Coronavirus

1of4

Having spent 3 days in lock down, just went out to give the car a run. It’s a normal day out there. Loads of traffic. Lots of people working as normal.

I was quite amazed. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Every country except for China and South Korea.  They set the example of how to respond to this....the rest of the world should have just done what they did I guess.

In many countries it's almost as if authorities want society to break down.

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Every country except for China and South Korea.  They set the example of how to respond to this....the rest of the world should have just done what they did I guess.

Taiwan.

Ball. Out. Of. Park. 

They absolutely nailed it. We're Keystone Cops by comparison.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Been working from home since Friday 13th. Only been out the house twice, both times to get shopping. Both times, very quiet supermarkets but managed to get what I could. 

First day of symptoms today with a temperature of 38.7 and a slight shortness of breath. Here we go. 

Sorry to hear that, get well soon. Have other people in your house got it? If you live alone then it must be highly contagious or take ages for symptoms.

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Taiwan.

Ball. Out. Of. Park. 

Taiwan's rules were incredible. Fines for not maintaining quarantine with symptoms. Fines/Jailtime for spreading misinformation. All on top of controlling the production of relevant medical supplies from the earliest point. 

They learnt their lesson from SARS.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Pretty sure I'm right there with you. Headache, lost my sense of smell & taste (which I had to look up but is indeed a fairly common 'new' symptom) and slight shortness of breath. Also suspect my shivering is due to a fever and not a cold house.

I was going into work until Friday.

Bad news hope you get well asap. At least you are the best on here at doing updates though, keep us informed.

Just now, SaintRam said:

Taiwan's rules were incredible. Fines for not maintaining quarantine with symptoms. Fines/Jailtime for spreading misinformation. All on top of controlling the production of relevant medical supplies from the earliest point. 

They learnt their lesson from SARS.

Sounds like one of them Nanny States that they used to warn about at Eton.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Bad news hope you get well asap. At least you are the best on here at doing updates though, keep us informed.

Will do mate.

I'm not overly worried; low risk demographic and I recognise that this virus is probably going to pass through more people than not.
Just got to do my best to not spread it further myself. I assume my other half has it, so we'll be getting stuff delivered for the forseeable future and telling the delivery people to leave it outside the front door and back away slowly ? 
Also wont start the process of burdening our health service unless it gets much worse.

10 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Taiwan.

Ball. Out. Of. Park. 

South Korea as well, testing, use of technology, high infection rate but managed it brilliantly no lock down as far as i know They really showed the world how to do it and it is a bigg(ish) country

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Will do mate.

I'm not overly worried; low risk demographic and I recognise that this virus is probably going to pass through more people than not.
Just got to do my best to not spread it further myself. I assume my other half has it, so we'll be getting stuff delivered for the forseeable future and telling the delivery people to leave it outside the front door and back away slowly ? 
Also wont start the process of burdening our health service unless it gets much worse.

Look after yourselves, and don't leave it too late if you are getting worse. It's good to not overburden the health service, but leaving it too late could overburden your body.

20 minutes ago, ramit said:

In many countries it's almost as if authorities want society to break down.

In my view, they seemed too fearful of the economic impact of implementing the draconian measures necessary....rather than actively wishing society to break down.

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

In my view, they seemed too fearful of the economic impact of implementing the draconian measures necessary....rather than actively wishing society to break down.

It's all speculative at this point.  Time will tell.

41 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Taiwan.

Ball. Out. Of. Park. 

23 minutes ago, Highgate said:

17 minutes ago, ramit said:

It's all speculative at this point.  Time will tell.

It's been a shambles really.  As I said waaaay back on page whatever, we're an island nation, we could've shut borders, screened all passengers arriving on boats planes from high risk zones, but we just let them wander straight through passport control and into the general population.  

Same goes for closing pubs, cafes, bars etc. he didn't want to enforce a shutdown, so businesses couldn't claim insurance, and no doubt annoy some of his biggest benefactors.  But on the flip side, as I said, it's not his fault his predecessors cut the NHS off at the knees over the past 10 years...

57 minutes ago, Highgate said:

You say 'seemed' it the past tense as if now we have understood our mistakes and implemented the required measures?

40 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

It's been a shambles really.  As I said waaaay back on page whatever, we're an island nation, we could've shut borders, screened all passengers arriving on boats planes from high risk zones, but we just let them wander straight through passport control and into the general population.  

Same goes for closing pubs, cafes, bars etc. he didn't want to enforce a shutdown, so businesses couldn't claim insurance, and no doubt annoy some of his biggest benefactors.  But on the flip side, as I said, it's not his fault his predecessors cut the NHS off at the knees over the past 10 years...

It's pretty much the same situation here, except we are testing a much higher percentage than Britain is, well we were until the testing swabs were running out.  Tourists were not restricted in any way and the reasoning given to Icelanders was that they were much less likely to infect others, because they didn't have as intimate a contact with us natives.  Madness, incompetence, flaming capitalist tunnel visioned lunatics running the show here am afraid.

23 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

There pubs still open now useing take away option filling pop bottles for £6.

So people still ingore the goverment intu shutting shops apart food shop and shops that selling mediacen.

Soon be no fast food what so ever.

Yep fast food is deffo slowing down

46 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You say 'seemed' it the past tense as if now we have understood our mistakes and implemented the required measures?

Good point, seemed (when the virus first reached their countries) and still seem even now (as the virus is already spreading rapidly among their populations).  Countries are gradually getting there too late, step by step..but still aren't being decisive enough it seems.  If everywhere implemented the sorts of measures that we've seen from some Asian countries, then things might be a whole lot better now.  Terribly easy to say in hindsight of course.

The irony is, if countries had implemented those measures and shut down this virus before it ever took hold, governments around the world would now be being accused of over-reacting and unnecessarily damaging economies., simply because people wouldn't ever have realized how bad it might have been.

As more people are now working from home and the increased use of video calls. Could this become more prevalent once the country returns to normality. If so could we see a reduction in rush hour traffic, the limited need for business trip  not just around the country but also around the world.

Which besides helping to reduce business cost, it would also be great for the environment

Archived