Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Welbeck on a free would do me.

Wonder if his wages would be too high but also whether he is the answer. His goalscoring record hasn't been great in the last few years. He also hasn't been playing a lot unless I'm mistaken? I would rather we went for a proven recent goalscorer, even at league 1 level.

Not seen any evidence of the player wanting to join us, unless he is playing his cards very close to his chest trying to negotiate a competitive financial package. Would much prefer some one coming in with desire ,enthusiasm to play for us ,rather than some one although capable just here because it financially suits them.

1 minute ago, ram1964 said:

Not seen any evidence of the player wanting to join us, unless he is playing his cards very close to his chest trying to negotiate a competitive financial package. Would much prefer some one coming in with desire ,enthusiasm to play for us ,rather than some one although capable just here because it financially suits them.

True, although not much evidence he doesn't either? apart from paper talk which may not be true.

1 minute ago, ram1964 said:

They all play for the money. 

Some might be motivated by ambition - playing in the Premier league, Champions league, for country etc and the odd few might be playing for a team they supported /admired. 

But most want a nice house and a good standard of living wherever they end up. 

Austin is no different. 

I'm so delighted to be signing for <insert name here>

It has always been a dream... 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Seeing comments in recent days that Austin may not be as secure as it appeared to be.

Will our refusal to go to 1.8m Euros for Dursun hurt us by the end of this transfer window?

How do you know it was us refusing to pay the figure you've quoted, rather than the 'speculation' that his club couldn't get a suitable replacement in before the deadline?

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

How often does that happen before a player signs? 

5 hours ago, roboto said:

If Waghorn is nearly back to fitness and Duncan is as good as we expect him to be then I don't think we need to get someon in unless the deal is right. We aren't as desperate as some people make out for a striker.

Rooney showed he can do some good in the 9 role out of necessity.

Jack obviously had a knock that he hasn't fully recovered from, but I expect him to be fit after the break.

Waghorn is versatile and can use his strength to be a hold up striker if needed. He should be ready to play soon after the international break.

JHI hasn't gone out on loan yet and has been involved in the squads recently.

Duncan came in with too much fanfare for a straight forward U23 signing. I believe he can possibly step up and be our number 1 striker before January.

Whittaker can play down the middle and showed his ability to frighten defences against Norwich.

If these options aren't enough or aren't working by the next window I believe we'll make a return for Dursun. If we are doing better then we might offer him a pre-contract agreement ready for next season, if we need him sooner then we can offer Darmstadt less than what we offered in the summer and they might need to accept to get some value out of the transfer. This also depends how their season is going and if they have a replacement ready.

So, all in all, we aren't desperate for Austin if he chooses to stick it out at WBA. And we shouldn't sign someone on high wages (Welbeck for example) just because they are unattached.

Agree wholeheartedly, but I’d feel a lot happier saying that with say 6 points more from the next 9 if you know what I mean. 

I don't agree. We can tell from last season that we need to improve in the centre forward position. Waghorn/Rooney/Marriott/Martin couldn't do what Cocu wants someone in that position to do. So we get someone in who can or we play two up front or we will be no threat again for most of the season.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But we haven’t got the striker we need to fit the system Cocu wants to play..

I don’t disagree but I was really referring to the chance that we might not find the right one this window and that we had (recoveries from injuries allowing ) the means to keep things rolling. 

the other thing is we have added a lot of potential dynamism with Ibe and Joz so the system could morph to the point that Marriott is a closer fit than he is at the moment .. it’s all a bit speculative until we see Lawrence, Waghorn, Ibe, Bielik join the perceived system ... which I don’t think is a rigid as some do. There is a bit of pragmatism in Cocu I am certain. No new striker will simply mean he does System rev1 

17 minutes ago, jono said:

I don’t disagree but I was really referring to the chance that we might not find the right one this window and that we had (recoveries from injuries allowing ) the means to keep things rolling. 

the other thing is we have added a lot of potential dynamism with Ibe and Joz so the system could morph to the point that Marriott is a closer fit than he is at the moment .. it’s all a bit speculative until we see Lawrence, Waghorn, Ibe, Bielik join the perceived system ... which I don’t think is a rigid as some do. There is a bit of pragmatism in Cocu I am certain. No new striker will simply mean he does System rev1 

That's an interesting suggestion & think you may have a point. If we had a highly mobile 3 behind a nominal 'centre forward', there's an argument that that CF position need not be a conventional CF - a false 9 if you like. In the Athletic article written last week about Cocu's philosophy, he makes reference to deliberately not wanting a set structure in the final 3rd - players go where there is space & constantly change position to drag opposing defences around. It could therefore be assumed that a stereotypical CF might not actually suit his ultimate vision.

In that ideal (and it would take some time to work properly), you could even have someone like Lawrence in that false 9 role. I've posted on the Marriott thread that I don't think Jack is suited to the way we play but if our domination of the ball was higher up the pitch & there was genuine menace & movement in all forward positions, he could work out. 

6 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Hope Austin comes as he has a very good record at this level. Hopefully he will be signing.

More chance of plaiting fog now their main man has broken his arm. But depair ye not in Cocu I trust he will find alternative firepower

I’ve just been told by a mate who supports the Baggies that it was in their local rag today that Austin has rejected a move and is intent to fight for his place in the West Midlands. 

I would’ve been sure that it would’ve been on here, so has anyone else seen anything or heard anything? 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I’ve just been told by a mate who supports the Baggies that it was in their local rag today that Austin has rejected a move and is intent to fight for his place in the West Midlands. 

I would’ve been sure that it would’ve been on here, so has anyone else seen anything or heard anything? 

Nothing apart from what I posted yesterday regarding some twitter posts. They said similar to what you have posted, Austin doesn’t want a move away from WBA anymore and wants to “fight for his place”.

maybe the injury to Robson-Kanu swayed his decision?

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/10/06/west-brom-set-to-wait-to-secure-karlan-grant/

It doesn’t say he’s outright rejected us, but he doesn’t sound keen on a move and would need ‘more convincing’. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/10/06/west-brom-set-to-wait-to-secure-karlan-grant/

It doesn’t say he’s outright rejected us, but he doesn’t sound keen on a move and would need ‘more convincing’. 

We will probably have to pay him 40k a week + a night with Dursuns wife for every goal he scores once he signs in January. 

Archived