v Brentford (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McDonald looks a real player to me. A right sided Buchanan (although I think Buchanan is better defensively), very much in the mould of Bogle. Yet another one off the production line. 

Regardless of the current league position and takeover or no takeover, the future of this club can only be bright with all these academy products to either sell on for profit  and invest in the team or to grow with us and make us a more competitive team at a higher level.

This is different to previous years, we’ve had 2 or 3 good prospects maximum at any one time, now we have 6 or 7 with more coming behind them. All good prospects. We’ve never had this.

5 hours ago, Archied said:

Agree Lawrence works hard , for me his problem going forward is always his first touch ,he is always struggling to get the ball back under control

I do think that’s partly down to the quality of the balls to him of late...some of the passes to him were hit so hard,I swear I heard a sonic bang.

46 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

McDonald looks a real player to me. A right sided Buchanan (although I think Buchanan is better defensively), very much in the mould of Bogle. Yet another one off the production line. 

Regardless of the current league position and takeover or no takeover, the future of this club can only be bright with all these academy products to either sell on for profit  and invest in the team or to grow with us and make us a more competitive team at a higher level.

This is different to previous years, we’ve had 2 or 3 good prospects maximum at any one time, now we have 6 or 7 with more coming behind them. All good prospects. We’ve never had this.

A lot of this is down to Mel investing 6 years ago. He definitely needs credit for this. He also gave us access to watch these players on RamsTV before they are anywhere near the first team so supporters can watch their development beforehand. 

It's a snowball effect when youngsters can see there's a pathway. 

27 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I do think that’s partly down to the quality of the balls to him of late...some of the passes to him were hit so hard,I swear I heard a sonic bang.

We are pretty shocking at simple 10 yard passes. They’re always too hard, too soft, slightly bobbly, slightly behind the man etc etc. Seems to be impossible for us to put a pass in stride. 

46 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We even have Ebosele who is in front of McDonald in the U23 pecking order, but he's currently out injured for an unspecified amount of time.

In the last season and a bit alone, we've seen 11 academy graduates in the first team: Bogle, McDonald, Buchanan, Lowe, JBrown, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker, Bennett, Stretton.
There are a number of others, such as Archie Brown that will get a chance before the season ends as well.

Well played last night lads , against one of the better teams in this league , Bielik , Shinnie and Davies were immense , pleased for Macdonald , stood up to the task well , a word for Tom , did very well 2nd half , lots of hard work , desire and a couple of half chances , could finally be the making of Tom under Waynes and Macs guidance , lets get that home win Saturday lads , the Rama are waking up , COYR

14 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Well done to Rooney. This appointment is a big one and if Rooney gets the job and if he does ill back him and don't want to be negative and I apologise but we will not get promoted with him as manager and some may disagree and your entitled to your opinion but he's a rookie and will make mistakes along the way and this appointment will show what the new owners want. Prepare for the links to man United in a year or other prem teams if he actually does do well with his name. 

Someone said perfectly the other week when we had clement if we had gone for a warnock or allardyce or dyche then we would have been up already. 

Like I say not looking for a argument on here and if he gets it he will get my full support just will be less optimistic about a promotion push in the near future 

Well done to Rooney. This appointment is a big one. If Rooney gets the job I'll back him. I don't want to be negative and I apologise if I am but we will not get promoted with him as manager. Some of you may disagree and you are entitled to your opinion but he is a rookie and he will make mistakes along the way. This appointment will show what the new owners want. With his name prepare for the links to Man United or other Prem teams in a year, if he actually does well. 

Someone said it perfectly the other week, when we had Clement if we had gone for Warnock or Allardyce or Dyche then we would have been up already. 

Like I say, I am not looking for a argument on here and if he gets the job he will get my full support.  It is just that I will be less optimistic about a promotion push in the near future.

FTFY - sorry I am no the grammar police but that was hard work  

15 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He was ok.

He's probably the most limited midfielder we've had since Savage.

OK so you think Shinnie is a donkey but the more creative players are not on fire at the moment are they,  we are the lowest scoring team in the championship so its vitally important to have a defensive midfield player to do the donkey work of protecting the back four to win back possession and to give simple passes to the underperforming more talented players in the hope we can actually start scoring some goals.  Even a donkey deserves a pat on the back now and then.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. Mac doing his bit without doubt.

Have you evidence to support your no doubt comment, or is this wishful thinking? If you do have evidence with regard to how he is aiding and abetting Rooney, I would also be interested to learn more about how he is aiding and abetting the board and potential new owners with transition arrangements.

23 minutes ago, cstand said:

OK so you think Shinnie is a donkey but the more creative players are not on fire at the moment are they,  we are the lowest scoring team in the championship so its vitally important to have a defensive midfield player to do the donkey work of protecting the back four to win back possession and to give simple passes to the underperforming more talented players in the hope we can actually start scoring some goals.  Even a donkey deserves a pat on the back now and then.

I don't think he's a donkey

1 hour ago, Dethorn said:

Well done to Rooney. This appointment is a big one. If Rooney gets the job I'll back him. I don't want to be negative and I apologise if I am but we will not get promoted with him as manager. Some of you may disagree and you are entitled to your opinion but he is a rookie and he will make mistakes along the way. This appointment will show what the new owners want. With his name prepare for the links to Man United or other Prem teams in a year, if he actually does well. 

Someone said it perfectly the other week, when we had Clement if we had gone for Warnock or Allardyce or Dyche then we would have been up already. 

Like I say, I am not looking for a argument on here and if he gets the job he will get my full support.  It is just that I will be less optimistic about a promotion push in the near future.

FTFY - sorry I am no the grammar police but that was hard work  

You correct me and then put sorry I am no the grammar police. Do you mean not the grammar police. Nice one for making yourself look like a smart arse and ended up looking like a dried up turd 

53 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Have you evidence to support your no doubt comment, or is this wishful thinking? If you do have evidence with regard to how he is aiding and abetting Rooney, I would also be interested to learn more about how he is aiding and abetting the board and potential new owners with transition arrangements.

Ohhh ? you tease @i-Ram. If you must know I have bugged Schteeve’s phone and although I don’t understand Dutch, i can make out the odd word here & there like “schore more goalsch Wazzzcha” and “don’t conscheed any goalsch Wazzacha” and “Schee you in Sctarbuchs after the gamesch have closched”. ?

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We even have Ebosele who is in front of McDonald in the U23 pecking order, but he's currently out injured for an unspecified amount of time.

In the last season and a bit alone, we've seen 11 academy graduates in the first team: Bogle, McDonald, Buchanan, Lowe, JBrown, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker, Bennett, Stretton.
There are a number of others, such as Archie Brown that will get a chance before the season ends as well.

you forgot Hector-Ingram as well. 

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Not an academy graduate in my book as we signed him as a 21 year old. 

The same applies to Roos who we signed aged 22, and the same for Duncan who we've signed aged 19. Watson, Hutchinson and Shonibare all fall in the same group.

ok sure then, didn't know that of Hector-Ingram.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Ohhh ? you tease @i-Ram. If you must know I have bugged Schteeve’s phone and although I don’t understand Dutch, i can make out the odd word here & there like “schore more goalsch Wazzzcha” and “don’t conscheed any goalsch Wazzacha” and “Schee you in Sctarbuchs after the gamesch have closched”. ?

I think you know nothing more than me then, because I have Schteeeve’s phone bugged too, and all I am hearing is him shouting “wheres the fuxsch the monies Khalesh”.

13 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

For me he is terribly inconsistent and really it’s his form going forward that I find difficult he can do something brilliant but most of the time his decision making in the final third is bad. I always say credit where it’s due he does work hard coming back. Something I imagine has been ingrained into him from the Man United academy. 
For me his best season under us was under rowett and some under lampard too where he isn’t the main man, during the rowett year he was asked to track back with wierman all the time and break on the counter. Vydra is was the lazy on but that’s fine as he scored 20 goals. 
A lot of people just see him loose the ball running at players instead of passing or passing when he should have run and can’t say a good word about him. 
I normally watch from the side he’s playing on in the second have and I’m always say there thinking you can’t fault his work rate. I think he’d be better staying further forward sometimes so he can be more comfortable when he gets a chance to run at someone. 

I think you have helped me to clarify my thoughts about Tom Lawrence. Thanks.

Since I wrote my comment I have been feeling that although he may seem to make too many wrong choices sometimes ... and that it doesn't matter if lots of his choices do not pay-off, if a few get converted into goals!

I have also been overlooking the importance of him having the self-confidence to take on defenders, and try ambitious passes. 

And! Because he does seem to get into a reasonable number of shooting opportunities, and into good attacking positions, I sometimes wonder if he shouldn't do some meditation training!!!!! Or something. It seems to me that if his mind could just be a tiny bit more relaxed, and just feel like he has a fraction of a second longer to focus on his shots, and decision making, he'd be twice as effective.

And if he doesn't fancy meditation, perhaps increasing his confidence levels will have a similar result.

We are so used to seeing goal-reel highlights from top players when every pass and shot has been perfect - but we can forget how many shots and passes do not come off.

One of my New Year's Resolution should be to only say nice things about Tom Lawrence in 2021!

11 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

No fella don’t twist it, my point is he works hard and he’s always doing doggies up and down but people see him make rash decisions when he’s going forward and can’t see past that. He’s still poor going forward, I just think if your playing a team like Brentford who will move the ball around fast and your wanting someone to press and track back then he’s your man. As is Joz.  Whether he then scores a goal or makes the right pass instead is a different matter entirely.  
Now we have competition for place on the wings with Holmes Joz Lawrence and Ibe he might stay more focused. 
Also he’s the most booked player we’ve had over the past season or two, which just shows you he works back. 

I'm not sure about Lawrence at all, but if there's no question he tracks back and will defend well on occasions, he's a much harder worked than many fans give him credit for. The problem is that his body language and facial expressions often look like he doesn't care or try and. Because of that some people dislike him and ignore the good stuff he does.

Such is life.

Archived