Coronavirus

1of4

Still, things could be worse...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/trump-social-distancing-coronavirus-rules-guidelines-economy

Donald Trump has signalled a potential change in his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, amid warnings of a record plunge in economic activity and unemployment potentially hitting 30%.

Writing in capital letters in a tweet late on Sunday, the US president said: “We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself. At the end of the 15-day period” – of White House guidelines to enforce social distancing and other measures which began on 16 March – “we will make a decision as to which way we want to go.”

Mike Pence, who heads the White House coronavirus task force, said earlier in the day the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) would issue guidance on Monday meant to allow people already exposed to the coronavirus to return to work sooner.

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As more people are now working from home and the increased use of video calls. Could this become more prevalent once the country returns to normality. If so could we see a reduction in rush hour traffic, the limited need for business trip  not just around the country but also around the world.

Which besides helping to reduce business cost, it would also be great for the environment

Pretty sure there will be a lot of businesses who come out the other side wondering why on earth they spend huge amounts of money on office space when the world's largest experiment in home working has shown an amazing cost-saving opportunity

After seeing how the Republicans and the Democratic parties in the USA are arguing over how and who they give money to, in their battle with the coronavirus. Which will delay and leave many Americans unable to obtain any treatment for the virus.

I can only be happy we have the NHS. It may be underfunded and under staffed but thankfully it's available to us all,

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

After seeing how the Republicans and the Democratic parties in the USA are arguing over how and who they give money to, in their battle with the coronavirus. Which will delay and leave many Americans unable to obtain any treatment for the virus.

I can only be happy we have the NHS. It may be underfunded and under staffed but thankfully it's available to us all,

I'd go to war to protect the NHS. Seriously.

With Johnson not making an appearance at the  government's 5pm briefing. I've a feeling he will be making an announcement about a more stringent lock down policy and is holding off doing so until after all the major supermarkets close at 8pm. So as not to cause a last minute stampede to them.

7 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

With Johnson not making an appearance at the  government's 5pm briefing. I've a feeling he will be making an announcement about a more stringent lock down policy and is holding off doing so until after all the major supermarkets close at 8pm. So as not to cause a last minute stampede to them.

He was chairing a Cobra meeting which may have been pre-arranged. But, you could be right and would be a sensible thing given how some people react.

6 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Will do mate.

I'm not overly worried; low risk demographic and I recognise that this virus is probably going to pass through more people than not.
Just got to do my best to not spread it further myself. I assume my other half has it, so we'll be getting stuff delivered for the forseeable future and telling the delivery people to leave it outside the front door and back away slowly ? 
Also wont start the process of burdening our health service unless it gets much worse.

This is going to be the Saint house hold ?

Just now, GboroRam said:

Major increase in lockdown announced. 

Still a bit vague for me. Do offices and factories shut down? An office near my house looked full today and loads of the  out for a walk at lunchtime. Non-food and medical shops shutdown. I thought that had already happened!

Finally getting somewhere though

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Still a bit vague for me. Do offices and factories shut down? An office near my house looked full today and loads of the  out for a walk at lunchtime. Non-food and medical shops shutdown. I thought that had already happened!

Pedantically he didn't also mention going out of the house to buy petrol to presumably to be able to drive to work as one of the only reasons someone should be leaving the house for

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Pedantically he didn't also mention going out of the house to buy petrol to presumably to be able to drive to work as one of the only reasons someone should be leaving the house for

I ordered a box of rubber gloves off eBay today specifically for filling up at the pumps. Let’s hope the posties are aloud to deliver them...

Well it’s about time. The bloke showed a massive error in judgement thinking that the Great British public could be trusted to act sensibly. Mrs R just showed me a video off Facebook of some chav Mum arguing with her ignorant little turd of an offspring not to step out the front door. F-in teenagers!!!

15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Don't think any official word went out shutting down shops. The shops that have shut did it on their own initiative. Sadly people don't respond to guidance - they need instruction. This should have happened a week ago, maybe more. 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Don't think any official word went out shutting down shops. The shops that have shut did it on their own initiative. Sadly people don't respond to guidance - they need instruction. This should have happened a week ago, maybe more. 

Shops selling non essential goods will be shut 

Archived