Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

8 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Off to North and South Uist in the Outer Hebrides next week, looks like the weather might just hold up until then. Got a week up in Northumberland in September too, another beautiful place that is often overlooked in favour of trips to Spain.

I've accepted holidays abroad simply won't be feasible until after Christmas, so why not take the chance to explore these beautiful British Isles while I get the chance?

Saw the programme about North Uist winning the postcode lottery. 

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. 

18 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Off to North and South Uist in the Outer Hebrides next week, looks like the weather might just hold up until then. Got a week up in Northumberland in September too, another beautiful place that is often overlooked in favour of trips to Spain.

I've accepted holidays abroad simply won't be feasible until after Christmas, so why not take the chance to explore these beautiful British Isles while I get the chance?

Looks absolutely stunning bud. Planning an extended Scottish road trip up that way with the lad when he finishes his Masters. There are parts of the UK so beautiful that when you arrive, they make you wonder why you ever wanted to be anywhere else.

58 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Looks absolutely stunning bud. Planning an extended Scottish road trip up that way with the lad when he finishes his Masters. There are parts of the UK so beautiful that when you arrive, they make you wonder why you ever wanted to be anywhere else.

If you can see them through the driving rain, mist and fog. 

You might be lucky and arrive on a rare dry and warm day, upon which the midges will eat you alive!

36 minutes ago, Rev said:

If you can see them through the driving rain, mist and fog. 

You might be lucky and arrive on a rare dry and warm day, upon which the midges will eat you alive!

Well aren't you a cheery little ray of sunshine ? 

Late Autumn onwards and the mozzies are no bother. Some places are so beautiful that the weather is irrelevant anyway. And with us London lads being hardy types, we don't run shy of a bit of rain. We'll be jumping in the freezing lochs with the locals in winter bud. Fastest hangover cure known to man and just the ticket after a night on the malt.

22 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well aren't you a cheery little ray of sunshine ? 

Late Autumn onwards and the mozzies are no bother. Some places are so beautiful that the weather is irrelevant anyway. And with us London lads being hardy types, we don't run shy of a bit of rain. We'll be jumping in the freezing lochs with the locals in winter bud. Fastest hangover cure known to man and just the ticket after a night on the malt.

Madman, absolute madman!

Bar steward Ryanair just cancelled my local flight to Ireland for work in 4 weeks time and I've had to pay 2.5x as much to book an Aer Lingus flight instead and pay the return train fare to Heathrow.

£90 has just turned into £300+?

The Ryanair refund process is also a complete piss-take as you have to manually enter ALL your flight details into the page (booking ref., flight number, time of flight, name of passenger, etc.) I guess if you make a typo it's back to square one and another 7 day+ wait. I wish pox on O'Learys house.

Edited by Grumpy Git

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Madman, absolute madman!

Honestly, it works and the water only feels icy for a few seconds. I know it's counter-intuitive but it's true.  You only really feel cold when you get out ?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

We are rolling over our French Airbnb booking for a second year.

The South African lady owner said that was fine but we pay the price difference. 

The Airbnb site then informs us that the same week in 2022 is 70%, or 700 quid dearer than 2021, which itself had been hiked a bit from the original 2020 booking.

Not fine. But not sure what our next move is. I'm not being price gouged though by some egregious profiteering Saffer....

46 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We are rolling over our French Airbnb booking for a second year.

The South African lady owner said that was fine but we pay the price difference. 

The Airbnb site then informs us that the same week in 2022 is 70%, or 700 quid dearer than 2021, which itself had been hiked a bit from the original 2020 booking.

Not fine. But not sure what our next move is. I'm not being price gouged though by some egregious profiteering Saffer....

Why not go?

36 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We based our decision on the isolation rules at the end of last week and an assumption that they are unlikely to be materially easier by August. 

Difficult to know really, they say 'by data' and then ignore it. So in the next review on June 28 (or before?!) who knows. Can you wait?

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Difficult to know really, they say 'by data' and then ignore it. So in the next review on June 28 (or before?!) who knows. Can you wait?

Not sure. There's Airbnb rules plus whatever you can agree directly with the owner over the top. Plus as it's all been organised by Mrs VdM I don't even know whether we've paid for everything or just a proportion. 

So I think it's a bit of scenario analysis to workout best and worst case. The big price hike has probably made it a more marginal decision. 

On 08/06/2021 at 20:21, Grumpy Git said:

Bar steward Ryanair just cancelled my local flight to Ireland for work in 4 weeks time and I've had to pay 2.5x as much to book an Aer Lingus flight instead and pay the return train fare to Heathrow.

£90 has just turned into £300+?

The Ryanair refund process is also a complete piss-take as you have to manually enter ALL your flight details into the page (booking ref., flight number, time of flight, name of passenger, etc.) I guess if you make a typo it's back to square one and another 7 day+ wait. I wish pox on O'Learys house.

Where were you flying from? I have a long standing booking for a flight and hotel in July . Stansted to Cork. Looking like that's not going to happen. As far as I understand it, I'd be ok getting back into the UK. But am supposed to quarantine on arrival in Ireland for five days. That's troublesome, as it's only a four day trip. 

I can get refund on the hotel booking. Don't care about flight refund. Hard to know when to re book for. Can't see the restrictions being lifted in August or September ☹️

8 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Where were you flying from? I have a long standing booking for a flight and hotel in July . Stansted to Cork. Looking like that's not going to happen. As far as I understand it, I'd be ok getting back into the UK. But am supposed to quarantine on arrival in Ireland for five days. That's troublesome, as it's only a four day trip. 

I can get refund on the hotel booking. Don't care about flight refund. Hard to know when to re book for. Can't see the restrictions being lifted in August or September ☹️

From Liverpool.

Refund supposed to take up to 7 days, we're on day 6 and no sign of it yet.

On 07/06/2021 at 23:26, PodgeyRam said:

Yep accepted this as my fate, too much hassle to sort out younger members of family who might not be jabbed etc. So it’s West coast of Scotland, taking in Skye and a few lochs, with a few tinnies to enjoy the scenery whatever the weather.

First stop Oban, take it from there.