Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

On 06/06/2021 at 19:41, 86 Hair Islands said:

Went to Longleat one Xmas with my lad, an ex and her family. It was literally like haemorrhaging cash and the Xmas lunch was garbage as were the food facilities in general. There were some fun activities but I'd sooner stop down Cornwall way and go to places like Hangloose for the adrenalin buzzes or head to the Lakes. Both way cheaper and loads more to do, plus there are actual pubs and proper restaurants for the evening hours.

Apart from pool complex usually lots of places to stay or camp in or v near Thetford Forest near the Elvedon centre parcs. Can do day or twilight bookings in the centre parc spa too if that floats your boat. Loads of cycle trails for free around the forest, a Go Ape, etc and all of lovely Norfolk and Suffolk near. Living near and going to Thetford Forest a lot you realise what a total rip off centre parcs is. 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Apart from pool complex usually lots of places to stay or camp in or v near Thetford Forest near the Elvedon centre parcs. Can do day or twilight bookings in the centre parc spa too if that floats your boat. Loads of cycle trails for free around the forest, a Go Ape, etc and all of lovely Norfolk and Suffolk near. Living near and going to Thetford Forest a lot you realise what a total rip off centre parcs is. 

Absolutely! Pretty sure my end of it was close to £3k and this was a good 7 or 8 years back too. The pool complex was great and had a blast on the huge slides their with the nipper. Enjoyed the high ropes thing too, but honestly, it wasn't even close to fair value. Great business model though as folk seem happy to shell out for it year in, year out and they always seem busy. Go figure! 

By contrast, I took my dad and my lad on a road trip to Cornwall last year. We did a little bit of self-catering but basically ate in lovely restaurants in and around Padstow every night and some lunchtimes too. Did the Padstow sea-life safari which was incredible, 18 holes of golf on a beautiful links course, some mad adrenaline buzz activities at Hangloose including a 100MPH zipwire over the top of the Eden Project, followed by a serene wonder around the project itself. Coastal walks between pubs, a gastro trip to Rock... We had a blast and slept like babies every night and despite eating a ton of fine food and drinking my bodyweight in some of the best Guinness I've ever tasted, I lost half a stone in weight too. I picked up the tab for everything as it was kind of a bday prezzy for both dad and the boy and yet it only cost me £1,100 all in ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, sage said:

Well I'm in sunny Southwold and it's lovely. Though the pubs are shutting early as they can't get enough staff.

May I ask where you are staying, and would you recommend it?

We were planning to go to our annual family get-together/fishing trip to the north of the country, but June has been unusually cold and the lakes are all murky from constant northerly wind and we have cancelled it.  Waiting for the weather to get warmer, then we will travel the traditional Icelandic way, without plans and chasing the sun and seeing what is to see as we go.

Just booked a break in Norfolk for mid-August. On the day we entered the first lockdown in March 2020, we were staying in a lovely hotel in Kings Lynn, and had to cut the break short. We're going back to the same hotel.

Edited by Eddie

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just booked a break in Norfolk for mid-August. On the day we entered the first lockdown in March 2020, we were staying in a lovely hotel in Kings Lynn, and had to cut the break short. We're going back to the same hotel.

Good deal for the hotel. They won’t have to change the sheets.

Doing two UK cruises. 

One in July from Southampton up the West Coast calling in at Belfast and the Orkneys. 

One in September from Tilbury on the 'kin Disney cruise ship. Conned into it as part of my granddaughter's birthday celebrations. I hope Mickey's bar is well stocked. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Doing two UK cruises. 

One in July from Southampton up the West Coast calling in at Belfast and the Orkneys. 

One in September from Tilbury on the 'kin Disney cruise ship. Conned into it as part of my granddaughter's birthday celebrations. I hope Mickey's bar is well stocked. 

You’ll meet the new owners as they get off and you get on.

19 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Doing two UK cruises. 

Royal Caribbean? Looked at something very similar for Aug.

On 15/06/2021 at 15:36, sage said:

Well I'm in sunny Southwold and it's lovely. Though the pubs are shutting early as they can't get enough staff.

I'll second this area - stayed in Southwold and Walberswick in Airbnbs.  Great crabbing in the River Blythe between the two, get the ferry across or take a long stroll round.  Would also recommend Mrs T's and the Sole Bay fish and chip shops there too, washed down with a nice bottle or two of Adnams.