v Blackburn Rovers (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Back to the first choice starting 11, though a couple of changes obviously, we don’t do consistent teams here at Derby?. For me, assuming Lawrence and Wisdom remain out:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bird Rooney

Knight Sibley Whittaker

Marriott

Hamer back in as number one. Frankly choosing between him and Roos is like choosing between a flight to China or Italy, but he’s done nothing to lose his shirt recently. Obviously need to restore some proper centre backs, both Evans and Forsyth aren’t remotely capable in that role. If Wisdom is out, then there’s little choice but to have Davies and Clarke in there. This means imo that we need Lowe at LB, despite the fact he was pretty poor in possession the other night. Putting Forsyth there would make us too slow, and leave us without an outlet to carry the ball out of defence. In midfield, Bird has obviously played a lot of football so a rest may well do him good, but I don’t see any options there that can do what he can do, so he’ll have to stay in. Ditto with Knight, it won’t be easy to play three games in a week after his efforts the other night, but we’re really short on wide options. Whittaker will obviously have to come in for Lawrence if he’s out, leaving us with no one else really available In the wide areas. Sibley I’m still not 100% sure on whether he’s ready yet or not, but I don’t see many options for that No.10 role, so it might be interesting to give him his first league start and see how he does. Would give us the best indication of where he is, far more than the odd cup appearance. While we’re experimenting a little, we may as well give Marriott one last chance up front to prove himself as a capable player for our squad next season. Waghorn and Martin have already shown their qualities, but Jack still has a lot to prove if he’s to stay here long term imo.

Tough game to call really. Blackburn are one of those really inconsistent teams, they’ve had some really strong results, with the odd poor one in between. So who knows what could happen. Given we’re at home though, like most games at PP, we’ve really gotta be getting all 3 points if we want to show we’re making good progress. Really need to make sure we’re awake defensively if we’re gonna do so though, particularly the full backs, as it’s getting beyond a joke how many goals were conceding from crosses this season. We’ve got to do a better job at stopping the wide threat. They’ve got some good quality players in midfield too, so Rooney and Bird need to make sure they’re onto them quickly and don’t give them too much space, as well as making sure their positioning is good enough to stop us being cut open. Going forward, I just hope we take confidence from the Sheff Weds game and go out there and play our natural game - the patient, passing game - rather than panicking and resorting to hit and hope like first half on Thursday. Hopefully with a proper defence restored, we will be more capable of playing that proper style of football.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Back to the first choice starting 11, though a couple of changes obviously, we don’t do consistent teams here at Derby?. For me, assuming Lawrence and Wisdom remain out:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bird Rooney

Knight Sibley Whittaker

Marriott

Hamer back in as number one. Frankly choosing between him and Roos is like choosing between a flight to China or Italy, but he’s done nothing to lose his shirt recently. Obviously need to restore some proper centre backs, both Evans and Forsyth aren’t remotely capable in that role. If Wisdom is out, then there’s little choice but to have Davies and Clarke in there. This means imo that we need Lowe at LB, despite the fact he was pretty poor in possession the other night. Putting Forsyth there would make us too slow, and leave us without an outlet to carry the ball out of defence. In midfield, Bird has obviously played a lot of football so a rest may well do him good, but I don’t see any options there that can do what he can do, so he’ll have to stay in. Ditto with Knight, it won’t be easy to play three games in a week after his efforts the other night, but we’re really short on wide options. Whittaker will obviously have to come in for Lawrence if he’s out, leaving us with no one else really available In the wide areas. Sibley I’m still not 100% sure on whether he’s ready yet or not, but I don’t see many options for that No.10 role, so it might be interesting to give him his first league start and see how he does. Would give us the best indication of where he is, far more than the odd cup appearance. While we’re experimenting a little, we may as well give Marriott one last chance up front to prove himself as a capable player for our squad next season. Waghorn and Martin have already shown their qualities, but Jack still has a lot to prove if he’s to stay here long term imo.

Tough game to call really. Blackburn are one of those really inconsistent teams, they’ve had some really strong results, with the odd poor one in between. So who knows what could happen. Given we’re at home though, like most games at PP, we’ve really gotta be getting all 3 points if we want to show we’re making good progress. Really need to make sure we’re awake defensively if we’re gonna do so though, particularly the full backs, as it’s getting beyond a joke how many goals were conceding from crosses this season. We’ve got to do a better job at stopping the wide threat. They’ve got some good quality players in midfield too, so Rooney and Bird need to make sure they’re onto them quickly and don’t give them too much space, as well as making sure their positioning is good enough to stop us being cut open. Going forward, I just hope we take confidence from the Sheff Weds game and go out there and play our natural game - the patient, passing game - rather than panicking and resorting to hit and hope like first half on Thursday. Hopefully with a proper defence restored, we will be more capable of playing that proper style of football.

So for the second game in a row you don't want us to put out our strongest starting 11?

One or both of Waghorn and Martin have to start - and they will!

5 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

So for the second game in a row you don't want us to put out our strongest starting 11?

Waghorn,Martin will play.

Evans played well the other night and better coming out with the ball.

Your selections not good enough big game for the Rams.

Roos

Bogle Evans Clarke Lowe

Bird Shinnie

Knight Rooney Waghorn 

Martin 

Roos over Hamer for me,  play Evans to see if he is up to the job there. Rooney needs to play futher forward to create chances. Sibley to come in if Knight isn't pushing forward enough. Has to be positive intentions today, 1 point is neither here nor there. 

23 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I like this one. But I'd swap Lowe to Forsyth as it would give us better balance. I'm not gonna get into conversation which one is better but our team is simply too small and Forsyth offers us bit of heading ability which we are gonna need against Blackburn. Clarke, Martin, Waggy are not afraid of heading the ball, but the rest? Football is numbers game and three players who are good in air is simply not enough.

They have changed their game to way more direct than before, long-term injuries to Dack and Holtby forced them to. Their striker, Armstrong, has been on fire lately. Absolutely menace to play against as he is so direct and fast, bit like Vardy.

I like their team, how it's build and their manager and his demand levels as well. As I have bit of a mancrush to Dack I've been following them more than I maybe should.... Dack, Lenihan, Travis and now on-loan Walton are definitely the players I'd like to see in Derby shirt. Lenihan and Walton would solve our CB and goalkeeper problems straight away.

Dack is a great footballer but a dirty little so-and-so. It’s a no from me ‘cos I don’t dirty, nasty players at Derby.

Presuming Lawrence is fit, I’d like to see Roos, Bogle, Wisdom, Clarke, Lowe, Bird, Rooney, Lawrence, Knight, Waghorn, Martin. 

Wouldn’t have an issue with having another look at Evans but another game so soon might be a bit much. 

Don’t really want to see Waghorn up front alone again. So Martin or Marriott only choices for me. 

Rooney has to remain in defensive midfield. Lack of legs, his partnership with Bird and his calmness/vision is essential in there. 

If Lawrence can’t go, then I’d keep Sibley in there with Knight and Waghorn wide. 

Positive intent today. The pressure is all on Blackburn so let’s swarm all over them. Play with the same intensity that we showed against Charlton or Preston or Stoke or Boro and we’ll win.

And.... if we take three points? It’s on. Season over my Harris.

And, and, and... if we finally win at Wembley in May? This team will become legendary. Hollywood couldn’t script it better!

COYR ???

15 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Positive intent today. The pressure is all on Blackburn so let’s swarm all over them. Play with the same intensity that we showed against Charlton or Preston or Stoke or Boro and we’ll win.

And.... if we take three points? It’s on. Season over my Harris.

And, and, and... if we finally win at Wembley in May? This team will become legendary. Hollywood couldn’t script it better!

COYR ???

This is me on the morning of every match day ........ c’mon we can do this ...... let’s smash them today ........ it isn’t over till it’s over ........... etc etc etc ......... then I generally come back down to earth about 8 hours later!!!!!! Oh the life of a football fan ...... 57 later this year will I ever learn!! ??? ...... ? COYR ? ... see there I go again!!! ???

Hamer 

Bogle    Wisdom  Clarke  Fozzy 

Bird            Rooney 

Waghorn.   Sibley    Knight 

Martin 

Apart from Lawrence and Holmes that's the strongest team we could put out this season. Martin is integral to the way we play and anyone suggesting Marriott over Waghorn needs checking. 

Good time in the season for Sibley to make his mark too. 

3 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Hamer 

Bird            Rooney 

Martin 

Apart from Lawrence and Holmes that's the strongest team we could put out this season. Martin is integral to the way we play and anyone suggesting Marriott over Waghorn needs checking. 

That's the team I would go with, if Wisdom is fit then he plays, if Lawrence is fit then he comes in, just got up, looking forward to this game now, we never beat Blackburn, but today is the day that we change all that, and get a 2-0 win, Rooney to score from a free kick today, and Martin the other, COYR. 

8 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

I’d rather Martin start, but Cocu always seems to throw some sort of a curveball. In fairness, sometimes it works. I get the feeling he might go with Marriott to give him his chance at home. I don’t think he rates him especially, but managers have to give players chances to justify their opinion of them/ give them a chance to prove them wrong.

Our FB selection will be interesting, the cup game showed we can’t really play Bogle and Lowe without the CB’s being overrun. As someone on here said they play as defensive wingers more than full backs. 

Personally I would always be looking at one of Fozzy or Wisdom to add some defensive solidity on the other side if you’re putting Bogle or Lowe in.

I'm feeling a big win today ! 

My team would be :

Roos

Bogle.          Wisdom.      Clarke.    Forsyth

Bird.                  Rooney 

Waghorn.          Sibely.              Knight

Martin 

2 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Hamer 

Bird            Rooney 

Martin 

Good selection but would prefer Hamer to stand in the middle of the goal.?

Hamer - Bogle Wisdom Clarke Lowe - Bird Rooney - Waghorn Sibley Lawrence - Martin

Roos Davies Evans Shinnie Knight Jozefzoon Marriott 

Thats if everyone is fit. Doubts appear to be over Wisdom & Lawrence. If not then I would go with Evans for Wisdom & Knight for Lawrence.

Archived