Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

Was meant to go to Mallorca last October, both flight and hotel was cancelled, Love Holidays refunded the hotel money within a few weeks, for flights had to go direct to RyanAir. 

First up they said no refunds despite them cancelling the flights, instead you get flight credit. Couldn't be bothered to argue and moved the flights to my birthday in February, just to Dublin. 

Flights cancelled again. This time they offered a refund or flight credit, filled out the refund form.....then nothing, nothing, email, nothing. 

The other week I finally get an email to say here is my flight credit voucher I requested, expires Jan 2022, if I would prefer a refund fill this form out. 

Go to fill the form out but none of the details are recognised, go to their online chat, wait time of 3 hours. 

Ended up going to the pub, after a few drinks used the flight voucher to book flights to Almeria in October, Dad has a boat out there and invited us to stay on it, not seen him for maybe 9 years now, fully expecting it to be cancelled again.

Feel for airlines, don't like how they've handled it, I know if I got through to live chat I would be speaking with someone that is on barely above minimum wage and I would be the 400th unhappy customer they've had to deal with today with little control to do anything.

Knew the risks when we book, all blame lies with the government for the leaks, mixed messages and nonsensical rules they keep putting in place every few days. 

28 minutes ago, David said:

Was meant to go to Mallorca last October, both flight and hotel was cancelled, Love Holidays refunded the hotel money within a few weeks, for flights had to go direct to RyanAir. 

First up they said no refunds despite them cancelling the flights, instead you get flight credit. Couldn't be bothered to argue and moved the flights to my birthday in February, just to Dublin. 

Flights cancelled again. This time they offered a refund or flight credit, filled out the refund form.....then nothing, nothing, email, nothing. 

The other week I finally get an email to say here is my flight credit voucher I requested, expires Jan 2022, if I would prefer a refund fill this form out. 

Go to fill the form out but none of the details are recognised, go to their online chat, wait time of 3 hours. 

Ended up going to the pub, after a few drinks used the flight voucher to book flights to Almeria in October, Dad has a boat out there and invited us to stay on it, not seen him for maybe 9 years now, fully expecting it to be cancelled again.

Feel for airlines, don't like how they've handled it, I know if I got through to live chat I would be speaking with someone that is on barely above minimum wage and I would be the 400th unhappy customer they've had to deal with today with little control to do anything.

Knew the risks when we book, all blame lies with the government for the leaks, mixed messages and nonsensical rules they keep putting in place every few days. 

Ryanair have always been a terrible company.

The government probably should have just said that all non essential travel abroad is banned for this year. But then it's got to be policed both here and at the destinations. How can you check that Brits in Spain really are visiting sick relatives?. I can understand why they've tried to open up a bit - even if it means quarantines etc.

It's also a fast changing situation. Before the Delta variant came about, it all looked a lot more hopeful and yesterday's announcement would probably have been Spain, Greece etc being added to the green list.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Ryanair have always been a terrible company.

The government probably should have just said that all non essential travel abroad is banned for this year. But then it's got to be policed both here and at the destinations. How can you check that Brits in Spain really are visiting sick relatives?. I can understand why they've tried to open up a bit - even if it means quarantines etc.

It's also a fast changing situation. Before the Delta variant came about, it all looked a lot more hopeful and yesterday's announcement would probably have been Spain, Greece etc being added to the green list.

To be honest, like I say you know the risks when you book so I'm not overly bothered, I fully expect us to be back in lockdown by October anyway, try to be sold the stay in now and you can enjoy Christmas line. 

Someone said earlier, plenty of places to go in this country, went to Devon last month and being on the beach, beer in the hand could have easily been Spain.

Nothing stopping us getting away now, just not on a plane. There is some genuinely cracking places to visit in this country, not as cheap as a week in Spain mind you, but still.

1 hour ago, David said:

like I say you know the risks when you book so I'm not overly bothered,

Speak for yourself.

The holiday I hope to take in July was booked in September 2019 for a late May 2020 arrival, then was meant to be next week but we moved it again a couple of months ago.

We got a free change from Ryanair, which is a joke, seeing as the flights we moved to were £400 cheaper anyway with no refund of the difference.

I checked, and they operated the same flight to Corfu yesterday, so no chance of a cancellation under the current rules.

The hotel was booked separately, at a time when such a thing was sensible, we've still got free cancellation until the 23rd June, but the next green list announcement is 5 days later ffs.

As it stands, we can cancel the hotel but lose £600 quid on flights, or go regardless and tap out an extra £94 quid on a test to release test once back.

Not really much of a choice.

59 minutes ago, Rev said:

Was just looking at Centre PARC's for 3 nights next weekend.

£2500 for 2 adults, seems like Robin Hood is alive and well in Sherwood Forest.

Is that all on one of them “all one can consume” luncheon arrangements?

11 hours ago, Rev said:

I think you get all the activities included...oh no, you have to pay for them!

Remember a guy at work going and saying you had to pay delivery for the onsite takeaway. Jokes.

11 hours ago, Rev said:

They are ridiculously priced.

Id definitely look at an alternative with someone like Hoseasons. Lots of holiday lodge parks with plenty enough for the kids and adults to do at much lower prices.

On 04/06/2021 at 14:24, RoyMac5 said:

Lockdown: Social distancing could remain in Wales to end of 2021 

"Social distancing could continue in Wales for the rest of the year, the first minister has said."

We’ve got a week in North Wales booked for September. Our first holiday for three years after having to cancel Florida last year (now rearranged for June 2022) and my wife’s illness the year before. Apart from having to pre-book for things like the castles and Welsh Mountain zoo, I think the current restrictions suit us fine. 

20 hours ago, Rev said:

I’ve no idea why it is so expensive or why people are prepared to pay extortionate amounts for very little in return. 
A good hotel would be £120 per night for a couple, and there are loads of things better to do than sitting in a “sub tropical” paradise. 

22 hours ago, Rev said:

Went to Longleat one Xmas with my lad, an ex and her family. It was literally like haemorrhaging cash and the Xmas lunch was garbage as were the food facilities in general. There were some fun activities but I'd sooner stop down Cornwall way and go to places like Hangloose for the adrenalin buzzes or head to the Lakes. Both way cheaper and loads more to do, plus there are actual pubs and proper restaurants for the evening hours.

On 04/06/2021 at 08:07, Mucker1884 said:

Camping and cycling on the North Wales coast for the next few days (Sat to Weds).

Expecting sea views and mountainous backdrops from the tent, direct coastal bike ride from Penmaenmawr through Conwy, then round to Llandudno (20mile total return), and with the help of the car, another coastal ride from Rhos on Sea to Rhyl (24miles return).  Might push on beyond Rhyl, to Prestatyn (upping it to 32miles return) but see how that goes.  We've done it before (32miles is about our limit!) but we're a bit out of practice.  Not been on our bikes since September!

Shorts, sun hats, sunsets to die for, picnic lunches away from the masses, evening meals cobbled together on a single stove and Ridgemonkey, potwashing at the tent, and pissing in a bucket!  

Back to basics*, and back to living the dream, and for today, back to loading up the car to the gunnels!  Nice!   ?

*Not quite back to basics.  We do have mod-cons available, of course, but it spoils the overall effect of my post!  ?

An alternative you might want to consider to Rhyl (yeuk) and Prestatyn is to take the B5106 from Conway to Llanrwst then back on the other side of the valley to Colwyn Bay, a round trip of approx 28 miles. If it's your thing, call in to the beautiful gardens at Bodnant.

Off to North and South Uist in the Outer Hebrides next week, looks like the weather might just hold up until then. Got a week up in Northumberland in September too, another beautiful place that is often overlooked in favour of trips to Spain.

I've accepted holidays abroad simply won't be feasible until after Christmas, so why not take the chance to explore these beautiful British Isles while I get the chance?