v Brentford (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

Rooney is definitely giving himself a good chance of getting the job permanently. Much to my surprise if I'm honest.

However I think the next three games will be critical. On balance, we have dropped four points in two games which was hugely disappointing, but also we have gained three or four points against expectations. So his position is neutral.

So if you were the board, you'd probably be looking at the next three and seeing it as one final audition for Rooney. 6-9 points and you would struggle to conjure up an argument against him getting the job and this comes from someone who hasn't been a fan of him being at the club since day one.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most positive I have felt this season.  Not the performance but the players, fighting and playing as a team. The nasty side of the game, the time wasting, all the signs that showed some guts.  None of that was there under Cocu.  The first signs of hope that this side are in for a battle and no go down for a wimper.  We rode our luck but we set up not to be a soft touch or lose our shape which we did so often away last season and this.

Games and perceptions turn on such little things...Brentford missed a couple of sitters and I couldn't see us scoring, so if they had converted one it would have felt like a pretty disappointing performance. 

However, they didn't. Better to be a lucky manager and whilst Cocu must be the unluckiest manager ever, Rooney duly rode his luck and we come away with a point that I would very have happily taken. Instead of looking toothless, we look solid. Attitude of the players was spot on, just quite defensive having Shinnie and Knight and Holmes... 

Knight, Forsyth, Bielik really good. Jozwiak huffed and puffed. Clarke, Shinnie, Davies did nothing wrong. Mcdonald was impressive on his debut and Lawrence did well too. CKR didn't do much for me and Holmes' inclusion is still a mystery. 

Valuable point. 

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Am I the only one who thinks Brentford aren’t that good? Everything appears very over complicated with an air of superiority, thst they are automatically too good. Thought we got our tactics spot on to counter them.

Thought we were worth the win tonight to be honest and there’s not many times I can say that this season. Desperate for Jozwiak to score, think that may be the key for us really starting to open up defences.

Onwards to Saturday.

I think losing Benrahma and Watkins will have hurt them, but Toney looks a very good acquisition. I expect them to be in the playoffs come the end of the season. 

I’ll take that and I think all of us would before the game. 
I genuinely thought we’d get beat. 

Gritty, determined, workmanlike display. 

For me only Holmes was below a 7 for me today. All the rest had solid games and worked hard, all above average for their work rate and effort. 

Holmes sadly is lacking this season and I’m glad they made the half time sub. Shame for the lad, but needs to be sat for a while. 

Shame we are lacking that bit up front, but we are trying to do it with only 3 players v a whole back line and defensive midfield in place. 

Well done to Rooney. This appointment is a big one and if Rooney gets the job and if he does ill back him and don't want to be negative and I apologise but we will not get promoted with him as manager and some may disagree and your entitled to your opinion but he's a rookie and will make mistakes along the way and this appointment will show what the new owners want. Prepare for the links to man United in a year or other prem teams if he actually does do well with his name. 

Someone said perfectly the other week when we had clement if we had gone for a warnock or allardyce or dyche then we would have been up already. 

Like I say not looking for a argument on here and if he gets it he will get my full support just will be less optimistic about a promotion push in the near future 

A good point.

we showed determination and fight,which,together with a healthy dose of luck gained us a valuable draw.

we are still struggling for goal opportunities though.

Kazim is lining them up with his strength,superb layoffs and touches but jos and Lawrence are struggling to convert anything into goals....and neither are the midfield presently.

something is still missing in the final third but we have to be encouraged by the increasing performance and we are slowly but surely lifting ourselves out of the bottom 3.

20 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Te Wierk back to Holland at Xmas on loan. I feel sorry for him.

Agree but thought he looked a bit out of his depth here

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:
17 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I couldn't see or hear the game.

1. How lucky were we, would you say? (Not much / a bit / a lot)

2. Did the players seem to play with increased confidence and self-belief?

My gut feeling is that Q2 is more important at the moment.

Expand  

1. Brentford clearly hadn't made their offering to the god of open goals but we worked hard and made them look like an ordinary team rather than promotion hopefuls.

2. Yes, though some further work on what to do around the opposition's box wouldn't go amiss.

They deserve great credit for the shift they put in. The confidence will come

Thanks!

It sounds like tonight's "luck" sounded more like it was deserved because of our hard work, increased confidence, and better play - and even if they'd scored against us, we might not be too downcast.

... and opposed to the type of "luck" when the other team has outplayed us, but messed up their chances, and where the other team should have clearly won it.

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Well done to Rooney. This appointment is a big one and if Rooney gets the job and if he does ill back him and don't want to be negative and I apologise but we will not get promoted with him as manager and some may disagree and your entitled to your opinion but he's a rookie and will make mistakes along the way and this appointment will show what the new owners want. Prepare for the links to man United in a year or other prem teams if he actually does do well with his name. 

Someone said perfectly the other week when we had clement if we had gone for a warnock or allardyce or dyche then we would have been up already. 

Like I say not looking for a argument on here and if he gets it he will get my full support just will be less optimistic about a promotion push in the near future 

Give him the job till Xmas then till end of season. Then 1 year rolling contract if looking good.

We could have lost by two or three goals if they had taken their chances. There again we could have also nicked it when Jozwiak hit the post. So all in all  I'm happy with a great hard fought for point away from home, against a team that played us off the pitch last season.

Just hope that we can build on the fact we've kept two clean sheets. That this gives us the confidence to start getting forward more allowing us to create more chances and thus more goals. 

A very good point tonight, was solid, and limited them to very few chances, deffo not a bottom 6 side that is for sure, Bielik and Shinnie very good again, Knight full of energy, Jozwiak looking better each game, very unlucky not to score but it will come, Davis will be a big miss but overall, feeling alot happier than I was a few weeks ago, think the first home win of the season will come on Saturday against Stoke. 

Good point against a good side. We look a lot better defensively, but still a big bag of poop from an attacking perspective.

Still have to start somewhere and being hard to beat is as good a place as any. Just need to sort the final third and we'll be golden. Brentford only looked slightly better than us and only in brief spells. Very even other than that.

Also wish we'd use our subs properly. Kazim looked shattered even in the first half.

Archived