Abu Derby County

tinman

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This blew me away. Our ground has been mortgaged to a third party without us knowing. Pretty grim that. 

Think it was announced a few weeks a go when dell lent Derby money, it was the collateral required.

Think the mortgage is on the lease the stadium or something like that.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I suspect that the Cocu news is significant. Either the takeover has gone through and will be announced shortly or it's collapsed and Mel is taking control of the situation.

I'd say if we announce Bowyer or Wassall as caretaker, the takeover is off.

If we announce a new permanent manager it's happened.

16 minutes ago, Topram said:

More on Derby: new owners set to complete takeover of the football club next week, negotiations ongoing with the US party linked to Dell who own the mortgage on the Pride Park stadium.

MM's company that bought the stadium borrowed the money from Dell.   Guessing MM didn't talk to Dell before the announcement for confidentiality reasons. So they all now have to agree how it's going to work going forward if the financing stays in place.  Can't see this could upset the deal because MM and the Sheikh knew the terms of the Dell debt before they signed so they knew what the options would be. And hopefully MM would not have announced if the deal was conditional on Dell's approval. But if the Sheikh wants to change the Dell terms, Dell is considering that from a standing start and will take their time 

It would have been more encouraging though to hear that for the Sheikh the loan is peanuts and so he's just going to pay it off from petty cash  ?

49 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

MM's company that bought the stadium borrowed the money from Dell.   Guessing MM didn't talk to Dell before the announcement for confidentiality reasons. So they all now have to agree how it's going to work going forward if the financing stays in place.  Can't see this could upset the deal because MM and the Sheikh knew the terms of the Dell debt before they signed so they knew what the options would be. And hopefully MM would not have announced if the deal was conditional on Dell's approval. But if the Sheikh wants to change the Dell terms, Dell is considering that from a standing start and will take their time 

It would have been more encouraging though to hear that for the Sheikh the loan is peanuts and so he's just going to pay it off from petty cash  ?

I'll guarantee that MSD were informed. It's part of the charge (displayed at Companies House) against the stadium that MSD have to be kept informed have a power of veto as Mel used all his footballing related holdings as collateral. If Mel had entered negotiations without MSD's permission he would be in default. The penalty for default is the club, stadium, academy and 50% of the catering business instantly transferring to MSD ownership. 

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I'll guarantee that MSD were informed. It's part of the charge (displayed at Companies House) against the stadium that MSD have to be kept informed have a power of veto as Mel used all his footballing related holdings as collateral. If Mel had entered negotiations without MSD's permission he would be in default. The penalty for default is the club, stadium, academy and 50% of the catering business instantly transferring to MSD ownership. 

You're absolutely right about the collateral.  It's extensive and a sign of the lengths MM has gone to, to keep things on the FFP rails. But if MSD were informed before announcement, MM would not now be in a smoke filled room with them, eating pizza and trying to cut a deal. Instead, MM and the Sheikh would already have agreed with MSD whether or not the financing would stay in place.   If on the other hand MSD was NOT informed, it would be because MM and the Sheikh can avoid the dramatic consequences you describe simply by repaying the debt  

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I read somewhere that Mike Ashley made a similar observation when the Newcastle sale to some Sheikh (the same one, who knows??) fell through, something along the lines of 'if the the guy is as wealthy as he claims why is he haggling over £10m to secure the deal....' 

49 minutes ago, europia said:

I read somewhere that Mike Ashley made a similar observation when the Newcastle sale to some Sheikh (the same one, who knows??) fell through, something along the lines of 'if the the guy is as wealthy as he claims why is he haggling over £10m to secure the deal....' 

On the other hand, I took that to mean Mike Ashley put the price up 10 million (or so) at the 11th hour and that Sheikh Khaled should have put up with it because he is rich enough anyway.

It's a little rich coming from a man who has been criticised so often for not giving his staff what they are entitled to, even though he is so rich he could afford to give all his staff a 20% pay rise and he wouldnt even notice.

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

You're absolutely right about the collateral.  It's extensive and a sign of the lengths MM has gone to, to keep things on the FFP rails. But if MSD were informed before announcement, MM would not now be in a smoke filled room with them, eating pizza and trying to cut a deal. Instead, MM and the Sheikh would already have agreed with MSD whether or not the financing would stay in place.   If on the other hand MSD was NOT informed, it would be because MM and the Sheikh can avoid the dramatic consequences you describe simply by repaying the debt  

The wording on the charge document is very stark. MSD would have been informed before talks even began or they would now own the club. That said, I saw an article claiming they were about to conclude the takeover with no mention of the Abu Dhabi group. I assumed it was just badly written, but maybe...

14 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Often the richest are very careful with their money even if something is like 50p to them. Doesnt mean money isnt there

15 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

This blew me away. Our ground has been mortgaged to a third party without us knowing. Pretty grim that. 

Get Mel out the club. Gone from low manageable debt, bottom half wage bill and owning our own ground to this absolute show. How he’s made half a billion based on this I’ll never know. 

I knew about it, its been public knowledge for some time.

The fact that you think a businessman having debt secured against an asset is bad, shows why MM has made half a billion and you haven't possibly?

Regarding your comment about low manageable debt, you realise the ground was mortgaged before MM took over? 

46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I knew about it, its been public knowledge for some time.

The fact that you think a businessman having debt secured against an asset is bad, shows why MM has made half a billion and you haven't possibly?

Regarding your comment about low manageable debt, you realise the ground was mortgaged before MM took over? 

There’s a difference between a loan being secured with an asset and the wording of the tweet which suggests it’s been remortgaged to release cash. 

When he took over the mortgage was a small manageable one according to Glick and co. 

I understand how business works - my first class degree in accounting and finance gave me some insight to the different methods of financing a business. I also understand that a football club is not the same as a normal business...

Me not being a half billionaire has nothing to do with my ability to analyse what is going on. I made a conscious decision to enter the public sector after my studies for a more fulfilling role than money ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

There’s a difference between a loan being secured with an asset and the wording of the tweet which suggests it’s been remortgaged to release cash. 

When he took over the mortgage was a small manageable one according to Glick and co. 

I understand how business works - my first class degree in accounting and finance gave me some insight to the different methods of financing a business. I also understand that a football club is not the same as a normal business...

Me not being a half billionaire has nothing to do with my ability to analyse what is going on. I made a conscious decision to enter the public sector after my studies for a more fulfilling role than money ??‍♂️

When he took over the mortgage was £15m, and we had other debt on top of that too.

If what has been reported is correct, the remortgage raised £15m too, so how come that is now no longer manageable?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

When he took over the mortgage was £15m, and we had other debt on top of that too.

If what has been reported is correct, the remortgage raised £15m too, so how come that is now no longer manageable?

I think what concerns me more this time is that there is money owed on a stadium that legally doesn’t belong to us anymore. Before it was our asset as a club to lever against. Now we’ve got a third party who owns our stadium but owes money on it. Very messy. 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think what concerns me more this time is that there is money owed on a stadium that legally doesn’t belong to us anymore. Before it was our asset as a club to lever against. Now we’ve got a third party who owns our stadium but owes money on it. Very messy. 

Yes can understand them concerns.

Will be interesting to see what aoet of loan has been taken out secured against the training ground.

Would have been nice if Mel could have left us in a debt free position.

Maybe the takeover will involve clearing all debt.

16 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You weren't involved in the financing of the A52/Wyvern restructuring were you ? ?

38 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

surely ... the sheikh will have bought the stadium      or will have a right to buy it     or perhaps his back up plan is Markeaton Park

Archived