Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

The goal keeping situation is tricky. Hamer has had a bad time of it since the restart, and was definitely slipping before that, but let’s not forget that Roos was dropped for making game costing errors as well. Neither of them is good enough to be in goal for a play off chasing side and that is our real issue. 

Of the two of them, Roos is probably better at the reflex saves and kicking, but Hamer is probably better at coming off his line to try and deal with a high ball coming into the box. Overall there is little in it. Hamer may have a better understanding with the defenders as they have played together for more games and more recently so if Cocu feels that he is mentally okay, he might get the nod. 

Cardiff are, unfortunately, the kind of team the two keepers will struggle against. They like to get the ball into the box at any opportunity, throw ins, free kicks, corners, and get opportunities develop from there. Being indecisive or staying on your line could make things difficult for our centre backs tonight, unfortunately that’s how both of our keepers are. 

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A draw isn’t good enough for either team so imagine it to be an end to end game. 

Roos in for Hamer probably the only change, as far as I’m concerned. 

All this negative talk today about not being ready, just wanting the playoffs out the way haha what do you support Derby for? the chance to win something - who cares how it comes about. Take the chance with both hands. Nothing is guaranteed next season but we are in a position to change something right now. 

Really could have done with at least 4 points from the Forest-WBA-Brentford run of games. Feel we need maximum points from the final three games to stand a chance of finishing in the playoffs. Tough ask especially with the visit of Leeds this weekend. I reckon we'll draw tonight, lose to Leeds, and beat the Brummie's, finishing on 65 points.

Just now, desirelines said:

Really could have done with at least 4 points from the Forest-WBA-Brentford run of games. Feel we need maximum points from the final three games to stand a chance of finishing in the playoffs. Tough ask especially with the visit of Leeds this weekend. I reckon we'll draw tonight, lose to Leeds, and beat the Brummie's, finishing on 65 points.

Leeds without Kalvin Phillips for the rest of the season. Makes that game ever so slightly more winnable 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I really hope we win tonight but I do agree we are a long way way from being a Premier league side and the play-offs would be a lengthy distraction from the priority of getting next season right. 

Yes it's tricky but making the playoffs and not going up feels like it might be the worst outcome for us.

However you have to go for promotion at any chance you can because even if you don't stay up with judicious management you can be much better prepared as a club to make a better go of it. And that's before you go into if one of the young players does well in the premier league their price tag sky rockets. 

The trick is not suddenly panic and radically bring forward the timescales of your overall plan. Sure buy a bit of quality here and there but don't go nuts or panic midseason when it doesn't look like staying up is on the cards. Aim to stay up but don't sacrifice everything for it because it still might not be enough.

To be honest though at the moment I'm happy to just see where the ride takes us in these remaining games.

23 minutes ago, desirelines said:

It was always going to be a tough ask and maybe if we didn't get hit by suspensions or Wisdom being missing then maybe we pick up more than a point from those games. Who knows. We still do have a chance but you are right we need to win all 3 most likely now. It looks unlikely but I don't think it's impossible and to be honest with everything that's happened this season it's surprising to be as close as we are.

On 13/07/2020 at 13:48, Tiverton Ram said:

I think we should actually play:

Roos, Lowe, Davies, Clarke, Bogle, Shinnie, Rooney(c), Lawrence, Sibley, Knight, Martin.

Roos for Hamer for obvious reasons.

Davies for Evans as Davies is better defensively.

Shinnie for Bird to give Bird a rest.

i think Evans has played well since he's come in, can't see any reason to drop him, especially for Davies who doesn't pass as well, is slower and less agile than Evans

30 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

i think Evans has played well since he's come in, can't see any reason to drop him, especially for Davies who doesn't pass as well, is slower and less agile than Evans

I think we might be in for somewhat of an aerial bombardment tonight , personally I'd rather have Davies play in those circumstances

Archived