Contracts Expiring in July - Opportunities and Risks

Sheikh n Bake

Does anyone know what is likely to happen with players' contracts expiring at the end of June? I haven't seen anything confirmed. The only way I see it is that surely only contract extensions can take place if both parties agree to extend the contract until the end of the season?

I think it puts some players in strong positions and others in not so strong positions. Surely Derby can sign players from July from other clubs if their contract expires in July, it will just mean that they can't officially play for us at Senior Level until next season and they're officially registered? It will also mean I doubt they can play for their current club unless this has been mutually agreed. On the flip side, we also have a few others in this same situation who may also take up the opportunity to leave and not be available for us for the rest of the season.

Players at risk:

Chris Martin
Tom Huddlestone
Craig Forsyth
Anya (Not really a risk!)

Opportunities I'd like to see us pursue:

Jordon Ibe - We've been desperate for a winger for quite some time and he's not exactly cut it in the Premier League. Could do the job again in the Championship.
Daniel Ayala - A position that we'll certainly be in the market for... and imagine the look on Steve Gibson's face!

Interested to know if anyone has any information on this and who you'd like to see leave or join us from July on a free.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m fascinated by the idea of this. Because surely come July 1st, these players that haven’t signed pre contract deals are, on the whole, free agents. 
And it’s my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) that free agents can be signed at any point of the season and registered to play. 
If that was the case, could we get any in for the run in? Maybe. 

but it would also work against us, if somebody offer Chris Martin a two year deal, and we offer him a measly couple of months - you couldn’t begrudge him the move. 

Going to be an interesting restart to the season, but health has to be the first priority. 

34 minutes ago, HariboWest said:

I’m fascinated by the idea of this. Because surely come July 1st, these players that haven’t signed pre contract deals are, on the whole, free agents. 
And it’s my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) that free agents can be signed at any point of the season and registered to play. 
If that was the case, could we get any in for the run in? Maybe. 

but it would also work against us, if somebody offer Chris Martin a two year deal, and we offer him a measly couple of months - you couldn’t begrudge him the move. 

Going to be an interesting restart to the season, but health has to be the first priority. 

My understanding is that we can sign them, but they wouldn't be able to play as they were registered to play for another team in Feb... it's why you see a few players mutually cancelling their contracts on transfer deadline.

You can only sign in transfer windows.

I'd guess the windows will change to suit the situation, but I don't see how you retrospectively change the next window without legal challenges from players whose contracts have expired, let go and find themselves new clubs, restraint of trade comes to mind.

Similarly, you get to the end of June when players should be released, offer some short term extensions and let others go, would the released players have a legal case?

Will players sign contracts month to month, when a better deal could be obtained elsewhere?

I can see a lawyer's field day coming, and no easy resolution.

2 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Does anyone know what is likely to happen with players' contracts expiring at the end of June? I haven't seen anything confirmed. The only way I see it is that surely only contract extensions can take place if both parties agree to extend the contract until the end of the season?

I think it puts some players in strong positions and others in not so strong positions. Surely Derby can sign players from July from other clubs if their contract expires in July, it will just mean that they can't officially play for us at Senior Level until next season and they're officially registered? It will also mean I doubt they can play for their current club unless this has been mutually agreed. On the flip side, we also have a few others in this same situation who may also take up the opportunity to leave and not be available for us for the rest of the season.

Players at risk:

Chris Martin
Tom Huddlestone
Craig Forsyth
Anya (Not really a risk!)

Opportunities I'd like to see us pursue:

Jordon Ibe - We've been desperate for a winger for quite some time and he's not exactly cut it in the Premier League. Could do the job again in the Championship.
Daniel Ayala - A position that we'll certainly be in the market for... and imagine the look on Steve Gibson's face!

Interested to know if anyone has any information on this and who you'd like to see leave or join us from July on a free.

Shoot me know if we were to sign Ayala. I can;t really explain why but I really don't like or rate him.

Surely if your contract is up in June then its up ?‍♂️ your options as a player are to find another club or sign a new deal 

For some players you'd be unlikely to find another club unless you are a prospect & going to a club that can afford to take a gamble & sign a player that's not going to play until the new season (whenever that may be). Surely your likely to be a free agent until the new season starts & a club complete the season without those players (if the season is to be completed) 

The problem is that its all ifs and buts & nobody knows what's happening with this season or the next. 

It would be good if all players in the league with expiring contracts could have a separate contracts put in place when the current one expires. A month to month rolling contract that expires when the season ends. This way they can see out the season with their current employer & leave if they want after the season. Although You'd presume for the likes of Anya we'd be happy to let go in June and if we're to finish the season finish it without him so be it. Also players we'd want to keep surely we'd extend their contracts anyway 

It's a difficult one. If I was a player I'd be wanting to get a years extension even on reduced terms so that I have an income. 

If I was the club I'd be happy to let players go if it meant reducing outgoings. 

I'm sure the club and players are talking to work it out. Be nice if they knocked this season on the head with a view to starting next season later in the year so everyone can plan 

Given the current financial climate I would be surprised to see that we are offering any new contracts or signing any new players. 

Possible exceptions are Martin and Forsyth but Mel may be looking to save around £10 million on expiring deals. 

I heard that Bennett had been offered a new contract prior to going on loan - no idea if he signed it - regarding the others it would make sense to offer Forsyth and Martin new deals on much lower wages but would they sign them is difficult to know especially in the new world of football finance 

Would like to see Forsyth given a new deal, maybe 2 years. The injuries he’s had and to still come back and be one of our best left backs speaks volumes. With him and Lowe we have LB covered and could look to offload Malone.

I’m not sold on Martin and I know I put myself at risk of the Martin mafia saying this but I just prefer more mobile forwards as well as he has done since coming back.

(I’m not a fan of Berbatov style forwards)

If Martin gets a new deal great, I wouldn’t be upset by that at all. Not a legend but he’s definitely earned cult hero status, I’m just not sure Cocu is the man to be able to build a system around him.

I would also like to see Bennett given a new deal, the lad has had a lot of injury problems but I see him as an option off the bench to cover several positions and potentially has value in him.

Huddlestone, too slow, too immobile and with Rooney he’s surplus to requirements. What with Bird and Bieliek it doesn’t seem worth extended his contract.

I honestly think it'd be a huge mistake to not offer Martin a new contract. Not only would you then have to find a way to replace his double figure goal tally, but we would lose the only striker that offers us something different. With Marriott unable to keep fit, we'd have to rely on Waghorn only and youth team players. All of our best performances have come with him in the team. 

I'm indifferent on whether the rest get a new contract, but we've proven over the years we're incapable of signing a striker at this level even close to Martin in terms of ability. 

35 minutes ago, David said:

Would like to see Forsyth given a new deal, maybe 2 years. The injuries he’s had and to still come back and be one of our best left backs speaks volumes. With him and Lowe we have LB covered and could look to offload Malone.

I’m not sold on Martin and I know I put myself at risk of the Martin mafia saying this but I just prefer more mobile forwards as well as he has done since coming back.

images.jpeg-55.jpg.576a6f35013d0ac5825520a11ec85951.jpg

1 hour ago, David said:

If Martin gets a new deal great, I wouldn’t be upset by that at all. Not a legend but he’s definitely earned cult hero status,

Of course he is a legend in DCFC's history - take your blinkers off and look at his record for the club - where he is in the scoring record for a start!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course he is a legend in DCFC's history - take your blinkers off and look at his record for the club - where he is in the scoring record for a start!

No blinkers, just a different opinion that’s all Roy. Recently read an article in the Athletic which names Waghorn player of the season, I’m sure you would disagree with that. I do as well for what it’s worth. I just think it’s time to say goodbye and you and others may disagree with that and I’m fine with that, it’s just my opinion that’s all, luckily I have no say in these matters ?

6 minutes ago, David said:

I just think it’s time to say goodbye and you and others may disagree with that and I’m fine with that, it’s just my opinion that’s all, luckily I have no say in these matters ?

Lol. For what reason. You don't like him! ? His scoring rate is better than Waghorns this season when looking at minutes on the pitch. But yeah I can see why Waghorn might be considered for POTS. But he's a fairly ordinary player when you look at his record and Derby's history.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. For what reason. You don't like him! ? His scoring rate is better than Waghorns this season when looking at minutes on the pitch. But yeah I can see why Waghorn might be considered for POTS. But he's a fairly ordinary player when you look at his record and Derby's history.

Why has it got to be a ?

Can we not just disagree?

Football is a game where many different players and styles can win a game, there is no blueprint for all teams to follow.

I appreciate Martin, 13/14 he was pivotal to our success, without him we would have been nothing. The podcast by @Steve Bloomer's Washing McClaren spoke of his importance. 

For me, we have moved on, past is the past, Martin is no longer in his prime, I do not believe he is a player Cocu should be building his team around.

I will never say a bad word against him, likewise with Bryson, but you reach the point where you need to build for the future.

Klopp has said similar with Liverpool, they tore the Premier League a new one this season and rightly deserve the Premier League but he has admitted he needs to build a new team for the future. 

I look at Jack Marriott, and I see a striker we can build the next Derby County team around, I see a striker that we can have a few years of success with him leading the line. 

As a fan I’m always looking forward, not back and that’s how I feel with Martin, we are trying to replicate what has been and gone and I don’t believe it’s possible. A younger Martin maybe, but not now. 

12 minutes ago, David said:

Why has it got to be a ?

Can we not just disagree?

Football is a game where many different players and styles can win a game, there is no blueprint for all teams to follow.

I appreciate Martin, 13/14 he was pivotal to our success, without him we would have been nothing. The podcast by @Steve Bloomer's Washing McClaren spoke of his importance. 

For me, we have moved on, past is the past, Martin is no longer in his prime, I do not believe he is a player Cocu should be building his team around.

I will never say a bad word against him, likewise with Bryson, but you reach the point where you need to build for the future.

Klopp has said similar with Liverpool, they tore the Premier League a new one this season and rightly deserve the Premier League but he has admitted he needs to build a new team for the future. 

I look at Jack Marriott, and I see a striker we can build the next Derby County team around, I see a striker that we can have a few years of success with him leading the line. 

As a fan I’m always looking forward, not back and that’s how I feel with Martin, we are trying to replicate what has been and gone and I don’t believe it’s possible. A younger Martin maybe, but not now. 

When Marriott is fit and firing on all cylinders he's one of the best strikers in the league, but with his injury record I would be very surprised, and maybe a little worried, if Cocu made him someone to build his team around. Personally, I would rather build the team around Martin whilst looking for his replacement. Surely there is a player out there with similar qualities, but younger and faster?

24 minutes ago, David said:

What evidence have you seen from Marriott this season that suggests you can build a team around him?? He’s a good poacher type forward, runs off the last man type player. No way you can build a team around him. Too unreliable. 

12 minutes ago, enachops said:

What evidence have you seen from Marriott this season that suggests you can build a team around him?? He’s a good poacher type forward, runs off the last man type player. No way you can build a team around him. Too unreliable. 

Don't even think I'd give him the credit of being a good poacher type. He is a distinctly average Championship striker who's never fit and doesn't offer anything other than goals. I hate the thought of us building around him, even if he could manage to remain fit.

Archived