Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on example 2 of our amortisation policy, in theory, could we not by Wilson for example for say 12m on a 4year deal. Give him and ERV value of 9m then it would show on p&s at 1m per year for the first 3 years?

Abit of a gamble in terms of such a big fee and potential loss in the 4th year but I guess thats where contract extentions come in and also the gamble you take with young player purchases.

If after year 3 we gave him a 2 year extention I assume he would still have an ERV and we can pay his cost over the extra 2 years before the final year again?

I saw Duncan Watmore being released. Has anyone seen him play lately? One of those who have bright future behind...

26, left footed right winger. Scores about 1 in 3. Has some U21 caps.

I haven't seen him playing in ages, but he definitely had potential.

9 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I saw Duncan Watmore being released. Has anyone seen him play lately? One of those who have bright future behind...

26, left footed right winger. Scores about 1 in 3. Has some U21 caps.

I haven't seen him playing in ages, but he definitely had potential.

He's had injuries, so buyer beware, but he was a really good prospect at one time. 

I'd imagine he will end up at a club like Wycombe or in League One. I didn't realise he barely played last season. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

He's had injuries, so buyer beware, but he was a really good prospect at one time. 

I'd imagine he will end up at a club like Wycombe or in League One. I didn't realise he barely played last season. 

ducking injuries. I hate it when that happens.

25 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Based on example 2 of our amortisation policy, in theory, could we not by Wilson for example for say 12m on a 4year deal. Give him and ERV value of 9m then it would show on p&s at 1m per year for the first 3 years?

Abit of a gamble in terms of such a big fee and potential loss in the 4th year but I guess thats where contract extentions come in and also the gamble you take with young player purchases.

If after year 3 we gave him a 2 year extention I assume he would still have an ERV and we can pay his cost over the extra 2 years before the final year again?

He wouldn’t play in the Championship for us or anyone else.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He wouldn’t play in the Championship for us or anyone else.

In fairness, he's coming off a bad season from a relegated clubs. Liverpool want shot while his value is still decent. 

I could see a parachute payment club push the boat. At this level, he's good for goals - he still needs to develop to be a Premier League player. 

To get 'value for money' so to speak, I think it's likely that any forward players that come in would come in on loan deals. In terms of quick wingers: Patrick Roberts from Man City; Jacob Murphy from Newcastle and maybe Brandon Barker from Rangers are probably the best we could hope for (unless Cocu has some unknown European players out there that he likes the look of).

On the subject of Rangers, Jordan Jones has been told he can leave... pretty sure we've been linked with him before?

Reiss Nelson at Arsenal may see his chances limited now they've signed Willian?

Or there's the realistic out of contract options. There's the 'much mentioned by other posters' Jordon Ibe. A French winger, Jimmy Cabot, who's out of contract after a spell at Lorient (he's rapid!). Rajiv van la Parra's not got a club at the minute.

14 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

To get 'value for money' so to speak, I think it's likely that any forward players that come in would come in on loan deals. In terms of quick wingers: Patrick Roberts from Man City; Jacob Murphy from Newcastle and maybe Brandon Barker from Rangers are probably the best we could hope for (unless Cocu has some unknown European players out there that he likes the look of).

On the subject of Rangers, Jordan Jones has been told he can leave... pretty sure we've been linked with him before?

Reiss Nelson at Arsenal may see his chances limited now they've signed Willian?

Or there's the realistic out of contract options. There's the 'much mentioned by other posters' Jordon Ibe. A French winger, Jimmy Cabot, who's out of contract after a spell at Lorient (he's rapid!). Rajiv van la Parra's not got a club at the minute.

We actually scouted the PL2 well last season, I was bemused why we was linked with a player who was seemingly less productive in our own. He ended up going to WBA and playing a huge role in their promotion. 

Bizarrely, the most productive player in last season's PL2 campaign ended up joining Lincoln in January. He's not played much but already scored a couple of goals - maybe someone who will come to light in the future. 

So far we have bought 3 players in spending little if any money so far. Hopefully we get a little bit in for Bennett and maybe Jozefzoon.

Personally I think we need 2 out and out wingers, 1 attacking mid/wide man and a striker.

Out those 4 I think we could maybe get a free, 2 loans and a permanent. Plenty of decent players available this summer. For example we could get Ibe on a free, Murphy on loan, straight away they would improve our squad compared to last season but for a small initial transfer outlay.

Genuine question, would half as many people be interested in signing Ibe if he hadn't been on loan here? I even think some people rate him higher because of the way his loan ended, don't get me wrong when he was recalled he was very good for us but that was only from November / December onwards IMO. He spent the first 3-4 months continuously trying to take on one man too many and being rotated with Ward, Russell and Dawkins.

If the club were interested I'm not against it as there's certainly logic to it on and off the pitch. It's an area we need to strengthen and adds some much needed pace. He's on a free, a good age, previously been at a big club and has moved for big money in the past so if he works out and we sell him for even a quarter of what he's gone for previously it's free money against P&S. Despite all those potential positives he's never really refound the form he had in that 2-3 month spell with us in the 5 or so years since he was here. If that loan was anywhere else and with his issues off the pitch I just get the feeling people would be calling him a Nick Blackman type signing who's had one good bit of form and we should avoid signing him.

So just to clarify, for this ‘50 miles away from the heart of Rams action and barely ever ITK’ fan.......we are absolutely, definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, not getting a H. Wilson esq. walking through the sometimes revolving doors of P.P.? Someone? Please? 

Archived