Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Sounds great and I can see your logic but the question is always where are the goals coming from? 

Lots of pressure on the front two with Rooney staying deep and neither Bird nor Shinnie prolific. 

Great having Lowe and Bogle streaking down the wing but who will they cross to? 

We are currently struggling with this part of our game. 

Fair point, I do think Shinnie has more goals in him if he was allowed freedom to make the runs forward. You could play Holmes in the three who is more attack minded maybe but it also depends on the summer recruitment. 

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marriott's been back in training for the last week

Is he available for selection ? I think would be a boost for us and will make Cardiff think...its a lot to ask Martin to play a full 90 in such a short space of time 

23 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Is he available for selection ? I think would be a boost for us and will make Cardiff think...its a lot to ask Martin to play a full 90 in such a short space of time 

As @Animal is a Ram says, it's doubtful. Birmingham is probably the soonest (with an outside chance of Leeds), and if we make the playoffs he'll most likely be used off the bench in each game. Depending on the result vs Cardiff it may be best to let him fully recover and have a solid pre-season.

It's remarkable we're still in with a shout, after all that's happened. However, I think the biggest problem this season hasn't been all the nonsense off the field, but rather the lack of a decent keeper. It has cost us so many points. Hamer wanted to play for us, but never convinced. Roos has more natural ability, but the defence and fans have never seemed able to trust him. With Hamer having the shirt, just since the restart we've conceded so many goals a stronger keeper would have prevented.

I presume Hamer has played his last Derby game. I think Roos's contract extends into next season. If we think we're likely to put faith in Roos for next season, or want to assess that, then he starts. It might help him that there aren't fans in the ground. But if we know we're going to buy someone else (maybe a deal is already prepared for Joe Hart, Danny Ward or Zach Steffen?), then I don't have a problem giving Ravas a go.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's remarkable we're still in with a shout, after all that's happened. However, I think the biggest problem this season hasn't been all the nonsense off the field, but rather the lack of a decent keeper. It has cost us so many points. Hamer wanted to play for us, but never convinced. Roos has more natural ability, but the defence and fans have never seemed able to trust him. With Hamer having the shirt, just since the restart we've conceded so many goals a stronger keeper would have prevented.

I presume Hamer has played his last Derby game. I think Roos's contract extends into next season. If we think we're likely to put faith in Roos for next season, or want to assess that, then he starts. It might help him that there aren't fans in the ground. But if we know we're going to buy someone else (maybe a deal is already prepared for Joe Hart, Danny Ward or Zach Steffen?), then I don't have a problem giving Ravas a go.

We have been at our weakest for a long time defensively all season which probably was down to losing Keogh, Clarke has done ok but he lacks speed and definitely needs that next to him and when we lost him we needed Forsyth in there whilst lowe and Bogle are both learning how to defend in real football and their mistakes have been punished frequently whilst in the first half of the season our midfield was disorganised and very weak whilst we weren’t holding the ball up at all up front. I thought the Hamer signing was cover for Roos but it hasn’t worked out that way and I do believe Roos suffered due to the first half of the season mess in front of him and yes I would snap up joe Hart if we could afford him but we also need another centre half to accompany the new Dutch lad.

and oh yes referees have picked on us dreadfully in my opinion

I think what need compact teams at the moment is speed and pace to help compact these teams if the likes of selby bogle max low and even tom Lawrence it would make space like martin do what he does best and even make room for roony to do his thing.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Anyone think that Cocu will play Hamer after standing up for him over the Twitter abuse, and saying all players make mistakes?

I think if he picks him it's because he things he's the best option he has and I think more than anything he might take him out of the firing line. 

It is tricky from a coaching perspective though and I'm glad he's stuck up for him rather than hanging him out to dry or not commenting.

11 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Maybe give 3 In goal a try , Evans , Davies and Clarke with Bogle and Lowe as wing backs

FTFY

Nothing against hamer but I it does seem a bit odd to play a Thirty something Huddersfield squad player ahead of our own keeper.

Archived