v Dirty Leeds (H) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Isn't football supposed to be entertaining? We might have been developing Mount and Tomori for Chelsea but they were a pleasure to watch and showed up in the big games. We're not inconsistent, we're rubbish against good teams. Have been all season long. I just don't know when we should start expecting more and not just be ok with losing 4 on the bounce.

Were you entertained by any of those games I listed? I’d be surprised if you weren’t. 

Second half of the season we lost to the teams that were better than us. Brentford, Leeds, WBA are the top 3 in the division. Better teams with better players, and we were unlucky to lose to one of them. Cardiff was a poor performance I’ll grant, compounded by errors. But to say we’re not inconsistent is silly, we are inconsistent within games themselves let alone across different games. 

You’re allowed to expect more of course. But expecting to beat teams such as those is to set yourself up for disappointment. They’re better than us and are at different stages of their cycles. Not sure what more I can say really, the squad is probably somewhere from 6th - 12th best in the division, we’ve finished 12th after a shocking start to the season. I would expect more next year for sure, that’s what learning and developing young players is all about.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

You can find them but you have to generate sales first.

if you want to succeed you have to be ruthless.

There is a difference between being ruthless and realistic.

You need to find buyers at the right price. We could half the squad with relative ease but, getting the price we need in order to finance the bold changes you’re suggesting might not be that easy.

It's about playing personal. The youngsters have been great but they may only be mid table championship level. We need exceptional championship players to go up. Add to that Martin, Waghorn, Forsyth, Davies and many others not good enough or athletic enough. Very disappointed this afternoon. 

Oh well.... Onto next season I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Were you entertained by any of those games I listed? I’d be surprised if you weren’t. 

Second half of the season we lost to the teams that were better than us. Brentford, Leeds, WBA are the top 3 in the division. Better teams with better players, and we were unlucky to lose to one of them. Cardiff was a poor performance I’ll grant, compounded by errors. But to say we’re not inconsistent is silly, we are inconsistent within games themselves let alone across different games. 

You’re allowed to expect more of course. But expecting to beat teams such as those is to set yourself up for disappointment. They’re better than us and are at different stages of their cycles. Not sure what more I can say really, the squad is probably somewhere from 6th - 12th best in the division, we’ve finished 12th after a shocking start to the season. I would expect more next year for sure, that’s what learning and developing young players is all about.

Probably, but no game this season matches up to some of Frank's best, for example. I expect us to compete. I expect us to trouble them. I don't expect them to walk off thinking they've barely been in a game. It's happened far too much recently. Must be easy being a keeper against Derby. We don't shoot.

Leeds played passes down our channels on both flanks, over the top, defense splitting through balls and Into feet.  We can only play into and off Martin.  We are so one dimensional and have no pace upfront, it’s no wonder we are easy to play against. 

We need a proper striker who has pace and can hold it up, someone who will drag defenders out of position, open up spaces for others. we also need a fast winger as an outlet. 

As a trio and maybe good players individually, wouldMartin, Lawrence and Waghorn get in Leeds team? I just feel their skills sets don’t compliment each other.  For me that was the difference today

In recent weeks, we've seen Huddersfield beat WBA, Stoke beat Brentford, and Luton get a draw at Leeds.

That shows you that it isn't all down to the quality of the players. There's always a leveller to be found in this division. Lesser teams can get results and the top six are far from untouchable.

Yet we are expected to accept 4 defeats from 5 and spineless performances, because 'the players aren't good enough' and 'we are where we are'.

The players haven't looked up for it. The players haven't believed. The players haven't shown intensity or intent. Who is responsible for that?

1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Leeds played passes down our channels on both flanks, over the top, defense splitting through balls and Into feet.  We can only play into and off Martin.  We are so one dimensional and have no pace upfront, it’s no wonder we are easy to play against. 

We need a proper striker who has pace and can hold it up, someone who will drag defenders out of position, open up spaces for others. we also need a fast winger as an outlet. 

As a trio and maybe good players individually, wouldMartin, Lawrence and Waghorn get in Leeds team? I just feel their skills sets don’t compliment each other.  For me that was the difference today

We seem to lack pace and energy throughout the team.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Probably, but no game this season matches up to some of Frank's best, for example. I expect us to compete. I expect us to trouble them. I don't expect them to walk off thinking they've barely been in a game. It's happened far too much recently. Must be easy being a keeper against Derby. We don't shoot.

Agreed, i can't think of many, if any matches where we've played really well full 90 minutes (or 70 before anyone says its impossible). It's been too often the whole match being lethargic, or one half fantastic, the second half backs against the wall. 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

In recent weeks, we've seen Huddersfield beat WBA, Stoke beat Brentford, and Luton get a draw at Leeds.

That shows you that it isn't all down to the quality of the players. There's always a leveller to be found in this division. Lesser teams can get results and the top six are far from untouchable.

Yet we are expected to accept 4 defeats from 5 and spineless performances, because 'the players aren't good enough' and 'we are where we are'.

The players haven't looked up for it. The players haven't believed. The players haven't shown intensity or intent. Who is responsible for that?

You're still on your crusade I see. I wish Derby were as consistant as you. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Frank had significantly better attacking options at his disposal so that's not really surprising. We were dragged into the playoffs by Mount, Wilson and Marriott last year, 2 went back to their parent clubs and the other has had massive injury issues. Our main creative outlet in the final third this year is either from an 18 year old Sibley or a Martin flick and that's just not enough for a team to rely on. Until we get some proper wingers in this squad it's going to be the same old story over and over again.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The players.

I think we are missing the player that links the DM and the attackers, today Sibley tried but was pushed too far back and therefore made him and Martin have little effect. It’s not a players fault particularly or that no one isn’t good enough, it’s just we lack that depth. Or as noted the other day, we don’t get enough out of the players who can provide that role over a season be it through lack of experience or not getting enough consistent games out of say Holmes or Lawrence to help us make a serious push.

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

Frank had significantly better attacking options at his disposal so that's not really surprising. We were dragged into the playoffs by Mount, Wilson and Marriott last year, 2 went back to their parent clubs and the other has had massive injury issues. Our main creative outlet in the final third this year is either from an 18 year old Sibley or a Martin flick and that's just not enough for a team to rely on. Until we get some proper wingers in this squad it's going to be the same old story over and over again.

He could also motivate our players for the big games. We've not performed in any big games this season, not a single one. 

Lethargic performance. Leeds wanted it more and expected to win. Lost 50/50s. Beaten by easy triangles. Not enough tackles. Their players more aggressive in the press. We looked like we were passing and running in sand. No tempo. Didn’t even look that bothered when we took the lead. Cocu needs to sign some winners and characters before we even think about positions..

Just now, Barney1991 said:

This team has also been outplayed by a lot of teams down there aswell. Wigan home Luton away  Charlton away and many many more. 

Same as last season then when we had tomori, mount and Wilson and Lampard.

Archived