Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

This a good shout, would be worth a try. Allows us to get Holmes/Sibley in the team as well. 

Well I think it might happen if Waghorn or Marriott has a setback, or if we don’t see this elusive striker come in.

What do we have to lose?

Everyone says Lawrence prefers playing in central areas and a front three of Ibe, Lawrence and Jozwiak would be full of pace and movement and would put defences on the back foot.

Obviously it would lack aerial threat, but we would be playing the ball to feet or into space anyway.

And with Holmes in midfield and Byrne at full back, we could possibly be able to counter at pace and get in behind.

19 hours ago, Macintosh said:

Six weeks ago I thought there was a huge crop we were looking at, a whole world of players. Yet when it boils down to choice, it really is a pretty small pond to fish from. You can't even say the best one were quickly gobbled up.

Another average Premier League player that is on a ridiculously high wage of £60,000 each week, surplus, but we tried to get last year would be Everton's Cenk Tosun. Islam Slimani of Leicester who fits the MO is even more expensive at £80,000 a week. If I was Mel Morris I would lock away my cheque book and make do with what we have for now. Who knows, we already may have that diamond in Bobby Duncan. He may not be the next Robbie Fowler, but he could be. Fowler managed okay with only one left boot to shoot with.

Knowing we have Martyn Waghorn to come back seems pretty good right now. I bet a lot of clubs and their supporters would like to have him, his versatility, goals and all-round effort. If he was available for transfer at another club we'd be wanting him here.

Two reasons Slimani is a viable target ...he’s lowered his wage to 20k a week and Cocu knows him ...he has cut his wage demands in half apparently 

9 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

You are not serious , are you? I can remember only one decent header from him, the winner at Reading, and he admits it was a fluke.

Truth be told many of the best moments in football probably are!

Rather like Charlie George's comment once:-

"Well, the ball was there and I just hit it!"

I'm intrigued by this Slimani option. For reasons already alluded to by others, his choice is warm the bench or head to the Championship, strut his stuff and hope he gets a decent move end of season. Unlike some, he's clearly heavily favouring the latter option and at half his current wage, he's surely worth a look.

The fact that Cocu knows him well just makes this seem even more feasible assuming they get on and Cocu rates him. If so, surely Phil will be beavering away in the background to get this sorted. Kinda hoping this is one of those Cocu deals that just gets announced the day it happens so Preston, Bristol, the Gumps et al aren't alerted to our interest. I think I'd pretty much favour him over any of the others we're currently linked to, the ones we know about at least.

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm intrigued by this Slimani option. For reasons already alluded to by others, his choice is warm the bench or head to the Championship, strut his stuff and hope he gets a decent move end of season. Unlike some, he's clearly heavily favouring the latter option and at half his current wage, he's surely worth a look.

The fact that Cocu knows him well just makes this seem even more feasible assuming they get on and Cocu rates him. If so, surely Phil will be beavering away in the background to get this sorted. Kinda hoping this is one of those Cocu deals that just gets announced the day it happens so Preston, Bristol, the Gumps et al aren't alerted to our interest. I think I'd pretty much favour him over any of the others we're currently linked to, the ones we know about at least.

Not so sure he'd be a good omen...

A month or so after Ranieri signed him he got sacked...

A month or so after Cocu signed him at Fenerbache....he got sacked...

Things come in threes....

7 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

This is only a suggestion from fans on here but as you quite rightly point out does make perfect sense and he is by far a striker who is seemingly too good for our level but...Mitrovic played in the championship and if we could sign him I think he'd have a similar effect, he's a very good goal scorer and mobile and although it hasn't worked out at Fester he was much sought after before he joined them....I know it won't happen but if we got Slimani and Gray ( who has not been given a squad number for europa league ) on loan from fester i think it would make us a very different proposition going forward....top 6 

On 07/10/2020 at 11:29, Ramarena said:

We’d have been daft to pay that much for him given he was out of contract in the summer 

Not really. Surely 800k extra for the striker the club have most likely identified as their number one prospect isn't that much in reality.

Are you saying therefore lets write this season off now and plan for next season?

Plus, there is zero guarantee that given EU rules and being outside the EU we'd even be allowed to sign him in the summer.

I'm just confused that if we think this is the striker we need and we've done our homework, that we then turn around and say "Despite the fact he is our number one target, the man we think would suit our system and score goals for us, we only think £ 1 million is the right number and not £1.8 Million" - I don't get that. If our budget is literally only £1 million then I can understand that but a refusal to increase the offer if we have the cash, no, I can't get my head around it.

On 06/10/2020 at 22:11, hintonsboots said:

Good point well made Ramslaara. 

13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not really. Surely 800k extra for the striker the club have most likely identified as their number one prospect isn't that much in reality.

Are you saying therefore lets write this season off now and plan for next season?

Plus, there is zero guarantee that given EU rules and being outside the EU we'd even be allowed to sign him in the summer.

I'm just confused that if we think this is the striker we need and we've done our homework, that we then turn around and say "Despite the fact he is our number one target, the man we think would suit our system and score goals for us, we only think £ 1 million is the right number and not £1.8 Million" - I don't get that. If our budget is literally only £1 million then I can understand that but a refusal to increase the offer if we have the cash, no, I can't get my head around it.

You have to way up his contract situation and the fact that cash is tight atm.i understand what your saying but you have to weigh up risk and reward especially when hes free in 6months.personally I'm glad we are not allowing ourselves to be held to ransom like we have in the past.chances are if we go after him again in jan the fee will be drastically lower or he signs pre agreement for free

4 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

You have to way up his contract situation and the fact that cash is tight atm.i understand what your saying but you have to weigh up risk and reward especially when hes free in 6months.personally I'm glad we are not allowing ourselves to be held to ransom like we have in the past.chances are if we go after him again in jan the fee will be drastically lower or he signs pre agreement for free

A pre-contract means the start of next season, so another 12 months. He's 29, so another year older and so on.

Plus, we're all looking at the fact that there is a strong chance we can't sign up after January because there is no freedom of EU movement. Just imagine how expensive UK players will be in January then.

Agree on the risk/reward and we obviously did cap that at £1 million (based on media information). Just find that decision a little strange - if his club wanted £3 Million then fine I get it, but for £800k, it's not a lot of money.

Archived