Nottingham Forest v Derby County Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Much, much better performance tonight. Their goal could have easily been disallowed for any one of shirt pulling, handball, offside or interferening with play and Jozwiak's just as easily been allowed to stand. Fine margins, which unfortunately often tend to go against us in these games. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add Ive and Bielik (and Rooney I guess) to the squad tonight and we have options off the bench that will change games when needed.

I like Holmes and think Kazim-Richards will do well in some matches, but they aren’t game changers.

The squad is getting stronger, the team are playing better together. Here we go. Roll on Tuesday.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Come on then, explain. How can their player, stood right in front of Marshall, not be offside, yet Waghorn, also in a similar offside position, be seen to be offside? Personally I think both were offside, but it’s got to be one way or another!

There's clearly nobody in an offside position in the line of sight for the Forest goal. Clearly.

It is less clear with our disallowed goal. Waghorn jumps. That's influenced it I'm sure.

1 minute ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Hopefully that performance can put to bed the idea that the players aren't playing for Cocu. If ever there was a game for them to demonstrate their alleged disregard for him this was it. But they were - to a man - excellent.

For me Shinnie needs to be in that midfield every week. He breaks up the opposition play really well, and we have nobody else who does that.

We don't need Rooney, in my opinion.

I was just thinking how does England’s record goal scorer fit in? ??

Our midfield is better with Knight and Shinnie, Rooney and Bird are inclined to slow the game down or play the negative pass. Shinnie and Knight were everywhere, always positive and winning the ball higher up the park. They were both excellent tonight, Shinnie was my MOTM. 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There's clearly nobody in an offside position in the line of sight for the Forest goal. Clearly.

It is less clear with our disallowed goal. Waghorn jumps. That's influenced it I'm sure.

He wasn’t in the line sight he was as offside as the Forest player who was in an offside position.

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Played well first half . Shame Shinnie can't shoot.

I can't believe fitness is good enough. We creak through the first 20 minutes of every second half. Our ball retention when doing the aforementioned creaking is woeful and that needs to get better.

Better than usual though.  Denied a win against a good awful side by god awful officiating. 

For a squad of 40 players, they have very little.  Knockaert aside, there a struggling team that costs 30 million a year in wages so it's not all bad.

So true. We need to sort that.

If we went back to the 'old' interpretation of offside - which I think we should - then both goals would have been disallowed.  All of this 'interfering with play', different phases and the rest of it, brings an unhelpful element of subjectivity into the equation. When I were a lad, it didn't matter where you were standing - if you were offside, you were offside.

I'd like a return to that, because it removes this type of issue.

Marshall - 7.5

Byrne - 7.5

Buchanan - 9 (MOM)

Wisdom - 7

Clarke - 7

Davies - 9

Knight - 7.5

Shinnie - 8.5

Lawrence - 7.5

Joswiak - 8.5

Waghorn - 8.5

Much better all round performance and you can see our ceiling is so much higher than Forest's. With Bielik, Ibe, Rooney and Duncan still to figure we must keep faith in Cocu. Great to read positive comments on here too.

Great performance tonight against a rejuvenated Forest. Excellent first half, second half Knockaert was quality but we dealt with the crosses for the most part. Thought defence looked solid, especially Davies. Wisdom got lost a couple times, maybe for the goal and just before but thought we did well. Shinnie excellent. Waghorn, Lawrence Joswiak threat. Thought goal was offside at first but clearly not afterwards. Keeper had clear view ! Robbed. We had lots of fight and some quality tonight. We won't be anywhere near relegation if we play like this. Well done to the team and to the staff because we may have just turned a corner. 

Archived