Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think it was that clear.

I work for a small company, from tomorrow we're splitting shifts to maintain isolation and contact.

We have a decent amount of customers in the medical trade, although it's not our bread and butter.

For instance, we make the seals in BOC oxygen tanks, and seals for other medical supply companies, should we still be working?

I find the timing of this announcement totally weird...the day after Mother's Day when half the country were round their relatives houses in group family gatherings which was OK yesterday but not OK today....not like Boris was unaware of this annual event 

He said travel to work is permitted so assume offices will still be open. It's shops selling "non essential!" items such as clothing and electrical retailers which will need to close.. That's how I understood it anyway.

19 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I ordered a box of rubber gloves off eBay today specifically for filling up at the pumps. Let’s hope the posties are aloud to deliver them...

Well it’s about time. The bloke showed a massive error in judgement thinking that the Great British public could be trusted to act sensibly. Mrs R just showed me a video off Facebook of some chav Mum arguing with her ignorant little turd of an offspring not to step out the front door. F-in teenagers!!!

Did mum go out in the end? ?

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Pedantically he didn't also mention going out of the house to buy petrol to presumably to be able to drive to work as one of the only reasons someone should be leaving the house for

I think common sense needs to be applied.

It seems to me that, if possible (which I'm sure it is for the vast majority) you should call for your petrol on the way to or on the way back from work. Failing that, get it when you go out for your essential shopping. 

Don't, unless absolutely unavoidable, go out just to buy petrol. That way, I would suggest, you are well and truly complying.

With 24 hour garages, including at many supermarkets, it should be fairly easy for nearly everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I find the timing of this announcement totally weird...the day after Mother's Day when half the country were round their relatives houses in group family gatherings which was OK yesterday but not OK today....not like Boris was unaware of this annual event 

It was not OK yesterday either. The gov said earlier on in the week that we should be restricting social contact and BJ wrote as much in the times as well. 

In terms of work, the policy hasn't changed. Work at home unless you absolutely need to go in. 

Just now, alexxxxx said:

It was not OK yesterday either. The gov said earlier on in the week that we should be restricting social contact and BJ wrote as much in the times as well. 

In terms of work, the policy hasn't changed. Work at home unless you absolutely need to go in. 

It wasn't specifically banned yesterday though? But today it has been, if it was that important today why wasn't it seen with the same importance yesterday 

Not clear at all I didn't think and still massively open to interpretation, from a legal standpoint. 

Needs to either unequivocally lock down and kill the economy but probably save lives, or just leave it as it was and let natural selection take its course.

Impossible to balance the two I think.

Also as an NHS worker I find it incredible that our own system still does not make it mandatory for staff who can work from home to do so - in a bloody hospital. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

It wasn't specifically banned yesterday though? But today it has been, if it was that important today why wasn't it seen with the same importance yesterday 

I think this is a case of you reap what you sow.  He stopped pub, etc opening for Mother’s Day and asked for people to maintain social distance.  He hoped the public would understand and use common sense.  After all, we’re a democratic society not a communist state.  But people haven’t heeded his advice or warnings as he was clear yesterday if people didn’t change their behaviour tougher measures would be needed.

Now it’s a case of telling everyone what they can and can’t do if they can’t work it out for themselves.

2 minutes ago, Coolascustard said:

I think this is a case of you reap what you sow.  He stopped pub, etc opening for Mother’s Day and asked for people to maintain social distance.  He hoped the public would understand and use common sense.  After all, we’re a democratic society not a communist state.  But people haven’t heeded his advice or warnings as he was clear yesterday if people didn’t change their behaviour tougher measures would be needed.

Now it’s a case of telling everyone what they can and can’t do if they can’t work it out for themselves.

If something's that important or critical in this case can you really leave it to people's discretion or goodwill to ensure that the right outcome occurs?

If something's that important or critical in this case can you really leave it to people's discretion or goodwill to ensure that the right outcome occurs?

It would appear not, which is a shame.  You’’d hope that everyone would get, avoid crowds and heed the advice.  As is often the case, the actions of a few spoil it for many.

20 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Exactly same timing in France. They had local election on the sunday and lockdown anounced  couple of days after that. They are now waiting for the even stricter lockdow this week. which will come here as well probably next week

Just now, Coolascustard said:

It would appear not, which is a shame.  You’’d hope that everyone would get, avoid crowds and heed the advice.  As is often the case, the actions of a few spoil it for many.

Agreed I would have expected a bit more governance and leadership from Boris rather than hoping people would do the right thing.

We seem to be way behind the curve on reacting to this threat and are just now following the ABCs of measures which other countries put in place weeks ago. What made Boris think we were an exceptional case or different to these other countries is beyond me.

5 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Exactly same timing in France. They had local election on the sunday and lockdown anounced  couple of days after that. They are now waiting for the even stricter lockdow this week. which will come here as well probably next week

And wasnt that decision by the French government heavily criticized to go ahead with the first round of elections at all

Agreed I would have expected a bit more governance and leadership from Boris rather than hoping people would do the right thing.

We seem to be way behind the curve on reacting to this threat and are just now following the ABCs of measures which other countries put in place weeks ago. What made Boris think we were an exceptional case or different to these other countries is beyond me.

Fair point.  He’s a bit damned if you do and damned if don’t.  If he’d have put these measures in place last week everyone would say it’s over the top and a knee jerk reaction.  In fairness he did restrict movement quicker than others such as working from home.

Archived