Live football thread.

Rev

6 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Might as well cancel Football if that's handball, or design a straightjacket kit for next season. 

No referee can honestly say that's handball, the IFAB rules that they apply are shambolic.

I felt a bit sorry for the ref. He has no choice there. Unlike previously, when all he had to do was to decide if it's deliberate or not. No reasonable person looking at that can say for certain that it was deliberate handball.

Doesn't matter any more. Moaning managers, players, fans and pundits have got the handball 'clarity' they demanded.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

I felt a bit sorry for the ref. He has no choice there. Unlike previously, when all he had to do was to decide if it's deliberate or not. No reasonable person looking at that can say for certain that it was deliberate handball.

Where's the common sense? We're trying to make football sterilised and perfect. It's not a perfect game, never has been, never will be. And that's why we like it. But it's these farcical rules that urgently need to be changed. It's spoiling games. If that's handball, then there's no point of the players turning up. They should go on strike.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Where's the common sense? We're trying to make football sterilised and perfect. It's not a perfect game, never has been, never will be. And that's why we like it. But it's these farcical rules that urgently need to be changed. It's spoiling games. If that's handball, then there's no point of the players turning up. They should go on strike.

We could have players without arms. 

they are paid vast sums. The least they can do is have their arms amputated. Put them in the freezer and sew them back on when the player retires. 

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Doesn't matter any more. Moaning managers, players, fans and pundits have got the handball 'clarity' they demanded.

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It's not the referees that decide anymore, as Andy says. 

It's a ruling passed down from on high, and woe betide the referee who doesn't apply it.

Its ruining games.

8 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I think that's the point. They don't want refs to use 'common sense' because that means you'll get different refs interpreting things for themselves and inconsistency.  Their solution to that; remove all subjectivity from the game. This means no more inconsistency and its absolutely clear to everyone why decisions go the way they do. It all sounds so plausible and sensible on paper. But when this kind of thing is put to the test in the real world it clearly shows itself to be utter b*****ks.  

There is 'harsh' and there is completely 'unfair'. What happened to Spurs there was completely unfair and there shouldn't be a place in the rules where something happening completely out of the control of the players is a 'foul'. What a nonsense this game is becoming.

Sky have just shown a replay of the Man City goal (while the game was progressing and the ball was in play) so that we could listen to what Kasper Schmeichel was saying at the time....I know that live football without fans is a bit crap, but replays so we can hear what the players are saying? Good grief......

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Sky have just shown a replay of the Man City goal (while the game was progressing and the ball was in play) so that we could listen to what Kasper Schmeichel was saying at the time....I know that live football without fans is a bit crap, but replays so we can hear what the players are saying? Good grief......

I couldn't actually make out what he was saying. It was the most underwhelming bit of 'insight' I have ever seen on Sky. And that is some going.

49 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Ask Gary and any number of pundits - “common sense” when it aligns with a popular theme for at a particular moment. It’s these guys who wanted all this VAR in the first place.

Laid at there’s, the players and managers feet this all does because they want to win at all costs and expect refs to be robots.

7DEED14F-26A3-42B2-8623-D9AC075F4F71.png

31 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Ask Gary and any number of pundits - “common sense” when it aligns with a popular theme for at a particular moment. It’s these guys who wanted all this VAR in the first place.

Laid at there’s, the players and managers feet this all does because they want to win at all costs and expect refs to be robots.

7DEED14F-26A3-42B2-8623-D9AC075F4F71.png

And yet, these Bamfords won't take any responsibility for this. They've driven demand for VAR, the laws have been changed to suit VAR and none of them will say, 'You know what, I was wrong. It was better when the referee was allowed to use his judgement, even if I didn't agree with it.'

Current and ex-players have lobbied for this by using their position to continue to grind an axe about referees. They ought to be ashamed of themselves but, conversely, it just gives them even more attention. Bamfords