v Dirty Leeds (H) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Not enjoying this Leeds celebration. What's the point? They were already champions before they played. They are really milking it.  

I’ve got a feeling it’s payback for last year at their place. They could have saved the celebration for Wednesday, but I have no doubt our celebrations at their place last year hurt them big time.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

So you expected to beat Leeds?

Yes. As it happened, they were promoted by today and their players had been on the piss for days and they were playing a second team whilst we were playing our first one.

Well that’s the end of the pre season home friendly games

Roos did nothing wrong

Bogle - frustrating

Davies - his time should be up  

clarke - ok but not the top centre half some people think he is 

Forsyth - another assist played ok 

Rooney - ok

bird - ok but I don’t think we gain much playing both him and Rooney

sibley - looked ok but at least he didn’t get sent off 

Lawrence - is that the last we see of him ?

waghorn - I would sell him if someone would give us £6 million - contributed nothing today

Martin - actually played ok but we had few runners for him but scored again 

subs - knight - ok

Buchanan - totally lost his man for the 2nd goal and needs to do better than that 

Marriott - once chance one very bad miss

Shinnie - did ok  

Just now, Andicis said:

I'm not comparing us to Leeds, they're clearly far superior my point was more I think Cocu's tactics are holding us back. I also don't think we'll have the money to address some of the gaping holes in our teams so I expect another season of nothing.

Shame we haven’t got a time machine, to see where we’re at half way through next season. Wells we haven’t, but we should have pace, high tempo, and a run til you drop attitude.

Lots of learning points though for a first season...

- can't assume we can build a first XI around Rooney for a 46 game season. We HAVE to develop a style we can rotate him in.

- the young lads need more coaching to remember all the reasons they were brought in - not to forget them all and regress. But there's things to work on there.

- we need a few senior players where "senior" doesn't mean slow and ancient, it means able to share their experience

- Cocu knows (as ive written elsewhere) he can improve conditioning and fitness and must spend effort in this area. We don't move more than other teams, we don't have extra games, so why do we look so tired relative to others.

- I'm very grateful that unlike all of our other cavalcade of recent managers, Cocu HASN'T spaffed a fortune away either by panicking or insisting on his own men. We were due a season like this - we've been saying for years how a clear out was needed and now we've finally cracked on.

Disappointing end and would have been nice to run a couple of teams closer, but there we are.

This team is exactly where I thought we would end up so I don't feel anything really. There's no way they are good enough to go up but hopefully given a season and with a couple of new signings we will be in the running for promotion, if not next season the season after. Just hope we keep our youngsters.

We need a Summer holiday. Let’s come back with a fully fit Bielik, a fully fit Marriott, a new goalkeeper, our new Dutch centre back and our bunch of excellent teenagers a little bit wiser, bigger and stronger. 

If we can have more new faces then great, but let’s make sure that they’re better than we have already. 

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Embarrassing answer. I expected 6/7 points from it. But more so, I expected us to compete. I was ok with the performance against Brentford. The rest were terrible performances from us.

Fair enough.

I expected exactly what we got, based on where our squad is at, the lack of depth and the tough scehdule.

Just ducking fed up tbh

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I'm not comparing us to Leeds, they're clearly far superior my point was more I think Cocu's tactics are holding us back. I also don't think we'll have the money to address some of the gaping holes in our teams so I expect another season of nothing.

But you did compare Cocu to Bielsa? And Bielsa is so good that Leeds essentially are him.

I suspect Bielsa could take over probably at least 50% of teams in this division and have them not far off Leeds’ current level, he is that excellent. Cocu isn’t at that level but I’d still have him over most in this division. Up until a couple of games ago we were right in the mix despite one of the hardest off field seasons a coach could possibly have to endure. 

I am not sure what Cocu can do about Hamer throwing them in, or Clarke’s OG today, or Rooney’s or Knight’s mistake at Cardiff. In truth it won’t matter how we play until we can sort that out.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

- can't assume we can build a first XI around Rooney for a 46 game season. We HAVE to develop a style we can rotate him in.

- the young lads need more coaching to remember all the reasons they were brought in - not to forget them all and regress. But there's things to work on there.

- we need a few senior players where "senior" doesn't mean slow and ancient, it means able to share their experience

- Cocu knows (as ive written elsewhere) he can improve conditioning and fitness and must spend effort in this area. We don't move more than other teams, we don't have extra games, so why do we look so tired relative to others.

- I'm very grateful that unlike all of our other cavalcade of recent managers, Cocu HASN'T spaffed a fortune away either by panicking or insisting on his own men. We were due a season like this - we've been saying for years how a clear out was needed and now we've finally cracked on.

Disappointing end and would have been nice to run a couple of teams closer, but there we are.

The voice of reason

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

We need a striker but you'd sell our top scorer?

purely on the basis I expect there might be interest in him and we might get bit of money for him. Can be replaced. Must be on a good wage and we have spent 8 million on him including add ons and I don't think he has justified his price tag

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Well that’s the end of the pre season home friendly games

Roos did nothing wrong

Bogle - frustrating

Davies - his time should be up  

clarke - ok but not the top centre half some people think he is 

Forsyth - another assist played ok 

Rooney - ok

bird - ok but I don’t think we gain much playing both him and Rooney

sibley - looked ok but at least he didn’t get sent off 

Lawrence - is that the last we see of him ?

waghorn - I would sell him if someone would give us £6 million - contributed nothing today

Martin - actually played ok but we had few runners for him but scored again 

subs - knight - ok

Buchanan - totally lost his man for the 2nd goal and needs to do better than that 

Marriott - once chance one very bad miss

Shinnie - did ok  

Agree re bird and Rooney 

we lose all drive and movement by them playing together ... solid ish platform to stay on the ball but so much of it is safe sideways and back... I don’t mind that at all.. heck I applaud it if we’ve got one guy doing it keeping us ticking over but we lose so much from an attacking sense by having two players holding hands deep in our own half it just get predictable for the fans watching and I’m sure the opposition 

overall pretty disappointing really 

can’t say anyone came out with any real credit 

Martin did well In patches and poorly on others 

most though honestly thing were 5.5/6/6.5 out of 10 tops 

it was all pretty laboured and disjointed against a second string Leeds outfit 

Just now, nottingram said:

But you did compare Cocu to Bielsa? And Bielsa is so good that Leeds essentially are him.

I suspect Bielsa could take over probably at least 50% of teams in this division and have them not far off Leeds’ current level, he is that excellent. Cocu isn’t at that level but I’d still have him over most in this division. Up until a couple of games ago we were right in the mix despite one of the hardest off field seasons a coach could possibly have to endure. 

I am not sure what Cocu can do about Hamer throwing them in, or Clarke’s OG today, or Rooney’s or Knight’s mistake at Cardiff. In truth it won’t matter how we play until we can sort that out.

I only used Bielsa as an example because he was the first of the top of my head, but a lot of managers could squeeze more out of this Derby team. Cocu isn't to blame for players making mistakes, but we approach games against big teams too negatively every time. We're so worried about them we never play. We sit off. We don't press, we don't harass the opposition, but they do all that to us. 

7 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

cant believe how backwards bird has gone aswell. Compared to Thorne by many i wouldn't let him duck Thorneys toe but I know he's still young. He's gotta learn to pass forward and release it more quicker. If he's any slower he might aswell pick the ball up shove it up his top and pretend he's pregnant. Like I said I know he's young but gotta improve quickly. I would sell waghorn bogle and few others and reinvest. We need a striker 2 wingers centre attacking mid to compete with sibley centre back and a left back and keeper. 

I can’t see us being very successful playing both Bird and Rooney as defensive midfielders at the same time as it takes so much away offensively and we need that extra body up front, I think they need to share the workload and where the heck does Belick fit in because he is no centre half 

I thought knight did well. Him and Sibley were positive. Martin’s lay offs and hold up we’re ok.

the rest bored me shirtless. 

Sad for Clarke who was possibly our best player. Nothing game for us but we should have had more passion and commitment. Rooney is looking more disinterested each game. Feel for the youngsters who hopefully will learn from it. Overall complete opposite from the Leeds game at Elland Road last season. Total ecstasy to mediocrity. Wish this was our last game. Hope Cocu is given funds to strengthen for next season. Only thing which may brighten my summer will be when Forest blow their chance in play-offs. Now where's me beer?

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A season like this has been needed for a long time, we will improve and our young players will only improve 

Archived