Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

2 hours ago, BriggRam said:

i think Evans has played well since he's come in, can't see any reason to drop him, especially for Davies who doesn't pass as well, is slower and less agile than Evans

Yes, can’t really see Davis starting for us. Excellent player in his day but legs can’t go as fast as they need to now?

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some intriguing comments in this thread. We're not ready to go up, it could be a disaster if we go up etc.

What if we hadn't lost Wisdom, Lawrence, Marriott and Waghorn to injuries / suspensions, and we'd beaten Forest, WBA and Brentford, then kept the run going and won the play-offs?

With Bielik to return next season, Rooney only one year older (if we don't go up this season, I think Wayne's chances of ever playing in the Premier league are gone for good), te Wierik already signed up for next year, a massively improving young squad, and a couple of further astute buys / loans from Cocu, who knows what we might have done next year if we'd gone up?

I personally can't see it happening now - and even smashing Cardiff might not be enough if other results go against us, but with the amazing change since January, it would have been interesting to watch.

1 minute ago, Addingham Ram said:

Some intriguing comments in this thread. We're not ready to go up, it could be a disaster if we go up etc.

What if we hadn't lost Wisdom, Lawrence, Marriott and Waghorn to injuries / suspensions, and we'd beaten Forest, WBA and Brentford, then kept the run going and won the play-offs?

With Bielik to return next season, Rooney only one year older (if we don't go up this season, I think Wayne's chances of ever playing in the Premier league are gone for good), te Wierik already signed up for next year, a massively improving young squad, and a couple of further astute buys / loans from Cocu, who knows what we might have done next year if we'd gone up?

I personally can't see it happening now - and even smashing Cardiff might not be enough if other results go against us, but with the amazing change since January, it would have been interesting to watch.

The not good enough/not ready to go up is the biggest fallacy in football. Every promoted team bar one (last time I looked) has signed double figures in players for the past decade. 

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

I'm wondering why is this thread so quiet? Biggest game of the season and no one is interested?

Or have we won the game already and I'm just late?

Perhaps we need to wait for everyone to switch off their work laptops, get a couple of cheeky midweek beers inside them, look at the league table again and realise that all is not yet lost. Might get a bit busier then.

There are rumours that Cocu has gone with Hamer in goal for tonight, which is no surprise. He stood by his keeper after Saturday's catastrophe, and was going to check on Hamer's state of mind. One assumes that Hamer is ok, so it doesn't surprise me that Cocu has picked him as that is perhaps the best way to boost the lad's confidence With Roos playing back-up, perhaps the plan is that hamer will continue to command his area and come for the crosses, with Roos staying on the line as the shot-stopper!

Cocu has also pointed out Cardiff's "direct" style of play which he says is different to Brentford's and WBA's style. It is a polite way of saying route one thuggery IMHO! But it means we will have to be much tougher in defence, but we will still have to pick up the runners so they don't get to the lay-offs and flick-on's by whoever is the Gorilla up front for Cardiff tonight.

7 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

There are rumours that Cocu has gone with Hamer in goal for tonight, which is no surprise. He stood by his keeper after Saturday's catastrophe, and was going to check on Hamer's state of mind. One assumes that Hamer is ok, so it doesn't surprise me that Cocu has picked him as that is perhaps the best way to boost the lad's confidence With Roos playing back-up, perhaps the plan is that hamer will continue to command his area and come for the crosses, with Roos staying on the line as the shot-stopper!

Cocu has also pointed out Cardiff's "direct" style of play which he says is different to Brentford's and WBA's style. It is a polite way of saying route one thuggery IMHO! But it means we will have to be much tougher in defence, but we will still have to pick up the runners so they don't get to the lay-offs and flick-on's by whoever is the Gorilla up front for Cardiff tonight.

But what is the point when he’s gone in a few weeks? We need to win games now, not build him up so we can say goodbye anyway. 

May be a game for Forsyth and Wisdom if they are fit.  I would go with...

Poom

Wisdom (if fit) Evans Clarke Fozzy

Rooney Bird 

Knight Sibley Lawrence

Martin

Maybe Shinnie for Knight and go 433

I'm hoping we try to play quicker in the final third tonight. To do that we need to be a bit more adventurous which is difficult if confidence is low. I don't think Martin will last the full ninety but I'd start him and try to get the midfield pushed higher up the pitch at every opportunity. COYR

Archived