Cocu the Future ?

Ramfan1958

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

The man oozes class & decency.

Bit of a shoehorn but interesting seeing the imminent appointment of Koeman at Barcelona given that a) he is a famous ex-Barca player & b) has had some success as a manager. The former obviously applies to Cocu, the second definitely so (3 Eredivise titles each but Cocu has had 10 less years in management). After a very successful spell with us, I hope he gets that opportunity one day.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

One thing for sure - our youngsters get how to play Cocu-ball. It will be interesting to see how quickly some of them replace our more established players. 

It’s a lot easier to focus a player in to playing a certain way when they’re younger and in their development years.

To be honest, if I have one criticism of Mel, it wouldn’t be the money wasted or the playing with fire in terms of financial loopholes, it would be the lack of consistency with our first team vision.

He’s wanted youth to be a big part of this club for a while now, which is admirable. However going from McClaren, to Pearson, to McClaren, to Rowett, to Lampard... there was no set identity or consistency. Every season or less, we were twisting & turning in terms of our approach and style of football.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Cocu has come in and all of a sudden, the investment in the academy is starting to pay off. Players are moving from boys to men without an issue, like they’ve been playing in that side for years - because in a way they have.

I think it’s obvious why Mel was so keen on Cocu and I’m pleased for him that we’re starting to see results. When you look at the seemingly endless conveyor belt of talent coming through, sticking with Cocu could set this club up for a fantastic future. I’d say we have one of the brightest futures out of any side in this league, points deduction this year or not. It might take a year or two more to fully realise that, but it’s coming. 

Just a comment on Cocu. Not sure if anyone else has noticed but big Phil is fast approaching the longest serving manager the Rams have had in 5 years ... that’s 10 previous managers that he would have overtaken.

I wonder what the secret of his longevity is?!

25 minutes ago, Malty said:

Just a comment on Cocu. Not sure if anyone else has noticed but big Phil is fast approaching the longest serving manager the Rams have had in 5 years ... that’s 10 previous managers that he would have overtaken.

I wonder what the secret of his longevity is?!

Probably more a reflection of how unstable we've been as a club than anything! For the first time since McClaren's first reign, we have a manager that totally matches our situation as a club - hence why he'll be given a lot of leeway on results. The others were either wrong men at wrong time, just plain not good enough or decided to jump at the first better offer (Lampard & Rowett)

P.s. noticed your first post, so hi!

Whilst Cocu is getting much deserved credit for blooding the academy prospects , massive credit to Mel and especially Wassall for creating sustaining and developing the infrastructure and conveyor belt  in the first place . Finally the right collective team behind the scenes , with ple ty more bumps in the road ahead to overcome we all must keep the faith . 

On 21/08/2020 at 08:16, r4derby said:

This is one of those signings that would really excite, compared to other players we’ve been linked with, because he has obvious quality but also an unknown potential.

I am not sure how much it will take, but it must be worth it. Bielik was expensive, and has had set backs already, but it was an investment for the future. 1 good season and he will be worth a lot of money (again). Panzo falls into that category

Archived