Cocu the Future ?

Ramfan1958

Is Cocu the Future in my opinion it's a no .

Is Rooney the Future as a player again it's a no.

I think this is the worst Derby team for many a year. 

Really worried if we play 50% academy players next year that we could be relegated. 

Just being  honest !!!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right... I’ll try to respond...

Is Cocu the future? Well unless you can see into the future, I don’t know how you can tell. What you can say is he’s been given a 4 year contract, so he’s certainly intended to be the future. Whether he sees that out will depend on his performance year on year. I think he’s done more than enough this season to start the next campaign in charge, and then we will see where things go from there - as every club will with every manager.

Is Rooney the future? Clearly not, he’s 35. What he is though, is the now. And more than that, he’s a former world class player who would walk into any team at this level when fully fit. We’re lucky to have him, though we mustn’t become overly reliant on him.

Worst Derby team for years? Don’t think many will argue against that. It’s the worst squad we’ve had since the Nigel Clough days, and even his later squads were stronger than this one. This is exactly why Cocu deserves credit for the job he has done, because it’s been a very difficult task given what he’s had to work with.

I’ve made my thoughts on the whole 50% of the first team coming from the academy stuff clear previously. I don’t have a lot of confidence in our current strategy. Relegation though I think is very much over pessimistic given what we’ve seen this season. I do think we’re putting too much pressure on very young players to pull off miracles mind, and I think we’re in desperate need of some additional financial investment it bring the squad quality back up.

Cocu may well be the future. It's impossible to know obviously. He's certainly the future for next season I reckon. He's had a lot to deal with and deserves credit for how he's handled things this year. IMO the loss of Keogh was a massive blow and one we never really revovered from. Fingers crossed we make a few additions next year and become a more consistent team.

When someone asks if a 35 year old player is the future at any club then you have to questions the merits of the original postulate which is in effect a rhetorical question.

If you alternatively asked who does Cocu plan to replace this 35 year old with then you would maybe get more considered responses.

35 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Really worried if we play 50% academy players next year that we could be relegated. 

Just being  honest !!!

So what is your solution, purely looking at Cocu? We have a new manager to reassess the squad withIn another really short window. We then have another transition Season, where Martin, Lawrence et al get further fresh starts because we have little budget. Plus we all know they are not the solution. We need to break the cycle of near misses. 

The same mistakes keep happening season upon season - wouldn’t it be nice to actually stick with a manager and see if he can resolve these issues? we always run out of steam in a tough run of games, have you considered this could be our Jan/Feb moment this season? Why did that keep happening? Why do we have flat performances for no apparent reason? We have the tag of bottlers, have any of our seasons been any different? I would suggest not, we always come up short. We are like origami, folding under pressure, time and time again. People mentioned the fight in the Leeds game last year, it was pointless, we bottled it against Villa, we didn’t turn up. Changing the manager has not fixed these problems in 6 seasons. Maybe they all identified the problems, but the club/fans didn’t give them the time to do it, maybe Rowett left because it was too big a job. Maybe Pearson identified it early? Organizations have history and cultures, these can be complex and take time to address. This is all unsubstantiated of course, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, it may be positive, but if there are issues they will never get fixed with constant change. 

For these reasons are precisely why we need someone to build and grow our club, someone with high standards, who represents the club and can build an ethos, while being dignified and compassionate. 

Who better than Cocu, an ex Barcelona legend!! I think you will be surprised next season. 

I am fully behind Cocu. He has had a very difficult first season and on the whole done well. What I am looking for next season is a faster tempo and more urgency. We don’t move the ball quick enough and don’t seem to have that cutting edge in the final third. That is his challenge next season.

25 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Right... I’ll try to respond...

Is Cocu the future? Well unless you can see into the future, I don’t know how you can tell. What you can say is he’s been given a 4 year contract, so he’s certainly intended to be the future. Whether he sees that out will depend on his performance year on year. I think he’s done more than enough this season to start the next campaign in charge, and then we will see where things go from there - as every club will with every manager.

Is Rooney the future? Clearly not, he’s 35. What he is though, is the now. And more than that, he’s a former world class player who would walk into any team at this level when fully fit. We’re lucky to have him, though we mustn’t become overly reliant on him.

Worst Derby team for years? Don’t think many will argue against that. It’s the worst squad we’ve had since the Nigel Clough days, and even his later squads were stronger than this one. This is exactly why Cocu deserves credit for the job he has done, because it’s been a very difficult task given what he’s had to work with.

I’ve made my thoughts on the whole 50% of the first team coming from the academy stuff clear previously. I don’t have a lot of confidence in our current strategy. Relegation though I think is very much over pessimistic given what we’ve seen this season. I do think we’re putting too much pressure on very young players to pull off miracles mind, and I think we’re in desperate need of some additional financial investment it bring the squad quality back up.

The team today played so slow it's so boring to watch , theres no passion in the players.

That was Leeds reserve team and they were miles better than us.

Are we improving No is the answer. 

48 years season ticket holder and I don't see what the future is with this manager , it's been a shocking season tell me one game were you went Wow !!.

Bringing the young lads through hes 100% the future, he just needs to be backed this  window clearly going off his interview the other day he’s not been happy with the lack of help he’s had in the windows! We clearly last  summer waited right till the end to do any kind of business in the winger and goalkeeper positions 

We have a good squad. Squad getting stronger from players who will be returning after being out. We'll get players in for the positions we've been looking to fill, all season and the academy players are good enough for this league and I'm excited particularly about that. The football is often too mundane and not progressive enough. 

Let's see how the first half of next season goes. Hopefully Cocu will have learnt how this league works. We picked up most of our points when we played progressive attacking football. There isn't a case to play 'Cocu ball' to this extreme. Which is play it back or sideways instead of forwards if we might lose possession. Or, worse than that, still try and play it out from the back or keep the ball in play, even though it's clear the ball needs to be played out or hoofed up field. 

Yes build from the back and possession football. But not to the point where it is regressive. 

50 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Just being  honest !!!

This team is no way worse than some of the teams we had just after premier league relegation.

Some of the academy players are already showing they are easily good enough for this league and will get better. Cocu is the right man. We might get relegated with a points deduction though! 

Archived