Coronavirus

1of4

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If something's that important or critical in this case can you really leave it to people's discretion or goodwill to ensure that the right outcome occurs?

He asked us.  We failed.  Now he's telling us.

Had he have told us on Saturday, would you say "why not Friday"?  Had he have told us last week, would you not say "Why not the week before".  Where does it end... or rather, when should it have started!

He may well have been wrong to trust us (in hindsight), but at least he gave us the chance.  It is us... the public as a whole... that made the wrong decisions.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Coolascustard said:

It would appear not, which is a shame.  You’’d hope that everyone would get, avoid crowds and heed the advice.  As is often the case, the actions of a few spoil it for many.

Going by some of the pictures. It was more of the many spoiling it for the few.

We haven't gone out in days and we were all feeling a bit gloomy, ya know, so i thought hey why don't we watch one of the hundred movies we have on DVD.  There was one there i seem to remember was a good film but didn't remember much of it, so the three of us sat down and watched it.

Bad choice.  It was 12 Monkeys. 

Oh they're fine, it's me that's terrified.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

He asked us.  We failed.  Now he's telling us.

Had he have told us on Saturday, would you say "why not Friday"?  Had he have told us last week, would you not say "Why not the week before".  Where does it end... or rather, when should it have started!

He may well have been wrong to trust us (in hindsight), but at least he gave us the chance.  It is us... the public as a whole... that made the wrong decisions.

Boris is leading the country so he needs to apply governance whether it be popular or unpopular decisions

The alarm bells should have been ringing for him a week ago when he saw that a certain percentage of people were unable or unwilling to behave in an appropriate manner themselves by not hoarding food unnecessarily.

That to me would have said that a certain amount of the populous cannot be left to their own devices and be allowed to decide themselves what is acceptable and what is not.

39 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I find the timing of this announcement totally weird...the day after Mother's Day when half the country were round their relatives houses in group family gatherings which was OK yesterday but not OK today....not like Boris was unaware of this annual event 

To anyone with a modicum of common sense then yesterday it definitely wouldn't have been ok to have gone within 2 metres of another person not part of the same household. The level of stupidity of albeit a small minority of our population is mind-boggling.

The new measures should have been introduced at least a week ago.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

To anyone with a modicum of common sense then yesterday it definitely wouldn't have been ok to have gone within 2 metres of another person not part of the same household. The level of stupidity of albeit a small minority of our population is mind-boggling.

Totally agree.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Boris is leading the country so he needs to apply governance whether it be popular or unpopular decisions

The alarm bells should have been ringing for him a week ago when he saw that a certain percentage of people were unable or unwilling to behave in an appropriate manner themselves by not hoarding food unnecessarily.

That to me would have said that a certain amount of the populous cannot be left to their own devices and be allowed to decide themselves what is acceptable and what is not.

It's hard to argue with you.  Today, you say he was too late.  A week ago, some would have said he was too early.  This is perfect for nobody, and never could be.

Anyway... It's been over 90 mins now... And she's doing my bloody head in!  ?

I'm in the 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' crowd.  BJ has given people the chance to self moderate, which to be fair a lot have, but has now bought in tougher restrictions as some people are continuing to carry on as normal despite numerous warnings such as avoiding your parents on Mothering Sunday and the reports from places such as Italy etc. 

If people continue to go about as normal after the latest measures I'd forcibly inject the buggers with CV and plaster these posters all over the place!

ET0Lu6gX0AAc089.jpg

Just now, maxjam said:

I'm in the 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' crowd.  BJ has given people the chance to self moderate, which to be fair a lot have, but has now bought in tougher restrictions as some people are continuing to carry on as normal despite numerous warnings such as avoiding your parents on Mothering Sunday and the reports from places such as Italy etc. 

If people continue to go about as normal after the latest measures I'd forcibly inject the buggers with CV and plaster these posters all over the place!

ET0Lu6gX0AAc089.jpg

The sad thing is though that the Tube in London will still be packed tomorrow morning and there still will be the stampede of panic buying at Tesco's 

21 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

It was well publicised yesterday that the best gift you could give your Mum is to stay away.

31 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Apologies if I am being absolutely dense, but SARS was at least as lethal as covid-19 and happened in our era of globalization and mass travel. 

Yet our response this time is completely different. 

Why is covid-19 so different?

Because this 50x more infectious 

30 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Apologies if I am being absolutely dense, but SARS was at least as lethal as covid-19 and happened in our era of globalization and mass travel. 

I think the containment of SARS was much more effective. More info via The Lancet here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30129-8/fulltext 

32 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Some estimates say Covid is 10 times less deadly (1% vs 10%). However, Covid spread much more readily. After 1 month, 5 died from SARS, whereas over 200 died from Covid. After 8 months of SARS there were 7500 infected. 8 weeks of Covid resulted in more than 75,000 infected. 

As SARS had a shorter incubation period and wasn’t spread as easily, it was easier to restrict the outbreak from being too serious. 

Having witnessed a significant disregard for the existing advice even today, I think the new measures are absolutely necessary. Directors and managers have been very slow to understand the gravity of the situation, and slow to show that strategic leadership that they all think they possess. The public are still in denial.

Based on the number of fatalities I suspect that the number of infected people is more like 10,000, rather than the 6000 reported cases and that significant numbers of infected people are currently moving around undetected; Wiping the virus all over the shopping trolley and the petrol pump, and the cash machine and every door handle and every telephone handset that they touch. Passing it,onto their kids and their co-workers. And thereby killing people. In our office there was a manager who went to Tenerife just as the infection spread there; passing through the same airport as the infected people; and then bringing it into the office,  calling loads of meetings and breathing all over everyone...oh how amusing he thought it was. What a near miss. He didn’t seem to notice that he didn’t look 100% himself and has now gone off sick / self-isolating. 

this latest action will show no benefits for 2 to 3 weeks. Tomorrow’s increased numbers of infected people will continue to rise as if nothing had happened today,  because those people were infected last week and the week before etc etc. There will be 15-20,000 reported cases before too long, and maybe 2000 dead by the time the 3 week lock down has ended. The 82 cases in Derbyshire, was 12 this time last week. 

last week I likened the situation to that moment when the sea has disappeared and it slowly dawns upon the beechcombers that a tsunami is on its way. because we still can’t see it, it still doesn’t seem real. but it will seem more real soon enough.

Archived