Contracts Expiring in July - Opportunities and Risks

Sheikh n Bake

I would completely understand the calls to get rid of Martin if he had played this season and struggled.

But he has contributed to 17 goals in all competitions, been at the heart of everything we have done well this year, and he really should be the outstanding candidate for Player of the Year.

Where is the logic in letting arguably our best and most influential player go? He scores goals, he creates goals, he helps the team tick and play in an attractive style.

We have given Curtis Davies a one-year-extension at 35 for merely being a leader and a good influence off the pitch, and we have moved heaven and earth to build the team around (almost) 35-year-old Wayne Rooney.

Yet it’s time to say goodbye to Martin - at 31 going on 32 - who has clearly shown he is still very much a top player at this level?

You could argue we’d be better off with a more mobile and more athletic forward. That’s a fair assessment. The most successful teams in the division usually have pace in key areas.

But is Marriott really the answer? He struggles with injuries and his fitness. We usually struggle to move him from the treatment table. If it’s not that, then he’s stuck in the bunker on Hole 14.

If we are going to get rid of Martin, we might as well start from scratch and build a new strike force entirely.

If Martin is deemed not good enough, then how can Marriott and Waghorn be?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, enachops said:

What evidence have you seen from Marriott this season that suggests you can build a team around him?? He’s a good poacher type forward, runs off the last man type player. No way you can build a team around him. Too unreliable. 

I have zero evidence, it’s a complete gut feeling that I can’t back up with stats or anything other than watching him and thinking, this guy has it. 

I understand and completely accept I have nothing to sway anyone’s opinion.

I’m in a very small minority with this and that’s fine. 

I think Marriott is the best natural finisher that we've had since Saunders and Davison. However, there's something not right, whether it's fitness, attitude or simply the systems we play but there's a reason, first, Lampard and, now, Cocu do not play him so often.

I do like Martin a lot. I think he's pivotal to the way we do play. Health aside - and only he and the club will know the extent of that - I think he's got more than a season at this level in him.

I'd love to see the two of them together up front but I'm not sure how we'd do that in the system we seemed to settle on before the "break".

14 minutes ago, David said:

I have zero evidence, it’s a complete gut feeling that I can’t back up with stats or anything other than watching him and thinking, this guy has it. 

I understand and completely accept I have nothing to sway anyone’s opinion.

I’m in a very small minority with this and that’s fine. 

3 in 3 against premier league sides. 3 in 2 in the playoffs . He is the best striker we have if he isn't snatching at the one chance he had a match earlier in the season.  Injuries and lack of chances have been an issue this season .  If we can move the ball quicker from midfield like we started doing in the last 5 or 6 games before the lockdown he will get 20 plus in this league every year. I don't think you can build a team round any player, if you do it's a recipe for disaster.

A lot of people believe the McClaren side in 2014 was built around Martin.  Not really, as we had the much maligned Sammon to effect close games late on who created loads of space with his willingness to pull defenders out of position.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Don't even think I'd give him the credit of being a good poacher type. He is a distinctly average Championship striker who's never fit and doesn't offer anything other than goals. I hate the thought of us building around him, even if he could manage to remain fit.

A striker who offers nothing but goals. That'll do for me.

40 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A lot of people believe the McClaren side in 2014 was built around Martin. 

It absolutely and unequivocally was. He was the beating heart of that team. How did we do with Mac after Martin got injured. Sure, he might not be the best athlete, but he's hands down the best footballer we have in our strike force. Anyone can do the running part, Martin has the best footballing brain in the league which is why he combines well with just about any player you put next to him. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A striker who offers nothing but goals. That'll do for me.

Martin has as many Championship goals in this season as Marriott has in the last two. That ruthless natural finisher everyone likes to go on about doesn't actually exist. It's a myth. His finishing is actually much much worse than Martin, statistically. And let's not skip over the fact he doesn't actually offer anything outside of the few goals he does manage to score. Marriott is a myth people keep pushing because of the Leeds game and the modern obsession with pace over talent.

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Martin has as many Championship goals in this season as Marriott has in the last two. That ruthless natural finisher everyone likes to go on about doesn't actually exist. It's a myth. His finishing is actually much much worse than Martin, statistically. And let's not skip over the fact he doesn't actually offer anything outside of the few goals he does manage to score. Marriott is a myth people keep pushing because of the Leeds game and the modern obsession with pace over talent.

Martin certainly has his attributes, but we've had better.  But how many goals did he get last year. In the last two Marriott has more goals. Martins stats aren't great for the last 3 years . 17/18 -35 games 1 goal 18/19 31 games 2 goals 19/20 26 games 9 goals which is an improvement, but not enough to shift you from midtable. .  Sturridge and Gee did ok with pace.  They needed players around them who could adapt to there strengths . If anything, perhaps Martins inability to change his modus operandi to suit a change in formation from time to time is showing his limitation.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A lot of people believe the McClaren side in 2014 was built around Martin.  Not really, as we had the much maligned Sammon to effect close games late on who created loads of space with his willingness to pull defenders out of position.

Comedy gold! Much like Sammon

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Martin certainly has his attributes, but we've had better.  But how many goals did he get last year. In the last two Marriott has more goals. Martins stats aren't great for the last 3 years . 17/18 -35 games 1 goal 18/19 31 games 2 goals 19/20 26 games 9 goals which is an improvement, but not enough to shift you from midtable. .  Sturridge and Gee did ok with pace.  They needed players around them who could adapt to there strengths . If anything, perhaps Martins inability to change his modus operandi to suit a change in formation from time to time is showing his limitation.

Martin does well in footballing sides with players who pass to his feet rather than lob the ball over his head. He's been in some unfortunate teams, plus had to deal with an illness in that period. Martin, if played a full season, still easily gets 15-20 goals in the form he's been in this season. And he gets bags of assists. Sure, he's limited by formation. But he's a brilliant player in the right formation. Marriott hasn't ever done it in the Championship. He's had an absolute shocker of a season, and in my book, should be sold in the summer if we can get money for him.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Martin does well in footballing sides with players who pass to his feet rather than lob the ball over his head. He's been in some unfortunate teams, plus had to deal with an illness in that period. Martin, if played a full season, still easily gets 15-20 goals in the form he's been in this season. And he gets bags of assists. Sure, he's limited by formation. But he's a brilliant player in the right formation. Marriott hasn't ever done it in the Championship. He's had an absolute shocker of a season, and in my book, should be sold in the summer if we can get money for him.

You could say Marriotts played in an unfortunate team this season .  Sell him to a team with the tools to use him he gets 20-25 goals no question for me. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You could say Marriotts played in an unfortunate team this season .  Sell him to a team with the tools to use him he gets 20-25 goals no question for me. 

I don't think so. Marriott has actually missed quite a lot of big chances himself. And he himself is never fit for selection. We play a style which should suit Marriott well enough, but he can't keep fit and when he plays he can't finish his chances. 

Just now, Andicis said:

I don't think so. Marriott has actually missed quite a lot of big chances himself. And he himself is never fit for selection. We play a style which should suit Marriott well enough, but he can't keep fit and when he plays he can't finish his chances. 

We don't . Marriott is better suited to team with wingers, Not playing on the shoulder of a defender and fighting for a ball with a bloke who's 6"3.  I did hear Bristol City were keen in January.  Perfect for them he'd get a load.

11 hours ago, David said:

Would like to see Forsyth given a new deal, maybe 2 years. The injuries he’s had and to still come back and be one of our best left backs speaks volumes. With him and Lowe we have LB covered and could look to offload Malone.

I’m not sold on Martin and I know I put myself at risk of the Martin mafia saying this but I just prefer more mobile forwards as well as he has done since coming back.

(I’m not a fan of Berbatov style forwards)

If Martin gets a new deal great, I wouldn’t be upset by that at all. Not a legend but he’s definitely earned cult hero status, I’m just not sure Cocu is the man to be able to build a system around him.

I would also like to see Bennett given a new deal, the lad has had a lot of injury problems but I see him as an option off the bench to cover several positions and potentially has value in him.

Huddlestone, too slow, too immobile and with Rooney he’s surplus to requirements. What with Bird and Bieliek it doesn’t seem worth extended his contract.

Nice example how to nudge athreat to become Chris Martin one! Pro stuff, love it!

image.png.99c20899e50a590ee03ad4fdc4962667.png

Martin might not want to sign a new contract and feel it's time to move on, some other Championship club may well be in the position to offer a better contract. I certainly couldn't see him signing a new contract for less than he is on now but the question is could we afford it

I love Martin and I love Marriott.

A team that includes Rooney in midfield and both Martin and Marriott up front would be lethal.

Infact I'm sure we tried it once and beat a team well, Martin getting an assist and Marriott scoring.

I'd just love to know why managers dislike Marriott. He is clearly one of thos players that doesnt like pre-season, doesnt like training, loves a beer, loves a kebab but on a Saturday knows where the net is. He would have played every game in the 80s.

25 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Martin might not want to sign a new contract and feel it's time to move on, some other Championship club may well be in the position to offer a better contract. I certainly couldn't see him signing a new contract for less than he is on now but the question is could we afford it

I think the exact opposite is true. Martin will be desperate to stay at Derby. He is settled here, he performs at his very best here. The loans that he has had proved he struggles at other clubs playing other systems. There is no chance he’ll get the contract he is on wherever he goes, he’ll have to take a big hit. But if Derby can afford it, he’ll stay. 

Archived