v Brentford (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

36 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the frustrating thing is that Brentford are a good team but they played poorly for them last night and were there for the taking had we shown more care in attack.

Anyone watching the highlights will realise we were lucky. What the highlights don’t show is how much they gave us the ball. We need players like Ibe, Sibley and Stretton on the pitch to give us that goal threat. And we should use CKR as a battering ram for an hour and give Waghorn half an hour .

Substitutes have no chance to make a difference in ten minutes or so.

I would suggest that Brentford played just as well as we let them?

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I notice that the people that use this argument have all of a sudden started omitting Hughton from their list of experienced managers that will guarantee promotion from this division, is there any reason why???

Still cracking manager just forgot put him in.

10 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Think we are only 3 players off being a decent side, 1 striker who can score alot even though Kazim has been decent, a creative player hopefully Ibe and a real solid centre back with pace to hold the defensive line together. 

So a third of the outfield players then! That's not ONLY as you put it.  

My view:

2 strikers

1 Centre back

I CDM

1 attacking midfielder

Won't happen of course and we will be lower table all year.

Watched it again.

first half was better than the second half.
We didn’t offer much threat but it was good to see another academy graduate step up when required.

My concern about Rooney taking over wasn't so much that he was a rookie, but that he and the coaching staff were ingrained in the Cocu management team, which had stripped the team of all confidence and desire. 

But Millwall and last night showed he already has them (admittedly from an incredibly low bar) working harder, playing for each other more and giving it a go right to the end. That's the only place he could have started.

He doesn't have the tools at his disposal to have us flying up the league because player for player we're short of the required talent, particularly in the creative element of the final third, but he should at least be able to stabilise and get us out of the bottom three and into mid table.

Steps in the right direction, and that's about all we can ask for until we can get better players in. 

If he does get the job, I'm becoming less concerned than I was a few weeks ago, especially if he brings in his own people. 

We've definitely turned a corner in terms of desire and commitment. To go to The Den and get a result, and then a point at Brentford, who are a very good side, shows things are changing.  As most have said, we lack that creativity in the middle and also an out and out striker.  If we can hang in there through Christmas, and the January tfr window addresses this (a must), we'll finish strongly I believe.  Our final ball too is poor, but that will change I feel.  Shout out to McDonald - did well.  Desperately want to see a fully fit Ibe having a go.  He's so direct and has the ability to do something special.  We need that spark to turn a point into 3.  

I believe it's becoming abundantly obvious that Wisdom and Holmes are the main weakness in this team. I am hoping Ibe is going to replace Holmes very soon as is as we all remember him from his past experience with us. Wisdom is an issue, if Davies has a serious injury Wisdom is just not good enough to replace him and the alternatives do not fill me with confidence. Unless someone steps up to the mark, and please not Bielik as he is starting to make a difference to our midfield.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

If you think Lawrence's workrate and tracking back has been acceptable over the last 10 games then I'm not going to bother to reply to you. 

He got DROPPED. For not doing the basic requirements.

I really don't rate him and his all too infrequent better performance are fat too rare. Last night I thought he did ok and I am very happy that he surprised me

11 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

We had no shots on target and escaped defeat thanks to the crossbar...we played like that under Cocu a lot, Roy! ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with a point there and was impressed by some of the things we did. Credit to Rooney for getting us doing the simple things better and for being a lot more resolute. But this isn't a world away from what got us into this mess in the first place.

I still think we ultimately need a new driver at the wheel. 

The point at Bournemouth? 4 shots on target, an effort cleared off the line in the last min? Done without Bielik but with Rooney. 

I agree with you with the good Rooney has done. If Rooney grows into the role and the team grow with him it may work. Still not solved our goal scoring problem though. 

12 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Exactly. To get out of a rut, first stop losing. Once that habit is established work on scoring. Another credit to Rooney. Don’t let us be fooled by his tabloid-association; he’s not putting a single foot wrong & is showing real acumen for the job. 

Aided and abetted by McClaren a little, perhaps?  I just don't think we should underestimate his influence is all.

Decent performance overall. Not many chances created for either side but they had the better ones, yet we could have nicked it. Good situations in second half where final ball let us down, Jozwiak in particular but he was really unlucky hitting the post. I think it will improve in the final third the more we play under Rooney, the quality is there we’re just not quite putting it together. 

Thought Marshall and the Defence were excellent, Clarke had his best game for ages. Shinnie and Bielik were immense especially the latter, however I think only playing one of them alongside Knight for example could give us a more attacking balance. 

Tom Lawrence did well when he came on. People wrongly assert that he’s lazy due to his body language (Ince used to receive the same criticism), he always puts a shift in and last season was his most consistent when his stats in terms of goals and assists were right up there with some of the best in the league in that position.  If we want to defend from the front and press he is excellent at it. He hasn’t hit the heights this season though and something that can be criticised is his game intelligence particularly in defence, he will switch off for second then chase back and sometimes save the day, or give away a stupid foul or leave the defence exposed. At 26/27 is this part of his game going to improve, I’m not sure so we need to try and use him areas where he can make an impact.

We are moving in the right direction, get 1 win out of the next 2 games and I think Rooney has a very compelling case to be given the job.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Waghorn should be embarrassed that CKR holds the ball up better than him at 35 years old on the 80th minute blowing out his arse. Just confirms further than Waghorn is more use out wide. 

Forgot to mention Kornell McDonald. Looks like he could be a useful edition. Great energy and confidence. Was unlucky not to win a penalty. 

I seem to be in a minority of one but I honestly thought McDonald really struggled defensively. A lot of dangerous attacks seemed to start coming  down our right hand side once he came on. He did look very promising going forward though. So on reflection, a perfect like-for-like replacement for Bogle:-)

7 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

I seem to be in a minority of one but I honestly thought McDonald really struggled defensively. A lot of dangerous attacks seemed to start coming  down our right hand side once he came on. He did look very promising going forward though. So on reflection, a perfect like-for-like replacement for Bogle:-)

His inexperience showed (even at U23 level he's considered inexperienced) as he was dragged out of position a couple of times, but made up for it by getting back and putting some form of challenge in every time. He certainly didn't let himself down - not ready to be a regular but perfectly fine to have him in there for short periods of time like last night.

53 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Aided and abetted by McClaren a little, perhaps?  I just don't think we should underestimate his influence is all.

I doubt McClaren is having any influence on Rooney, it is much more likely that Fergie who WR is in constant touch with, is giving the advice needed. 

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

His inexperience showed (even at U23 level he's considered inexperienced) as he was dragged out of position a couple of times, but made up for it by getting back and putting some form of challenge in every time. He certainly didn't let himself down - not ready to be a regular but perfectly fine to have him in there for short periods of time like last night.

Personally thought he looked more secure there, and played better football than Wis. Wis looks like he's been on a 'pie and chips' diet! He also looks mostly positionally lost at RB. Looked better at CH cos he can just run up and down in a straight line! ?

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’ve seen him play a few times for the U23s and thought that whilst good going forward, he was naive in defence. When I saw him come on I feared the worst but I thought he did well.

What stood out was his confidence compared to some of the senior players.

Archived