Contracts Expiring in July - Opportunities and Risks

Sheikh n Bake

On 28/04/2020 at 17:47, Nick_Ram said:

Does anyone know what is likely to happen with players' contracts expiring at the end of June? I haven't seen anything confirmed. The only way I see it is that surely only contract extensions can take place if both parties agree to extend the contract until the end of the season?

I think it puts some players in strong positions and others in not so strong positions. Surely Derby can sign players from July from other clubs if their contract expires in July, it will just mean that they can't officially play for us at Senior Level until next season and they're officially registered? It will also mean I doubt they can play for their current club unless this has been mutually agreed. On the flip side, we also have a few others in this same situation who may also take up the opportunity to leave and not be available for us for the rest of the season.

Players at risk:

Chris Martin
Tom Huddlestone
Craig Forsyth
Anya (Not really a risk!)

Opportunities I'd like to see us pursue:

Jordon Ibe - We've been desperate for a winger for quite some time and he's not exactly cut it in the Premier League. Could do the job again in the Championship.
Daniel Ayala - A position that we'll certainly be in the market for... and imagine the look on Steve Gibson's face!

Interested to know if anyone has any information on this and who you'd like to see leave or join us from July on a free.

20 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Can I delete this thread? I didn't want it to turn into another Chris Martin thread... sorry all. 

See players at risk in post 1.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn’t Marriott only got a year left on his current deal? I would be looking to sell, because as others have alluded to, something is amiss.

The last time I saw him was Barnsley at home in January. The Barnsley defence gave him the keys to the city and from memory, he still missed three or four gilt-edged opportunities before finally scoring one.

Everyone in the North Stand was just left scratching their heads. This is not the Marriott the fans knew and began to love the previous season. He looked an absolute shadow of the player we had seen.

It’s no coincidence that since then he has been limited to cameos from the bench and the rarest of starts.

His confidence and swagger appears completely shot and it looks a long way back. He probably needs a fresh start.

The whole contract situation is one of the most difficult to resolve things that this mess has created in football, I can’t really see any easy solution to suit all parties. I’m sure FIFA will be working on something, but it’s difficult when you still have to fit within employment law etc. That said, I think that the advantage here is with the clubs rather than the players, so as a fan I’m not overly concerned about losing quality players before the season ends. There’s no registration window before the end of the season, so players can only feature for the club they’ve been playing for up to this point. Thus the way I see it, players will have to either sign an extension until the seasons end at their current club, or go without pay until next season. No one is gonna offer a contract to a a player who can’t feature for them yet. So I’m pretty sure anyone we want to stay until the end of the season, will stay until the end of the season at least.

The people who will be most affected by all this will be players deemed surplus to requirements at their current clubs. As things stand, you’d expect the likes of Anya to be let go at the end of June, and It won’t be possible for him to find a new club until September probably. For a players who’s been on his wages he’ll probably be ok, but for players further down the pyramid it could cause all sorts of problems. I suspect something needs to be done here, but I struggle to see what.

In terms of our out of contract players, I think I’d be renewing the deals of all the players who still have some involvement in the first team. They’re all at least decent competition for places, some more than that, and with the current financial situation, we may find it hard to replace them should we let them go. Don’t know many out of contract players that I’d like to see us buy, but I’m warming to the idea of Joe Hart given everything that’s happened. He may be worth a gamble.

6 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I love Martin and I love Marriott.

A team that includes Rooney in midfield and both Martin and Marriott up front would be lethal.

Infact I'm sure we tried it once and beat a team well, Martin getting an assist and Marriott scoring.

I'd just love to know why managers dislike Marriott. He is clearly one of thos players that doesnt like pre-season, doesnt like training, loves a beer, loves a kebab but on a Saturday knows where the net is. He would have played every game in the 80s.

Basically a modern day Franny Lee....?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I wonder if the pandemic will cause a rethink by clubs to start putting clauses into new contracts to better protect their cashflow if there was any cessation of matches in the future?

A chance to renegotiate some contracts should be a stonewall opportunity

Said the same in one of these corona related football thread's. For sure this will change at least contract clauses.

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. For what reason. You don't like him! ? His scoring rate is better than Waghorns this season when looking at minutes on the pitch. But yeah I can see why Waghorn might be considered for POTS. But he's a fairly ordinary player when you look at his record and Derby's history.

Yes it's a fair point. Waghorn is rather ordinary and certainly hasn't made the impact that was expected since he joined DCFC. 

I can see Hepburn-Murphy signing for us permanently & being in and around the first team squad next season whilst Marriott is sold.

I think the case with bringing him in to play with the u23’s is to get him suited to the first team, giving us the opportunity to see him adapt and make a decision in the summer whether we want him.

I also think Chris Martin will agree another deal....

As for Fozzy I wouldn’t say no to him staying but only if he is on a lower wage.

Bennett will most likely stay at Millwall and I wish him the best.

If we’re talking opportunities, heres my personal opinion.

Take a look at Timon Wellenreuther, 24 year old keeper for Willem.

Jake Cooper from Millwall if we are in need of another CB (Not really sure we will need another one though ? )

For right wing/mid, Jordan Ibe or Luca Paganini from Frosinone in Serie B 

Bright Osayi-Samuel from QPR’s contract runs out next year and he seems like a proper talent - I know it’s not directly linked to the thread but if his contracts running out we could try sign him on the cheap?

Anyways that’s just my ideas straight off my head , cheers

On 30/04/2020 at 08:30, RoyMac5 said:

Der. That's how I'm showing you I disagree. Which other emoji should I use?

None?

There isn’t really one to say I disagree and when you reply anyway there isn’t any need to react.

Dropping a ? comes across like you are laughing at them, which in some circumstances is fine but when giving an opinion it doesn’t really fit.

For what it’s worth Roy I know we will disagree on this and never agree, that’s fine, I have largely avoided these conversations as I know I’m in the minority.

Anyhow, hope you’re well and hopefully Martin gets the extension and proves me wrong as he’s a player now that would feel a little weird if I saw him banging them in for another club. 

We just have a clash of styles, nothing more nothing less ?

11 minutes ago, David said:

None?

There isn’t really one to say I disagree and when you reply anyway there isn’t any need to react.

Dropping a ? comes across like you are laughing at them, which in some circumstances is fine but when giving an opinion it doesn’t really fit.

For what it’s worth Roy I know we will disagree on this and never agree, that’s fine, I have largely avoided these conversations as I know I’m in the minority.

That's the point though. I don't want a big wordy argument but I do just want to say 'nah'. There's no option for that atm, the eye roll emoji disappeared so all is left is the laughing emoji. It's not meant as a personal slight (in this case! ?) but just a 'nah'.

Martin on a year extension on vastly reduced wages would work, but would he agree to that if another offer of more years arise? Can't see the building around Marriott working unless we get more creative players like mount/Wilson again

It's not worked with them, so let's sell/release and let cocu bring his players in 

If the economic situation is really as bad as it made out.

Then a good percentage of clubs may go out of business/be demoted/go part-time then there will more players 

This being the case will be vastly more players on the 'market' than clubs can employ. 

For those few 'fortunate' clubs with a bit of money, it could 'nearly' be a case of take your pick of whoever you want.  

I actually think Derby are in a relatively strong position. We haven’t relied on the loan market massively so the players are ours, therefore no need to bring new players in. We have around half a dozen academy players coming through who we can rely on and have a few high earners out of contact who will leave, freeing up if rumours are to be believed around 100k a week in wages. With that in mind we’d have a very strong, young and relatively cheap team/squad. 

39 minutes ago, enachops said:

I actually think Derby are in a relatively strong position. We haven’t relied on the loan market massively so the players are ours, therefore no need to bring new players in. We have around half a dozen academy players coming through who we can rely on and have a few high earners out of contact who will leave, freeing up if rumours are to be believed around 100k a week in wages. With that in mind we’d have a very strong, young and relatively cheap team/squad. 

Just the first choice goalkeeper & centre back on loan ?‍♂️ I get what you're saying though not at reliant like last season. I think if the season does resume there could be some interesting results, who has stayed the fittest & who's loans return etc

On 29/04/2020 at 23:14, David said:

Why has it got to be a ?

Can we not just disagree?

Football is a game where many different players and styles can win a game, there is no blueprint for all teams to follow.

I appreciate Martin, 13/14 he was pivotal to our success, without him we would have been nothing. The podcast by @Steve Bloomer's Washing McClaren spoke of his importance. 

For me, we have moved on, past is the past, Martin is no longer in his prime, I do not believe he is a player Cocu should be building his team around.

I will never say a bad word against him, likewise with Bryson, but you reach the point where you need to build for the future.

Klopp has said similar with Liverpool, they tore the Premier League a new one this season and rightly deserve the Premier League but he has admitted he needs to build a new team for the future. 

I look at Jack Marriott, and I see a striker we can build the next Derby County team around, I see a striker that we can have a few years of success with him leading the line. 

As a fan I’m always looking forward, not back and that’s how I feel with Martin, we are trying to replicate what has been and gone and I don’t believe it’s possible. A younger Martin maybe, but not now. 

I live football, with all the vary opinions, Martin has been great for us, and yes I would give him a new 1 year contract, would he be my main striker not all of the time no, but he can do a job, would I build a team around Marriott not a chance he has had a poor season, also managers like Lampard and Cocu do not rate him, hope we can get some money back on Marriott and sign a up coming hungry number 9 for next season, that's my opinion on the matter. 

Archived