Coronavirus

1of4

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Have they implemented any such measures in Italy or Spain? I honestly don’t know. I don’t think I heard of any reports of rioting over there.

People are allowed to go to the shops as and when required over here. As far as I know there has been panic buying, and no fighting. There are security guards on the supermarket doors allowing fewer people in at any one time. Supermarkets are a little different over here though. Where I live there are around 45000 inhabitants. We have one large Sainsbury's type supermarket, but around 6 or 7 smaller ones that only sell food and toiletries.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Out of curiosity, are you isolating or distancing at all? 

I asked but was told it was none of my business....

We went out Friday night for a curry as we didn't have any food in and thought not leaving our village was the best option given the circumstances. 

We then went out on Sunday afternoon for a walk at Foremark reservoir to get out of the house - routes were busier than normal, but what do you expect when basically everywhere else is closed and it's one of the first nice weekends of the year. Am I being irresponsible - we didn't pass within 6 feet of anyone but sounds like some would want us hanged for daring to leave the house unless it's to go picking up the disease at the supermarket.

9 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I think it was only a few days ago that somene posted about the simulation and numbers in italy (cant find it) and mentionned 5000 deaths. I thought this cant be right surely, they gonna past it and counting. Crazy crazy times

I've got a prediction document. If Italy can keep their daily death rate around what it is now, then there is hope. 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

At the risk of reigniting old arguments,  the metro reports this morning that a 36 year old nurse with no underlying health issues is critically ill in the west Midlands with it.

This things a killer. 

Also, having read a bit of history of the Spanish flu, that was a first, mild wave in early 1918, followed by a lull, then a mutation which came back very hard from August. So are we in the first wave as that is a very worrying prospect if things follow the same course. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the photos of her, show she is obese. 

Sith Happens
36 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

We went out Friday night for a curry as we didn't have any food in and thought not leaving our village was the best option given the circumstances. 

We then went out on Sunday afternoon for a walk at Foremark reservoir to get out of the house - routes were busier than normal, but what do you expect when basically everywhere else is closed and it's one of the first nice weekends of the year. Am I being irresponsible - we didn't pass within 6 feet of anyone but sounds like some would want us hanged for daring to leave the house unless it's to go picking up the disease at the supermarket.

For me no that sounds reasonable. There are plenty of open spaces people can go where they aren't on top of each other. We often go to Shipley Park for a picnic down at osbornes pond and you can practically have the field to yourself so no i can't see any issues with that.....We have said we may well do that it depends...

The images we are seeing arent people sensibly enjoying the open air...its those who can't do it without flocking to the most popular areas where keeping your distance is going to be impossible. Its not a necessity to flock to matlock bath and walk the pavements amongst big crowds to each your fish and chips or whatever.....

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I have no way doubt it’s happening as I’ve seen the news footage but, I haven’t seen of this mass hysteria in Tamworth. I have large ASDA’s and Sainsbury’s within walking distance and a large Morrison’s about 2 miles away. We also have 2 Aldi’s and a Lidl. They seem busier and many shelves are pretty much empty but no sign of mob rule. I can only assume this behaviour is happening at opening time so, provided you don’t need toilet roll, paracetamol, chicken and the other items being panic bought, you’re better off waiting a little while.

On a side note, I took some provisions we had bought for my elderly parents to their house yesterday. I must have seen at least a dozen Ocado delivery vans on the A42 as well as numerous other larger supermarket vehicles.

TBF I went to Aldi pretty early on Saturday morning and it was pretty rammed, but only slightly worse than Christmas.  When i nipped across the road to Tesco, would've been about 8:45am, there was hardly anyone there.  Tesco was the same yesterday around 12pm, but I did overhear one of the check girls saying it was mental when they first opened...

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Me, the Mrs and lad took the dog out for a walk after tea last night, few dog walkers, but gave them all a respectable berth.  Obviously it's more difficult in urban areas to keep your distance, but in this situation, there's no margin for error, we can't ignore the idiot minority

Sith Happens
59 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the photos of her, show she is obese. 

Only seems a couple of pics online, hard to tell really but while she might not be a size 6 supermodel she hardly looks obese too me.

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Getting crowded at home now, 3 of us working from home. Gonna get messy. ?

Why what do you do? ?

It's been tough the last week working from home. The demand for my job has increased since the outbreak and I decided to take a walk around my local park for an hour at lunch, obviously not getting close to people. I might not be able to do this for much longer since idiots have been mingling in large groups, treating the situation as a joke. People's selfishness will ultimately cost many people from even walking outside for a few minutes. Credit to the national papers for warning people today. This hasn't registered in many people's brain cells yet and they'll be the first ones to moan when the army start patrolling city streets.

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I dispair for our country. What will people be like if things become worse during this crisis.

This is an extract from a BBC news report.

Hundreds of shoppers flocked to a Tesco as it opened early for NHS workers because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Supermarkets have announced priority shopping so NHS staff can have less competition for restocked shelves.

However at Tesco Extra in Dudley, hundreds of people queued before 09:00 GMT on Sunday with one describing the scenes as "mob rule".

Tesco said it would "take learnings" from the opening and continue to offer priority shopping times to NHS workers.

Jan D'Arcy, who works in the breast screening department at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley, said: "This was a slot that was given for NHS staff, nobody respected that. It was mob rule.

"I think they just let anybody through the door, I think that was the safest thing to do to prevent any kind of disturbance."

Makes me want to build a log cabin in Canada in the middle of nowhere, reading this kind of news. I despair with the human race.

Loads of images like this of packed tube trains in London this morning. This was taken on the central line. I appreciate people still need to get places but if this sort of scene is playing out across the city then this virus doesn't look like it will have too much trouble spreading like absolute wildfire over the next couple of weeks.

I'm not sure what the solution is, you can't just close the tube because key workers still rely on it to get where they need to be, but surely we must attempt to do something to reduce the chances of this happening?

90646317_10157023618245906_619187885827948544_n.jpg

Archived