Cocu left by mutual consent

EnigmaRam

4 minutes ago, enachops said:

I agree with the points @Davidmakes re: Cocu - a classy guy right to the end, I wanted him to succeed but unfortunately it didn’t work out.

I don’t think he’s been disrespected though. The majority of comments have been positive since the news yesterday. It’s obvious he’d go after QPR and especially Barnsley. We’re bottom, playing terrible football. No way is that acceptable, obviously that would be a point for discussion. Generally Cocu has been well supported by the fans, no club would be different to ours over recent weeks. 

Agree on the no club would be different, I’m just becoming a bit soft in my old age.

I also don’t believe for a second that what gets written on here does not reach the players/staff at the club. Max Lowe once shared a screenshot from this forum with the Craig Ramage comments which saw him chucked off air.

Player gets home after a poor performance, knows he’s been poor. Just like many men in their twenties logs on to Twitter, 35 direct mentions calling him all names under the sun. 

Reads the comments, screenshots, links to Facebook, this forum, League 1 at best, absolute donkey and far worse. It does happen.

How can that be good for morale? If I’m sat there on a guaranteed wage of say 20k for the next 3 years, I would probably think F it.

Getting behind the team isn’t limited to the stands of Pride Park. This can be done online as well.

Cocu is on Instagram, he has the internet, one night has he stumbled across this forum, what topics has he read?

I don’t believe any kind of criticism should not be aired, make out everything is great, call it what it is.

But we can use our words better. In topic titles and posts.

I haven’t always been like this, some will say I’ve had my opinions bought by the club which isn’t true at all, I’ve aged and had my eyes opened by personal experiences over the last 10 years and the effects words can have.

Still not perfect, will have mini relapses if something triggers me.

Finally nobody will ever convince me that this forum should have a next manager thread whilst one is in place regardless of how I feel about them.

That and the sack Cocu topic made me withdraw from the forum more in recent weeks with embarrassment, embarrassed that I created this platform for this content. 

I’m sure this honesty won’t stop certain members complaining that I remove posts I don’t agree with but there you go ?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the whole matter has been handling with great dignity by all sides.

The situation were in league has made the decision regarding the manager a lot easier to make. 

The new owner who ever was always going want to make changes and take the club in the direction he see's it going.

Maybe he'll take on board 'some' of Mel's vision of building the club around a strong Academy and developing our players.  

Serious money is being spent purchasing the club,ground and all the other infrastructure and assets of the club.

There has been long  time that has already lapse since negotiations started on the purchase since May.

Our new direction MUST have been formulated and laid out.

The first thing which is now most pressing is the choice of manager. 

I think the eventual takeover will be announced with big fanfare and then we will get a  new 'high profile' name as manager (but not i think Mr Rooney).

Welcome to a another new chapter in the rollercoaster story of Derby County Football Club.

Never a dull moment being a Ram.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Agree on the no club would be different, I’m just becoming a bit soft in my old age.

I also don’t believe for a second that what gets written on here does not reach the players/staff at the club. Max Lowe once shared a screenshot from this forum with the Craig Ramage comments which saw him chucked off air.

Player gets home after a poor performance, knows he’s been poor. Just like many men in their twenties logs on to Twitter, 35 direct mentions calling him all names under the sun. 

Reads the comments, screenshots, links to Facebook, this forum, League 1 at best, absolute donkey and far worse. It does happen.

How can that be good for morale? If I’m sat there on a guaranteed wage of say 20k for the next 3 years, I would probably think F it.

Getting behind the team isn’t limited to the stands of Pride Park. This can be done online as well.

Cocu is on Instagram, he has the internet, one night has he stumbled across this forum, what topics has he read?

I don’t believe any kind of criticism should not be aired, make out everything is great, call it what it is.

But we can use our words better. In topic titles and posts.

I haven’t always been like this, some will say I’ve had my opinions bought by the club which isn’t true at all, I’ve aged and had my eyes opened by personal experiences over the last 10 years and the effects words can have.

Still not perfect, will have mini relapses if something triggers me.

Finally nobody will ever convince me that this forum should have a next manager thread whilst one is in place regardless of how I feel about them.

That and the sack Cocu topic made me withdraw from the forum more in recent weeks with embarrassment, embarrassed that I created this platform for this content. 

I’m sure this honesty won’t stop certain members complaining that I remove posts I don’t agree with but there you go ?

Could not agree more - I believe social media comments have a big impact, particularly the venomous negativity that can be too easily written.  Everyone should be able to express an opinion but they should be articulated without a personal attack on an individual / individuals

We do have "x out now" and "who replaces X?" threads every songle time the team are in a bad patch.

Lose three in a row and we also get comments along the lines of "I've watched Derby since the stone age and this is the worst team/performance/manager/player I have ever seen" and, inevitably "I can see no way this can ever get better without sacking the manager" - It's just the way it goes.

What really got my goat with Cocu's situation was the press stories about Rooney being installed.

34 minutes ago, David said:

Exactly, the “next manager post” whilst we still have/had one in place is distasteful,disrespectful and genuinely gut wrenchingly vile. 
It was inevitable that the sack Cocu threads were established with the current situation, that said it doesn’t sit well with me. 
The change had to take place sooner rather than later though and in the end the correct decision has been made by all involved and I wish PC and his staff all the very best for the future. 
Onwards and Upwards now for the Rams and the next (exciting) Chapter in our great clubs history. 

I have been a big supporter of Cocu, but something had to change, I note the comments about his style of play not being right for the championship and I think there is some truth in that. He has left us with a stronger although not complete squad. I wish his and his team well. 

it does feel that the new owners are having the decks cleared before they arrive and I would imagine they have already identified a new manager which I doubt will be Rooney

5 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

Can't see how you can blame Mel for lampard moving. If it wasn't Chelsea, lampard would still be here. Blaming Mel for lampard wanting out is ridiculous imo. I agree, ultimately it's ducked us up but that's not Mel's fault. 

I disagree, it was a gamble in many ways and it didn’t work because ultimately he walked away after a season.

The question I’d ask you is would you right now at this moment in time accept a manager who was going to be here for one season?.

I think the answer is obvious and Lampard was always going to move on quickly if moderately successful, it hasn’t helped us long term.

Maybe blame is too strong a word but I stand by my rationale for what I said

12 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

I disagree, it was a gamble in many ways and it didn’t work because ultimately he walked away after a season.

The question I’d ask you is would you right now at this moment in time accept a manager who was going to be here for one season?.

I think the answer is obvious and Lampard was always going to move on quickly if moderately successful, it hasn’t helped us long term.

Why didn't it work?, we got to the playoff final, had one of the best seasons in a long time, how was mel to know he'd walk. I stand by my opinion that if it wasn't chelsea he'd still be here, so in no way is mel to blame.

Your asking a hypothetical question in, would i accept a manager for one season. So speaking hypothetically, if he got us promoted in his one season, then obviously, yes i would. No different to players, would you have not had Aljoša Asanović for one season, knowing how good he was?

I think blame is a strong word, i just can't see how Mel can be blamed for any of this, he hires a high profile rookie, he's wrong, he hires an experienced manager who has won league titles, he's wrong.

Only my opinion of course ?

22 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

The longest serving manager in the Championship currently has just 2 full seasons under his belt.

Long term managers simply don’t exist at this level, you either get promoted or you’re going stale and fired.

Mel could not have foreseen Chelsea wanting Lampard after 1 year, I doubt even Frank believed he would be at Chelsea a year later. He bought a house and set up home here, would he have done this had it been just a year?

4 hours ago, Donnyram said:

Could not agree more - I believe social media comments have a big impact, particularly the venomous negativity that can be too easily written.  Everyone should be able to express an opinion but they should be articulated without a personal attack on an individual / individuals

Yes some of the Lawrence stuff is vile and embarrassing and I struggle to see how it helps anyone.

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

Why didn't it work?, we got to the playoff final, had one of the best seasons in a long time, how was mel to know he'd walk. I stand by my opinion that if it wasn't chelsea he'd still be here, so in no way is mel to blame.

Your asking a hypothetical question in, would i accept a manager for one season. So speaking hypothetically, if he got us promoted in his one season, then obviously, yes i would. No different to players, would you have not had Aljoša Asanović for one season, knowing how good he was?

I think blame is a strong word, i just can't see how Mel can be blamed for any of this, he hires a high profile rookie, he's wrong, he hires an experienced manager who has won league titles, he's wrong.

Only my opinion of course ?

All about opinions and possibly agree with the word “ Blame “ but I do stand by what I said.

I think we all agree we need some stability but stability has to run alongside progression

20 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Cocu did a good job last season, considering all the off field poo we had to deal with, so I won’t peddle the line: it just didn’t work. He wouldn’t have been ‘mutually terminated’ had he had us more competitive this season.

I think that’s just it. We’ve obviously prepared poorly during Covid and for this new season. We’ve looked unfit, off-the-field decisions and injuries have crippled us and now we just look a team so devoid of confidence that we look completely lost. Cocu didn’t have the answer and it culminated in one of his coaches making strategy changes in the last game (Rosenior moving Rooney into midfield) highlighting the fact that we’ve simply lost our way. 

I guess these things happen in football and management in itself can be a bit of an enigma. I’m not going to forget the job he did last season though, which was admirable. A bad six months, a terrible three months, have just taken their toll. 

In my time as a Derby fan, we’ve never had a manager that hasn’t had some semblance of the fan base asking for them to lose their job in the tenure here. The next manager will go through the exact same issues. Rinse and repeat. 

Yep. Enter the next soon to be ex DCFC manager....

Archived