Cocu the Future ?

Ramfan1958

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget where we've finished this season. Almost all of our strongest team only came into the squad in January. 

Sibley, Rooney, Bird, Fozzy and Wisdom weren't regulars at the start of the season. We didn't even have Shinnie fit at this point. We play a full season with the points return we got the second half of the season we're comfortable playoffs next year. 

Add a couple of decent signings and there's no reason we won't improve again. I'd expect another 2-3 youth players to break through again also (looking at you Trialist!) 

I do disagree with the original post as I can see with the right players we are going to be successful. 

However, I’m thinking to myself, what makes a genuinely good manager. We all know Phil has his style and with the players to play the way he wants, it can be very effective. But isn’t a good manager, someone who can get the best out of who they already have in the squad? Adapt to suit the squad, not suit the managers ideal style of football ? 

this isn’t a dig at Phil. I want him here to do well. 

6 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Is Cocu the Future in my opinion it's a no .

Is Rooney the Future as a player again it's a no.

I think this is the worst Derby team for many a year. 

Really worried if we play 50% academy players next year that we could be relegated. 

Just being  honest !!!

STA-BI-LI-TY, 

Cba with this forum sometimes 

I would be on board with arguing this is the worst squad we've had since 2013. We finished the season beating Millwall 1-0 with Legzdins in goal, Roberts playing at left back and the late, great Conor Sammon coming off the bench for loanee Chris Martin to bang the winner. 

I guess you can see some similarities between the squads. We're absolutely better now, but the things that side was lacking is pretty much what we're lacking now. As a club, we produce central midfielders just fine. 

Ok, I will admit, I wasn't convinced by Cocu at the start of his tenure as the football was rubbish, and the team selection was baffling. But during the second half of the season, he has started to impress me. So I think he deserves another season. However, I think that any more promising youngsters that are coming through, E.G. Mitchell-Lawson, Hector-Ingram, Brown, Whittaker ect, should be loaned next season. Cocu has given them the taste for first team football, now he needs to loan them to develop them further, maybe send them to League 2, with Whittaker possibly going to League 1, because they aren't good enough yet. Cocu needs to stop using any more youngsters, he's brought through the ones that are ready, now use some cash.

15 hours ago, rammieib said:

And build the team around:

Te Wriek
Rooney
Bird
Sibley
Bielik

Good luck in the off season Mr Cocu. You have my support!

Not sure I'd build the team around someone I'd never seen play for us, to be honest. Probaly wouldn't include Rooney on that list either.

I don’t think we are that far off being a good team, we need to be able to get down the sides of the opposition and more pace up front, we also need a goal keeper.

i know this isn’t rocket science but those 3 players will bake us a more effective team. We then need to look at the defence etc in the following transfer window. 
we play too much slow stuff in front of the opponents because we don’t have the ability to get down the sides 

It's all well and good posters on here asking if Cocu is the future for Derby. I am surprised he isn't asking himself "Is Derby the future for Cocu?". He's had to put up with a mountain of off-pitch rubbish this season and if we end up in a prolonged tangle with the EFL that restricts what we can do on the pitch I wouldn't blame him if he decided to jack it in and take a job that isn't a complete nightmare.

42 minutes ago, Tiverton Ram said:

In my opinion, if he has to get top 6 next season.

So it’s top six or bust next year then even though the league is going to include (probably/hopefully) Villa, Bournemouth, Norwich , and at least two out of WBA, Brentford, Fulham, and Forest to name but a few.

I’m all for ambition and we need to set our sights on at least top six but to suggest a sacking Cocu  automatically if we don’t make it is laughable. What if we finish seventh or eighth (possibly just missing out on goal difference)?, what would the target be for the next manager to keep his job? What if we get a points deduction that dents our drive for promotion?

I don’t think you can set specific make or break targets based solely on end of season league position. 

The only scenarios I can think of where his immediate future should be called into question is if we’re still playing dross and/or we’re seriously flirting with relegation (with no mitigating factors) and there doesn’t appear to be any progress being made.

For me I'd not even class this season as 'his'. He came in late, had no player of his signing and had to manage with what he was given and a trawl through our reserves. Yes, he has had to try and instill a style of football and a change of mentality etc, but with a lot of players leaving or not good enough. On top of that we've had disaster on disaster to deal with making his situation even more difficult.

Next season I'll class as his 'first' if he gets chance to bring in who he wants to play the way he wants. He has already identified what needs to change (almost exactly what we all identify so it is not like he can't see it). A real pre season (although shortened just like everyone elses) and a clear start to the campaign. Depending on if we are hit with any points deductions we should be aiming for a top 6 finish. However, as others have said, depending on other factors it wont be the end of the world if we don't get top 6 as others coming down will have so much more money than us and already stronger squads.

I’ve been baffled by the high level of expectation in recent weeks. That run-in looked so tough and it proved to be too much for us. Even without the kamikaze sending offs and stabbing/injuries, it always looked a big ask to finish 6th. In truth, we haven’t got a Top 6 squad so it came as no surprise to me that we we were beaten by the teams above us.

What a season off the pitch....you just couldn’t make it up. Surely, that’s going to be a one-off. The EFL are my greatest concern. I think they’d love to give us a hard time. 

I think Philip Cocu has done well against such odds. He’s a class act and I really hope he can succeed over time. There’s a few stars in the making to help the cause. I fear we might lose a couple for financial reasons but hope not. We might know more about that likelihood after the Tribunal.

I set him no timescale. If he can improve the youngsters, get us playing more fluent football and make us harder to beat away from home, we won’t be far from success. That might be 2 seasons’ worth rather than one. Enjoy the ride?

Archived