Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

58 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Wow - Is this a case of saying something because it fits your narrative because I would love you to find one post where I have written this in the past? But I can save you the bother mate - because you won't find it.

That whole post is you saying stuff because it fits your narrative that it actually makes me chuckle.

And to answer your question - no I wouldn't advocate spending £9 million on a player. I would advocate spending 1.8 Million on a player. In the Championship, 1 million pound players are not generally good enough to get you out of this league but you'll end of spending your season in mid season. So I don't back away from my opinion that if we genuinely believe this was the player we felt fitted our system, would provide the goals/assists/general play for us to be successful and if we had the money (a big if) I would have spent 1.8 Million.

We will never know if Darmstadt would have sold at 1.8 million so feel free to keep saying that line. They said we never met their asking price. Had we met it, they might have sold. Every player has a price regardless of whether you have a replacement lined up or not.

You should note this was probably an initial engagement by 86P. Never go calling him mate at this juncture. Get your 'Pal' in as early as possible is my advice. He will come back with Pal. Mark my words.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

There is a lot of discussion in this thread (and in the Dursun one too) about the club’s apparent refusal to pay out an extra £800,000 to secure his services immediately, with some posters thinking we should have gone ahead and others thinking the club made the right move. 

I have to say that I am firmly in the second camp with this one. Paying 80% above what we believe is a fair valuation for a player seems mad to me. We are currently in an unprecedented time, no idea when fans are coming back into stadia (we are one of the top 20 supported teams in the country - its a lot of money we are losing), and no way of knowing if the country is going to stop football being played again. The financial future is really uncertain and that means that 800k stops being a small sum to throw about and becomes a major part of the budget, which I think is half the incoming bogle and Lowe cash (11m+ raised, 4.5-5m spent). 

Also, by spending 80% more to ‘just get the deal done’ we take a step back towards the Butterfield and Johnson days. As we all remember that policy led to us being quoted over twice as much for Oli Watkins as Brentford were as Exeter (rightly) believed we would just pay it. Repairing that damage has clearly taken a long time and I feel that it is still somewhat attached to us. 

Furthermore, we will need to add this guy to the books and if he flops he will leave far less of an ffp shaped dent in our losses coming in for £1m than he would for nearly twice that. If he is released after a year of a three year contract with a £1m transfer fee, we take a £666,666 hit, if he is signed to the same deal but cost £1.8m, that hit is £1.2m (if we are using straight line amortisation), which is practically double.

All this is for a player who will be free next summer, when, if he flops after a year, there will be no hit to the books, no fee will have been paid. The future is so uncertain at this level that an £800,000 fee could have a massive knock on effect. So the club has decided to get a loan player in for a year and Austin looks to be the first choice. Fingers crossed he is The Austin who banged them in for fun at this level a few years ago. 

Can you imagine anger from the usual suspects if he turned out to be a dud?

Why aren’t we paying the extra cash would turn to............why the hell did we pay the extra cash for this guy? All without the slightest trace of irony!

7 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Reports Rooney spoken to Austin in the hope of enticing him to join us. If the player hasn't got the enthusiasm, desire off his own bat, not sure we should be interested in him.

Imho  Austin is content to see his contract out at West Brom get his 70k a week then walk away ... it's possible he's thinking WHY SHOULD I GO AND PLAY IN CHAMPIONSHIP  when I can get my wages for doing nothing .. only time will tell 

2 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

Imho  Austin is content to see his contract out at West Brom get his 70k a week then walk away ... it's possible he's thinking WHY SHOULD I GO AND PLAY IN CHAMPIONSHIP  when I can get my wages for doing nothing .. only time will tell 

And that's fine, as long as we're not paying him to do nothing

If we're having to 'beg' Charlie Austin to join us, let's move on... don't want a player with that attitude anywhere near the club.

I'm sure there's strikers lower down the league pyramid that we could take a chance on that would love the opportunity to play Championship football and give their all trying to prove themselves.

16 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

If we're having to 'beg' Charlie Austin to join us, let's move on... don't want a player with that attitude anywhere near the club.

I'm sure there's strikers lower down the league pyramid that we could take a chance on that would love the opportunity to play Championship football and give their all trying to prove themselves.

Cavani apparently spoke to Ander Herrera before agreeing his move to Man Utd. Not sure when begging is muddled up with getting an informed opinion on the club.

If a 33 year old player is sounding out opinions about joining a huge club like Man Utd am not sure what you find so offensive about another player potentially doing the same at a far far smaller club like ours. 

Rooney: Hi it’s Wazza. Look you need to get down to Derby pronto. It’s amazing. They pay you loads of dosh, pick you no matter how unfit you are and give you a load of kids to do your running for you. You might even make it to captain like me.
Ease yourself into retirement. They’ve promised me a top job soon if I get a suit and shave my neck.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Cavani apparently spoke to Ander Herrera before agreeing his move to Man Utd. Not sure when begging is muddled up with getting an informed opinion on the club.

If a 33 year old player is sounding out opinions about joining a huge club like Man Utd am not sure what you find so offensive about another player potentially doing the same at a far far smaller club like ours. 

I guess I'm just disillusioned at the minute with football in general. The amounts of money involved are obscene and I genuinely don't think most footballers appreciate what they've got. Far too many of them are willing to sit around doing nothing and get paid millions of pounds a year to do it. Derby are my 'first love' football wise and always will be... but I have as much fun going to watch Mickleover or Belper nowadays. 

I guess I'm just disillusioned at the minute with football in general. The amounts of money involved are obscene and I genuinely don't think most footballers appreciate what they've got. Far too many of them are willing to sit around doing nothing and get paid millions of pounds a year to do it. Derby are my 'first love' football wise and always will be... but I have as much fun going to watch Mickleover or Belper nowadays. 

-----------------------------------

I'm the same. Usually go to watch Belper Town if the Rams are away, but the 400 tickets were all sold last Saturday. However, went to see a very good game at Mickleover vs Warrington. The attendance was limited to 600  spectaors but it was a great atmosphere, good banter amongst the fans, and a couple of great goals from Mickleover, as well as a player from both teams sent off. Cracking afternoon!!!

46 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Rooney: Hi it’s Wazza. Look you need to get down to Derby pronto. It’s amazing. They pay you loads of dosh, pick you no matter how unfit you are and give you a load of kids to do your running for you. You might even make it to captain like me.
Ease yourself into retirement. They’ve promised me a top job soon if I get a suit and shave my neck.

Hope this bit is written into his contract 

Archived