticed was towards the end where Joz gave away a free kick on the right, but lost the ball in a tussle leading up to it he got a full knee in his guts which just didn’t get seen. And I don’t think it was accidental .. there was follow through. Dirty play in my book. But the ref was blind sided and they can’t get every one right 

The Joz one, I thought the ref had a very good view of that incident but decided not to give it. There was another one when Knight got took out but because he is as hard as nails he didn't react so the ref didn't give it.

Still pisspoor reffing imo. 

3 hours ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

In a VAR world it’s a penalty. A harsh one, but anywhere else on the pitch it’s a foul.

Eh? If it's a foul 'anywhere else on the pitch' then how's it 'harsh'? 

Anyway, 17 shouts now, none given. Wow! Without bad luck we'd have none at all.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Eh? If it's a foul 'anywhere else on the pitch' then how's it 'harsh'? 

Anyway, 17 shouts now, none given. Wow! Without bad luck we'd have none at all.

Tbf in general, I'd argue over the rest of the pitch there wouldn't be the same kind of incidents often. Defenders don't dive in to block or tackle as much unless its in the goalmouth, players aren't shifting the ball, or making driving, darting movements and hanging a leg hoping for impact. This one wasn't as 'goalmouth specific' as other incidents but I'm still not sure if in the middle of the park it happens. 

IMO Buchanan knew the man was coming, so he shifted the ball and started to go down before impact happened. He could easily have turned away, stayed on his feet and passed or moved away, but he wasn't going anywhere dangerous so he started to drop and took the impact. But you see them given, agreed. 

In general the first half was pretty promising and we looked controlled without having a cutting edge. 

Second half we needed to change formation /personnel to start to hammer home our advantage but instead we lost momentum and the substitutions didn't help really.

Solid but uninspiring...can we get beyond that? I want Rooney to be replaced by a more experienced manager so he's doing fine I suppose and I won't allow my preference to use the Whittaker incident to beat him over the head...we lacked pace, drive, so he let the young lad have a go and he was awful, so he hooked him, fair enough for me. 

disappointing to see Ibe still carrying a barrel and looking as unfit now as he did when he arrived.

if he can’t get fit then he should expect to get released

8 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

It is no surprise that there were questions about the ref today - by all accounts we got a good ref on Wednesday night, even though he didn't give either of the two softish penalty shouts - actually he isn't allowed to as the no penalty rule is still operational, as we saw today.

But yet again, Derby ended up with a stash more yellow cards than Stoke, who seem to have mastered the art of fouling without looking like it, and falling like flies, which the ref kept buying, although they didn't actually cost him very much, they were so soft. Knight's booking was harsh as there was cirtually no contact, but within minutes Stoke had stopped two breakaways with obvious fouls, but no yellows given. But after getting a good ref on Wednesday, what did everyone expect? That's it for the next 5 seasons - refereeing crapdom.

Thanks EFL.

Glad somebody else saw what was happening too. It’s a “tactic” a few teams have used recently - are we naive or is it “gamesmanship “ or is it cheating? Wazza gave the ref a full-on “hair-drier” at 90 minutes and totally justified in my view. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

disappointing to see Ibe still carrying a barrel and looking as unfit now as he did when he arrived.

if he can’t get fit then he should expect to get released

They've put him on an intense one on one routine so assume he was in much worse condition on arrival. On the evidence of those last couple of mins though, he looks a few weeks off still & could do with regular under 23s football. Suspect there's still some psychological issues also so being in the matchday squad & occasional bench cameo may help with that.

9 hours ago, rynny said:

I like to think I'm fair and admit if we get more decisions than we should. 

I gave the one example of the Stoke player not getting booked for the same type of foul as all 3 of our bookings, stopping a counter attack, which a different Stoke player got booked for as well.

Fair enough but that was only one in the game. Overall I don’t recall us being particularly harshly treated.

8 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Thanks EFL.

I have no love the EFL but what have they got to do with it? They don’t appoint referees do they?

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair enough but that was only one in the game. Overall I don’t recall us being particularly harshly treated.

There were 3-4 times where they stepped across our players and body checked them, made no attempt at the ball, Jozwiak got a couple and so did Knight. Then there were a few times when we pressured the defender and they dropped to the floor as soon as we got near them, Whittaker had one against him, as did Knight and Bielik. The Bielik being the worse. 

Just now, rynny said:

There were 3-4 times where they stepped across our players and body checked them, made no attempt at the ball, Jozwiak got a couple and so did Knight. Then there were a few times when we pressured the defender and they dropped to the floor as soon as we got near them, Whittaker had one against him, as did Knight and Bielik. The Bielik being the worse. 

I guess you’re right but, as I said before, it didn’t strike me during the game that he seemed to be favouring Stoke.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I guess you’re right but, as I said before, it didn’t strike me during the game that he seemed to be favouring Stoke.

When it is small, little ones it can go unnoticed. When we have a ref that has had bad game for us in the past I tend to watch them more closely to see if it was a one off or a consistent thing. 

38 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Glad somebody else saw what was happening too. It’s a “tactic” a few teams have used recently - are we naive or is it “gamesmanship “ or is it cheating? Wazza gave the ref a full-on “hair-drier” at 90 minutes and totally justified in my view. 

It's been in our game since I was a kid watching in the mid 60s, Francis Lee was a master at getting fouls and Penaltys, He'd run at defenders and kick his heel, Fall over and the ref bought it, Dean Sturridge the same.

In todays world of football we're told to accept the slightest touch on a player for a foul to be given or a penalty to be awarded, A player feigns a head injury and the game is stopped, It's now the norm to see 5-6 mins(both halfs)added time with the inclusion of substitues.

Back in the day a 3pm kick off, HT would be 3-45, 2nd half to start at 3-55 and the game finished at 4-40, Now there's more stops than a car bought from Albert Looms.

“gamesmanship" is a lovely word used by Proffesional punters on TV, We call it "Cheating"

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I still reckon that if we could assess games impartially, not easy to do when you're a fan, we probably pretty much give as good as we get when it comes to cheating, gamesmanship, benefit of the doubt, questionable referee decisions etc. 

Did not want to start a new thread about the pitch but unless it is my failing eyesight or Rams TV quality, it does not seem to be tip top condition. We are not even in the middle of the winter and there seem to be a few areas looking bare. I am wondering if we are not spending as much on it maintaining it because normally it is very much on par wih PL pitches.

For the conspiracy theorists, it does not explain our lack of goals though...

4 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Did not want to start a new thread about the pitch but unless it is my failing eyesight or Rams TV quality, it does not seem to be tip top condition.

Thought it looked poor too. Is the new-style 'woven pitch' more costly to maintain?

Archived