Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

I think the players we are after are no better than what we currently have.

As a Striker we have Waghorn yes he misses easy chances sometimes but he works his socks off.I believe he could play that role I want to see him bully defenders more but I think with the service coming from the wings he will get goals.

Once Duncan is fit I like the look of him and Marriott as back up remember the days when we had Mac as manager and we were losing and he went 4-2 -4 bring it on.

Imagine 

Jozwiak Waghorn Duncan Ibe

Happy Days??

its not just about finding that allusive striker that get 25+ goals, its about bringing in (on our budget) players that are different than what we have, suit the football that Cocu wants to play and giving us numbers, really we only have Waghorn and Marriott as strikers (I don't think it is Rooney's most effective position anymore).

My worry is that we will not get anyone in until the January window  

46 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

its not just about finding that allusive striker that get 25+ goals, its about bringing in (on our budget) players that are different than what we have, suit the football that Cocu wants to play and giving us numbers, really we only have Waghorn and Marriott as strikers (I don't think it is Rooney's most effective position anymore).

My worry is that we will not get anyone in until the January window  

A loan to Xmas should be easy, just get the best that is available. Not earth shattering, either way.

11 hours ago, Edtheram said:

We need a hold up striker 

Yes, we do, unfortunately I don't think there is many of them knocking about that are available. I don't think there is many of them knocking about full stop, unless we look in the lower leagues where they are ten a penny. Man City tend to do ok without having a big man upfront that can hold the ball up. 

A smart man once said 'adapt or die' perhaps Cocu should take heed. 

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yes, we do, unfortunately I don't think there is many of them knocking about that are available. I don't think there is many of them knocking about full stop, unless we look in the lower leagues where they are ten a penny. Man City tend to do ok without having a big man upfront that can hold the ball up. 

Ah yes, because Man City have the quality in possession, the technical ability, the vision, the off-ball movement and athleticism as a Championship side. What a ridiculous comparison. Must be really hard to play with Sergio Aguero up front.

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Liverpool all have a strong striker up front in Benzema, Lewandowski and Firmino they are more the excpetion to the rule and currently they could do with a focal point as they struggle badly against teams who sit deep and defend well and Aguero isn't what he was. 

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ah yes, because Man City have the quality in possession, the technical ability, the vision, the off-ball movement and athleticism as a Championship side. What a ridiculous comparison. Must be really hard to play with Sergio Aguero up front.

I'm just saying that not every side, Championship standard or not, need a big man upfront. The other point is that not one person can name a viable option so we're all sat around waiting for a mythical player to come in and save the day. 

We need to work out a way of playing without having someone upfront who can hold the ball up. I mean, most good footballers should be able to do that anyway, especially as most of the passes we play into the striker tends to be to feet rather than their forehead. 

After all this talk about Austin we want /we don't want him.

Are we really sure

a. He will come to us (i.e drop down a division ?

b. Can we offer him the type of financial package (wages/contract length) he's looking for ?

c. Does want to play for Derby in our current position/situation ?

Hopefully Cocu and the recruitment team not put ing all their eggs in this one basket.

3 hours ago, Richard246 said:

I think the players we are after are no better than what we currently have.

As a Striker we have Waghorn yes he misses easy chances sometimes but he works his socks off.I believe he could play that role I want to see him bully defenders more but I think with the service coming from the wings he will get goals.

Once Duncan is fit I like the look of him and Marriott as back up remember the days when we had Mac as manager and we were losing and he went 4-2 -4 bring it on.

Imagine 

Jozwiak Waghorn Duncan Ibe

Happy Days??

What looks good on paper very often doesn't translate into reality.

Joswiak - I just hope our negative football doesn't change him as I think he looks really good.

Waghorn - Misses more easy chances than he scores. (But I like him)

Duncan - Never really played any senior games.

Ibe - Played about 15 games in 3 years.

So it's not really that attractive but I do get what you mean.

11 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Seeing comments in recent days that Austin may not be as secure as it appeared to be.

Will our refusal to go to 1.8m Euros for Dursun hurt us by the end of this transfer window?

We’d have been daft to pay that much for him given he was out of contract in the summer 

If Waghorn is nearly back to fitness and Duncan is as good as we expect him to be then I don't think we need to get someon in unless the deal is right. We aren't as desperate as some people make out for a striker.

Rooney showed he can do some good in the 9 role out of necessity.

Jack obviously had a knock that he hasn't fully recovered from, but I expect him to be fit after the break.

Waghorn is versatile and can use his strength to be a hold up striker if needed. He should be ready to play soon after the international break.

JHI hasn't gone out on loan yet and has been involved in the squads recently.

Duncan came in with too much fanfare for a straight forward U23 signing. I believe he can possibly step up and be our number 1 striker before January.

Whittaker can play down the middle and showed his ability to frighten defences against Norwich.

If these options aren't enough or aren't working by the next window I believe we'll make a return for Dursun. If we are doing better then we might offer him a pre-contract agreement ready for next season, if we need him sooner then we can offer Darmstadt less than what we offered in the summer and they might need to accept to get some value out of the transfer. This also depends how their season is going and if they have a replacement ready.

So, all in all, we aren't desperate for Austin if he chooses to stick it out at WBA. And we shouldn't sign someone on high wages (Welbeck for example) just because they are unattached.

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

As this has become a thread about lots of other strikers beyond Austin, I'll throw Slimani into the equation.

It's gone midnight meaning the Portuguese window has just shut, and it seems he's not returned to Sporting (unless it's yet to be announced, but that seems unlikely).

Derby tried to sign him in 2014.

Cocu did sign him for Fenerbahce.

He's not in the Leicester 25.

He's local to us.

He can't go to any other Prem team or overseas team, so if he wants games the Championship is the highest level he'll get.

Even if it's only till January, get him in.

Like this one...

What about: 

Daniel Sturridge.

links to the club and available.. wages maybe an issue..

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Seeing comments in recent days that Austin may not be as secure as it appeared to be.

Will our refusal to go to 1.8m Euros for Dursun hurt us by the end of this transfer window?

Missed out on this signing  for the time being but sure we could conclude this business and have him in for next transfer window.

Archived