Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I’m not Cocu’s biggest fan, as I’m sure you’re all aware, but even I think it would be insanity to sack him at this point in time. We haven’t given him any time to settle in the new summer signings so we can properly see what he can get out of a new look team. Sure, if we’re in a similar position by the time the next international break comes around, then yeah, I think we’d need to consider a change. But we’ve got to at least give him a chance to prove he can get better results over the next block of fixtures, with better and fitter players at his disposal. 

If we assume for a second that it’s true (it seems a weird story to make up but I’m not convinced), then Rooney is probably the obvious choice of replacement given our financial situation. God knows how it would end though. Rookie managers are always a risk. Sometimes they work out amazing, like Zidane at Real, or sometimes they work out disastrously. There’s not often much In between. The links to Gregory and Phelan, whilst bizzare, might actually prove to be a very good thing - that experience around a new manager could have a real positive impact, and was maybe something Lampard lacked on his coaching team.

If this was to happen I dont think it would be based on results?

The club put a story out the other week about the long term plan under Cocu, then we beat Norwich. Everyone at the club knows the injury situation and the shortage of players Cocu had to choose from so that doesnt ring true.

A fall out of tranfers would make the most sense or a potential new invester but I just cant see it. 

Finally bring in his own players just to sack him?

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

If this was to happen I dont think it would be based on results?

The club put a story out the other week about the long term plan under Cocu, then we beat Norwich. Everyone at the club knows the injury situation and the shortage of players Cocu had to choose from so that doesnt ring true.

A fall out of tranfers would make the most sense or a potential new invester but I just cant see it. 

Finally bring in his own players just to sack him?

I have no idea what could happen next whether this true or not. Woziak was apparently saying that Rooney was playing a big part. Massive change in tactics for last game at whose behest.

I fear that it's too bizarre to be made up.

If it really is true, for all the reasons we've discussed and even the "Cocu doubters" acknowledge, the timing of this - at the very least - is nuts.

As everyone knows, I firmly believe Cocu is building for long term sustainable success.

I really hoped that fans and owner alike would see that and be patient.

I hope to god this does not happen and that there's nothing in it. But I hate those scenarios where the manager is within one or two bad results of getting the sack.

I also don't have any confidence that - at the current time, maybe in the future - Rooney will make a good Derby County manager.

John Gregory was a very good player for us but a shocking manager.

I won't sleep tonight.

Surely if its based on one games outcome, why not just get rid after Norwich and have the 2 week international break to get  new management team together and their ideas across.

I dont get all this Rooney talk about Norwich tactics, he is part of the coaching team, thats his job isnt it to be involved anyway?

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

If it really is true, for all the reasons we've discussed and even the "Cocu doubters" acknowledge, the timing of this - at the very least - is nuts.

I'm a Cocu doubter, but this would be absolutely suicidal from Derby. Luckily it's only the sun reporting it so it's likely baalocks.

I'm pro cocu and pro mel , but if this is true ill start to lose a bit of faith in mel going forward . What's the point in giving a manager 4 years to implement a plan and give up after a year of it ? Especially after letting him bring in players this summer.

Archived