Cocu the Future ?

Ramfan1958

3 hours ago, BOB BIGGS said:

I’ve been baffled by the high level of expectation in recent weeks. That run-in looked so tough and it proved to be too much for us. Even without the kamikaze sending offs and stabbing/injuries, it always looked a big ask to finish 6th. In truth, we haven’t got a Top 6 squad so it came as no surprise to me that we we were beaten by the teams above us.

What a season off the pitch....you just couldn’t make it up. Surely, that’s going to be a one-off. The EFL are my greatest concern. I think they’d love to give us a hard time. 

I think Philip Cocu has done well against such odds. He’s a class act and I really hope he can succeed over time. There’s a few stars in the making to help the cause. I fear we might lose a couple for financial reasons but hope not. We might know more about that likelihood after the Tribunal.

I set him no timescale. If he can improve the youngsters, get us playing more fluent football and make us harder to beat away from home, we won’t be far from success. That might be 2 seasons’ worth rather than one. Enjoy the ride?

Lets face, he has used his quota of bad luck for this season. Not sure what can wrong next year......apart from the tribunal, a fire at pride park and a mystery illness affecting the Derby area. No seriously I have seen enough this year to be hopeful for the next one .

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Like I mentioned 45 season ticket holder so seen some crap would you back Cocu team to beat Rowetts? wish I could get a bet on with he bookies. 

My Dutch friends all PSV fans say Cocu football is boring even though he won them the title. 

How many Dutch PSV Supporting friends do you have out of curiosity ?

3 hours ago, BOB BIGGS said:

I’ve been baffled by the high level of expectation in recent weeks. That run-in looked so tough and it proved to be too much for us. Even without the kamikaze sending offs and stabbing/injuries, it always looked a big ask to finish 6th. In truth, we haven’t got a Top 6 squad so it came as no surprise to me that we we were beaten by the teams above us.

You say that though approximately half the people who voted on a recent poll indicated that they thought we would get into the Top 6 when we were on a purple patch of form.

Why did they think it was possible is a more pertinent question to be directed to them?

1 hour ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Like I mentioned 45 season ticket holder so seen some crap would you back Cocu team to beat Rowetts? wish I could get a bet on with he bookies. 

My Dutch friends all PSV fans say Cocu football is boring even though he won them the title. 

They just beat rowetts team away from home 

20 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Lets face, he has used his quota of bad luck for this season. Not sure what can wrong next year......apart from the tribunal, a fire at pride park and a mystery illness affecting the Derby area. No seriously I have seen enough this year to be hopeful for the next one .

Who could ever have imagined what was to follow?

The deluge; plagues of frogs, locusts and flies; the pestilence, boils; interminable darkness; several points deductions; un-named senior players caught pumping a female linesman....one of whom missed ; Keogh winning his appeal; the great flood; Mel renouncing all personal wealth and joining the Buddhists; Nottingham disappearing into a giant sinkhole.....

you see, it wasn’t all bad. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

You say that though approximately half the people who voted on a recent poll indicated that they thought we would get into the Top 6 when we were on a purple patch of form.

Why did they think it was possible is a more pertinent question to be directed to them?

They voted from their hearts rather than their heads?

46 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Who could ever have imagined what was to follow?

The deluge; plagues of frogs, locusts and flies; the pestilence, boils; interminable darkness; several points deductions; un-named senior players caught pumping a female linesman....one of whom missed ; Keogh winning his appeal; the great flood; Mel renouncing all personal wealth and joining the Buddhists; Nottingham disappearing into a giant sinkhole.....

you see, it wasn’t all bad. 

I’m all for your last one lol

Cocus football is an interesting topic.I reckon his big game plan is that we get our breakthrough through explosive moves. So we play it nice and slow around the back and probe into midfield and then the aim is a sudden change of pace and we bomb forward. 
On paper it sounds good but I think it’s flawed, it allows players to “hide”. When players aren’t confident enough to look to start the forward moves we end up with this silly passing around the back and shooting our selves in the foot. I feel for the young lads because ultimately there new to this level and i can sympathise with them when it comes to not wanting to make mistakes. 

its been boring to watch at times but when we tick we look good. I think we need some natural wide players desperately, make the pitch nice and wide. And create more space, the sooner we drop this two defensive midfielders the better, I can see why he has gone with it though, we are weak at the back and it’s extra cover and allows more options for the centre backs who aren’t natural ball players in my opinion. 

I could go on for ages with observations and stuff but there isn’t any point as it’s speculation, we have had our centre backs decimated this season and you could argue that this position is a key one in a cocu team, as possession will go through them a lot whether we like it or not. 

21 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

They voted from their hearts rather than their heads?

Yes but whatever the reason can't you now understand why there could be this high level of disappointment if nearly half the voters thought, in their own minds, that we could make the Top 6

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

So it’s top six or bust next year then even though the league is going to include (probably/hopefully) Villa, Bournemouth, Norwich , and at least two out of WBA, Brentford, Fulham, and Forest to name but a few.

I’m all for ambition and we need to set our sights on at least top six but to suggest a sacking Cocu  automatically if we don’t make it is laughable. What if we finish seventh or eighth (possibly just missing out on goal difference)?, what would the target be for the next manager to keep his job? What if we get a points deduction that dents our drive for promotion?

I don’t think you can set specific make or break targets based solely on end of season league position. 

The only scenarios I can think of where his immediate future should be called into question is if we’re still playing dross and/or we’re seriously flirting with relegation (with no mitigating factors) and there doesn’t appear to be any progress being made.

The list given of team coming down etc is no real guide to our challenge. It is very unpredictable as to how relegated teams will perform in the Championship. What counts is how our team functions and what Cocuc can improve on. He needs players who can competently play out from the back otherwise we will be in for more if the turgid stuff seen in some of our recent matches.

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’ve got 64........ how many you got?

I asked all my Dutch PSV supporting friends about Cocu and his style of football but they were both too stoned to even manage stringing a coherent sentence together.  Not a surprise though, it's the same every Monday afternoon with Kelle and Florian.

4 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

How many Dutch PSV Supporting friends do you have out of curiosity ?

I work for a Dutch company based in Eindhoven 300+ employees 99% PSV fans the majority say Cocu tactics are boring and they laugh when I tell them the tactics we use !!!

2 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

I work for a Dutch company based in Eindhoven 300+ employees 99% PSV fans the majority say Cocu tactics are boring and they laugh when I tell them the tactics we use !!!

If I recall correctly, exactly what Galatasaray supporters were reported to have said when Cocu was moved on from that club.

Archived