Cocu the Future ?

Ramfan1958

He deserves a full pre season, transfer window, and all next season. I think he will build slowly and methodically, like Cliff Thorburn building a frame winning break, with plenty of snookers thrown in, with the odd red/ back combination.

Part of me wants the excitement of a Ronnie O’Sullivan type manager who just goes for it every frame or game.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

He deserves a full pre season, transfer window, and all next season. I think he will build slowly and methodically, like Cliff Thorburn building a frame winning break, with plenty of snookers thrown in, with the odd red/ back combination.

Part of me wants the excitement of a Ronnie O’Sullivan type manager who just goes for it every frame or game.

Based on near misses over the last 6 years more Jimmy White aren't we.

On 19/07/2020 at 18:08, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'm fully behind Cocu. With the players at his disposal this season he's done what I expected. 

Our squad isn't good enough. To even suggest he's not the future is borderline ridiculous. 

We haven't started back to back seasons with the same manager since Clough. We need stability. 

He came in last season with 3 weeks of a pre season which was a disaster. Nowhere near enough time to assess the squad and see what was needed. 

Next season is a big season. Hopefully the EFL charge will come to nothing and we can strengthen. 

I'd sell Bogle tomorrow if a decent enough offer came in (£8-£10 million) He's gone backwards from last season. Not the best defensively and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired. Then we have the funds to strengthen.

The lack of pace out wide and through the middle is staggering. 

Our midfield is all pedestrian. Rooney, Shinnie, Bird, Knight. There's not a lot of creativity there and that needs addressing. 

Keeper, winger (possibly 2) a striker, a centre half and something different in midfield. 

Add that in with Bielik being back, Marriott getting a pre season behind him and we could have a good season..

You can't expect us to go anywhere if we just keep changing managers. 

Wouldn't surprise me if talks had already begun with players. There's some decent free transfers out there too. 

Cocu knows more about football than all of us put together. He knows what's needed and what we need to do. 

Pretty sure his first season at PSV wasn't that good either.

Give the bloke a chance.

Fantastic post ??????

New GK

Bogle Bielik Te Weirik? Lowe 

Rooney Bird 

New Winger Sibley Lawrence 

New Striker 

bench: (from) 

Ravas, Wisdom, Buchanan, Shinnie, Knight, Waghorn, Marriott, Whittaker, Ebosele, Martin, Foz, Davies. 

That’s not a squad that’s being relegated. 3 incomings needed to make the leap to top 6 IMO. 

I really want the youngsters in our team to grow together but if it takes selling Bogle for decent money (£10m) to make the signings needed, and with Wisdom able to step in and do just as good a job it’s something I’d be prepared to accept. 

I’d also be fine with selling Lawrence if 2 wingers came in instead of 1. 
Same for Marriott if Martin extends his deal. 

That’s not because I don’t rate Lawrence or Marriott I just think they’re saleable assets and I think we’ll need to raise funds. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bogle goes.

Saw him walk away from Cocu on Sunday and the manager didn’t look impressed. 
Bogle may improve through a fresh challenge with a new club. If he really wants to stay I’m all for that too. He is a way from the finished article but shows glimpses of real talent.

Lawrence too has talent but really, how many dramas can you tolerate?

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Bogle may improve through a fresh challenge with a new club. If he really wants to stay I’m all for that too. He is a way from the finished article but shows glimpses of real talent.

Lawrence too has talent but really, how many dramas can you tolerate?

Lawrence came out and admitted that since his mums death he’d become reliant on alcohol. That was a big step and I’m sure the club got him the very best help available. I think you’d struggle to find a more consistent performer in the front 4 than him since the earlier incident in the season. I also think he reacted how 90% of people would to being hit/head butted twice by someone else... 

I think if he stays next year is make or break for him. 

35 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I also think he reacted how 90% of people would to being hit/head butted twice by someone else... 

I think if he stays next year is make or break for him. 

He wasn't headbutted until he walked back to the other player - twice.

Every year is make or break for Lawrence it seems - I like him but sell before he gets into his last year of contract (any buyers I wonder, probably not!).

57 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

There has been some friction for quite a few games. Especially when bogle kept getting subbed.
I suspect wisdom will be playing right back with te wierik coming in. However Andre’s bro tweeted that Wisdom would be one of the best centre backs in the league if he was given a proper opportunity to play there. He also said “has anyone actually seen te wierik play?”. I therefore assume that Andre would rather play centre back. 

22 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

So it’s top six or bust next year then even though the league is going to include (probably/hopefully) Villa, Bournemouth, Norwich , and at least two out of WBA, Brentford, Fulham, and Forest to name but a few.

I’m all for ambition and we need to set our sights on at least top six but to suggest a sacking Cocu  automatically if we don’t make it is laughable. What if we finish seventh or eighth (possibly just missing out on goal difference)?, what would the target be for the next manager to keep his job? What if we get a points deduction that dents our drive for promotion?

I don’t think you can set specific make or break targets based solely on end of season league position. 

The only scenarios I can think of where his immediate future should be called into question is if we’re still playing dross and/or we’re seriously flirting with relegation (with no mitigating factors) and there doesn’t appear to be any progress being made.

Ok I get your point but we have at least challenge those teams. Maybe not top 6 or bust, but at least be in and around the playoffs and not have a shocking first half of the season again.

If we get a points deduction I would be happy with mid table.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I put those two issues down to just losing 3-1 when 1 up.

No, this was at the first drinks break. 

Cocu was having a word with him and he waved his arms and walked away. 

Cocu looked fuming. 

8 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Everyone's got Dutch mates haven't they when they want to justify their reasoning for not wanting Cocu!

I don't have any Dutch friends ?

I do know a Welshman though, don't know if that counts?

Perhaps Ruud, Johan & Edwin are Dutch, I must ask them next time they come into the Clog Shop.

51 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Everyone's got Dutch mates haven't they when they want to justify their reasoning for not wanting Cocu!

I just want to point out that I didn't say anything about Dutch mates - Somehow you've quoted me as saying that! 

For starters the sentence structure is terrible - If I'd said it I would have put:

"I know some PSV fans who say Cocu's football is boring even though he won them the title"

But I also wouldn't say that because I don't believe it

12 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I just want to point out that I didn't say anything about Dutch mates - Somehow you've quoted me as saying that! 

For starters the sentence structure is terrible - If I'd said it I would have put:

"I know some PSV fans who say Cocu's football is boring even though he won them the title"

But I also wouldn't say that because I don't believe it

That is weird! I definitely didn't quote you!

He needs backing. He has the track record, and the big name, but if you have your hands tied you can only achieve a certain amount.

Cocu has already made it clear that he needs a striker, winger and GK if he wants to compete next year, it's up to Mel and the powers that be to provide him with the players. 

I cant see anything but free transfers and loans this summer, especially with the EFL charge hanging over our heads. 

So as a fan base we should back Cocu until we come out of the other side of this debacle. Hes worked wonders this year with what has happened. Give the bloke time! 

31 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

That is weird! I definitely didn't quote you!

Apparently the mods have decided I need blaming for other people's bonkers opinions

I've always thought I had enough trouble dealing with the responses to my own bonkers opinions!

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Cocu was having a word with him and he waved his arms and walked away. 

Cocu looked fuming. 

I saw that, bogle walked away shaking his head. Obviously some sort of disagreement. Wonder if there's anything in it?

Archived