Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Van Rammeister said:

I have,  and I do think the piece on Sportscene that was referenced by @Rambalinwas actually more informative, particularly with regards the historical fracture between the grandfathers, which gave a greater degree of context to the status of our guy.

I thought that the Athletic article was written to specifically address the barrage of tweets they had received about the human rights issues and Ryan did say that he had spoken about this on the Sportscene broadcast.

Not everyone (including me) had listened to the Sportscene broadcast so I found it helpful and of interest.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought that the Athletic article was written to specifically address the barrage of tweets they had received about the human rights issues and Ryan did say that he had spoken about this on the Sportscene broadcast.

Not everyone (including me) had listened to the Sportscene broadcast so I found it helpful and of interest.

People just love attacking The Athletic for some reason.

I think it's probably the best thing to happen to sports journalism in this country for years. It's far more than just individual club stuff.

16 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

but if he didn't sign a settlement agreement he can now say he needs a lot more      

Well,  If our HR team/lawyers didn’t put such an agreement in place so he couldn’t come back at a later date, bottoms need kicking and the club have no grounds for complaint.

Part of me wonders whether a lot of this is a master PR exercise in action.

Mel, remembering the days when clubs knew we had money and bent us over on transfer fees, sees the news coming out about how rich we’re about to come. He warns the Sheikh that the same will happen and so the PR wheels spin to mitigate that effect.

I could just be being very optimistic though.

4 minutes ago, Rubix001 said:

Part of me wonders whether a lot of this is a master PR exercise in action.

Mel, remembering the days when clubs knew we had money and bent us over on transfer fees, sees the news coming out about how rich we’re about to come. He warns the Sheikh that the same will happen and so the PR wheels spin to mitigate that effect.

I could just be being very optimistic though.

bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

People just love attacking The Athletic for some reason.

I think it's probably the best thing to happen to sports journalism in this country for years. It's far more than just individual club stuff.

I can't decide whether it's excellent or whether it's everything that's wrong with football journalism: self-aggrandising holier-than-thou journalists patting each other on the back for how excellent they all think they  are whilst writing, in the round, exactly the same sort of stuff that's been available in newspapers and other websites for years...and making you pay for it.

Not my own views per say, but certainly an argument I've seen. 

Conway seems to be a bit like marmite, too. 

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I can't decide whether it's excellent or whether it's everything that's wrong with football journalism: self-aggrandising holier-than-thou journalists patting each other on the back for how excellent they all think they  are whilst writing, in the round, exactly the same sort of stuff that's been available in newspapers and other websites for years...and making you pay for it.

Not my own views per say, but certainly an argument I've seen. 

Conway seems to be a bit like marmite, too. 

Conway is a mixed bag IMO.

There is a bit of back-patting, but I think you do them a disservice when you say it’s no different to what you can find elsewhere. I feel like they have far more of a license to do deep dives, investigate pieces, collaborations, etc.

And anyway, you have to pay for access to most online newspapers anyway, unless you want a DET-style experience.

Archived