Live football thread.

Rev

37 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And yet, these Bamfords won't take any responsibility for this. They've driven demand for VAR, the laws have been changed to suit VAR and none of them will say, 'You know what, I was wrong. It was better when the referee was allowed to use his judgement, even if I didn't agree with it.'

Current and ex-players have lobbied for this by using their position to continue to grind an axe about referees. They ought to be ashamed of themselves but, conversely, it just gives them even more attention. Bamfords 

That's true but the problem in the first place was that referees were making blatant inexcusable errors which also ruined games. I remember Cardiff lost to Chelsea as a result of 2 clear offside goals scored by Chelsea. This is why everyone wanted VAR so we would always get the correct decision. But it's almost as if we've gone to the complete extreme. Now linesman aren't even allowed to put their flag up. They have to wait for VAR to draw out lines over the video footage to see who's left toe is in front of the defender. It's a total joke. There is absolutely no common sense in any of these rules, or in the use of VAR.

25 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

That's true but the problem in the first place was that referees were making blatant inexcusable errors which also ruined games. I remember Cardiff lost to Chelsea as a result of 2 clear offside goals scored by Chelsea. This is why everyone wanted VAR so we would always get the correct decision. But it's almost as if we've gone to the complete extreme. Now linesman aren't even allowed to put their flag up. They have to wait for VAR to draw out lines over the video footage to see who's left toe is in front of the defender. It's a total joke. There is absolutely no common sense in any of these rules, or in the use of VAR.

There's a very significant error here. Not everyone wanted VAR.

1 hour ago, sage said:

It should be a simple 'is it deliberate'. 

I think the problem is they brought this ‘clarity of the handball rule’ in at the same time as VAR. 

without VAR, the rule needed this clarity, as it was impossible for a referee to judge if it was deliberate or not based on a split second. Most of the time he’d be guessing, or swayed by the players. 

so the rule needed this clarity, just give it for every time the ball hits the hand. It makes it a lot more clear cut for the referee, and harder to argue. 

but now we have VAR, there’s less need for this sort of black and white clarity. The ref has the advantage of looking back over the video and getting a better idea of whether or not there was intent. 

so really, the rule just needs to go back to what it was, ‘intentional hand ball’, with the referees judgement and added benefit of VAR to help determine intent. 

that gives referees back the control that they should have. They’re basically a judge on the pitch, and until VAR they only had a bunch of very biased witnesses to make a decision on, if they weren’t lucky enough to witness the incident themselves. Now VAR gives them more irrefutable evidence. But refs should be treated with the authority of a judge, they’re decision, based on all the evidence at their disposal, is final, not being overruled by the VAR. simply being assisted (I believe that’s what the A stands for after all). 

also, if the rule is based on intent, as it always was, there shouldn’t be that many penalties for hand ball at all. Footballers aren’t that stupid, attackers might try an intentional hand ball to change the flight of the ball, as the consequences aren’t that diet, but defenders will very rarely, and only in a goal saving situation, intentionally hand ball it in the box. So the sheer volume of handball penalties being given shows you that the rules are being applied far too harshly. Attackers only have to ping a ball into the area at hip height now, and hope it bounces around and hits a hand. It’s not why the rule was first invented. 

22 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I didn't.................

Interesting comments after the game with Keane vs Klopp. It’s only a tiny thing that’ll soon be forgotten about but have to say I read the situation a little differently than what I’ve seen online, because I thought Klopp showed himself up a little bit and if I’m being cynical about it I’d say that was Keanes intention (taking one from Sir Alex’s rule book)

Now if Prem managers started to realise that Klopp can be rattled and tried to upset him his side more, rather than playing into their hands, then I think they’d drop more points.