The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

The underlined part above is absolutely spot on. Why don't intelligent people see this?

I wish I had an answer to that.  It's a mystery to me.  I guess it has something to do with environmental concerns being perceived vague, varied and in the future, whereas economic issues are an immediate problem in most people's lives. 

21 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Couldn't be played for me.

One of those "This is England" type knobbers. 

"Show respect to this country!" he says. 

Just a guy that's fiercely proud of British values letting a Pakistani man know that he should respect our Democracy, Liberty, Tolerance and Mutual respect. 

Good old British values didn't get past this proud Englishman.

He even knows a bit about the India Pakistan wars it would seem. I'm sure as a proud English patriot he will know exactly how that conflict began. 

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I wish I had an answer to that.  It's a mystery to me.  I guess it has something to do with environmental concerns being perceived vague, varied and in the future, whereas economic issues are an immediate problem in most people's lives. 

Politicians don't get re-elected with pledges 10-20 years into the future.  Short termism rules when you're up for re-election every few years.

Reopening coal stations and employing 50k workers is voting wining, if short-sighted

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Just a guy that's fiercely proud of British values letting a Pakistani man know that he should respect our Democracy, Liberty, Tolerance and Mutual respect. 

What? This is the sort of stuff (I know you're being jokey) that stops the rest of us being 'proud' of being from England. What a vile piece of work he is.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is so depressing, probably not the place to put it, but it needs to be seen. ?

Hope they found out who he is and gets jail time for that. Awful, despicable man. Who does he think he is.

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

He has done zero/nothing/nada/zip/zilch to improve anything in this country. 
He should never have been allowed to run. 
he should never have been elected. 
he should have been impeached and kicked out. 

He has his fans though

Trump has done more to advance the idea of the divided states of America than any of of his predecessors and is well on his way to disassembling the American global empire.  4 more years and it will be a done job.  No enemy nation could even dream of inflicting such lasting damage to the USA as Trump does in a mere tweet.   

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Here is the uncaring racist president who has done nothing to improve people’s lives.

"We are very honored to be joined by our incredible Vice President Mike"

That's as far as i got before i was interrupted by my own high pitched shrieking maniacal laughter and had to put the thing on pause for my health's sake

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is so depressing, probably not the place to put it, but it needs to be seen. ?

i wonder if the passenger gives a flying duck now that this has been spread all over the internet so even i in Iceland can gape in astonishment at his obnoxious drunken racist rant.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Politicians don't get re-elected with pledges 10-20 years into the future.  Short termism rules when you're up for re-election every few years.

Reopening coal stations and employing 50k workers is voting wining, if short-sighted

Yeah, I'd agree that has a great deal to do with why most politicians don't embrace sensible environmental policies  They don't think it will do their career any good.  And that reflects badly on the voter actually.

I understood @1967Ram's question to be, why don't intelligent voters see this flaw in Trump's policies? But I guess it could have been referring to politicians too.  Given that intelligence was mentioned it can't have been directed at Trump.. ?

55 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, I'd agree that has a great deal to do with why most politicians don't embrace sensible environmental policies  They don't think it will do their career any good.  And that reflects badly on the voter actually.

I understood @1967Ram's question to be, why don't intelligent voters see this flaw in Trump's policies? But I guess it could have been referring to politicians too.  Given that intelligence was mentioned it can't have been directed at Trump.. ?

There is definitely an element of short termism with politicians because of the electoral cycle which I can sort of understand, but the real reason is the fossil fuel corporate lobbyists who control them.

1 hour ago, ramit said:

"We are very honored to be joined by our incredible Vice President Mike"

That's as far as i got before i was interrupted by my own high pitched shrieking maniacal laughter and had to put the thing on pause for my health's sake

Ha ha that’s so funny, that is the exact point I switched It off....just as I saw the back of his head standing up I stopped It. 

idiots the both of them...the only people worse than the two of them are those supporting them.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What? This is the sort of stuff (I know you're being jokey) that stops the rest of us being 'proud' of being from England. What a vile piece of work he is.

I am joking. I found it ironic that the things that should make people proud to be from Britain/England he's going against.

British values make it on of the most tolerable countries in the world? Even if people do seem to forget that. 

Nothing should stop you being proud to be from England. What can? 

She wrote: "For years, with every horrific murder of an innocent black man, woman, or child, I have always tried to find the right words to express my condolences and outrage, but the privilege I am afforded by the color of my skin has often let me feeling like this is not a fight that I can truly take on my own. Not today, not anymore. Like so many of you, I am angry. I am more than angry. I am infuriated and I am disgusted. I am exhausted by the heartbreak I feel seeing mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and children suffering because their loved one was murdered or locked away unjustly for being black.

It may be because i'm older than some on here . Many don't seem to mind this privilege term I keep seeing bandied about. Personally, I  find it grossly offensive.  No need to reply with regard to what others feel it means . You would only be repeating yourselves. 

The above tweet by the way is from Kim Kardashian who's African American husband was one of Donalds biggest fans .  Now she's moaning about the use of rubber bullets and old Kanye is setting up trust funds and giving money to African - American shopkeepers in Chicago ?. America seems a strange country with a certain population count with few brain cells that unfortunately are doing more harm than good with this ill thought gushing. This constant guilt tripping and turgid tosh from celebrities competing to sound more apologetic is turning me right off .

On 04/06/2020 at 06:47, maxjam said:

Or maybe its a mixture of both?

Even CNN begrudgingly acknowledge some of Trumps achievements, although they hilariously call him out for being dishonest;

Trump's penchant for dishonesty is well-established. His rhetoric is littered with major fabrications, entire stories he seems to have invented out of thin air. But his remarks are also peppered with extremely trivial exaggerations, slight stretches about accomplishments that would seem not to need any deception to shine.

It sometimes seems as if he has set his Teleprompter to automatically translate the word "almost" to "more than." When the unemployment rate was the lowest in 49 years, Trump boasted of the lowest rate in "more than 50 years." When he had confirmed 91 new federal judges, he claimed "more than 100 new federal judges." When the country had added 481,000 manufacturing jobs since his election, he touted "more than 500,000 jobs."

Fair enough if you are going to be pedantic it is inaccurate, but what politician doesn't round up lowest unemployment in 49yrs to 50yrs? 91 new judges to 100 or 481k new jobs to 500k etc?  I'm not arguing that he does talk a lot of garbage but to say all he's achieved is a 'crock of poo' would be inaccurate as well.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/28/politics/trump-exaggerates-unemployment-accomplishments/index.html

One of our Directors at work does exactly this & it drives me mad, as I'm a stickler for accuracy.

He'll just come out with a silly and usually unnecessary exaggeration - even in a meeting with a client - and then look at me or others to back him up.

I then have a choice of correcting him and making him look silly and unprofessional, or agreeing with him and being complicit in not being honest in front of clients. Neither of which are good for the company IMO.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

She wrote: "For years, with every horrific murder of an innocent black man, woman, or child, I have always tried to find the right words to express my condolences and outrage, but the privilege I am afforded by the color of my skin has often let me feeling like this is not a fight that I can truly take on my own. Not today, not anymore. Like so many of you, I am angry. I am more than angry. I am infuriated and I am disgusted. I am exhausted by the heartbreak I feel seeing mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and children suffering because their loved one was murdered or locked away unjustly for being black.

It may be because i'm older than some on here . Many don't seem to mind this privilege term I keep seeing bandied about. Personally, I  find it grossly offensive.  No need to reply with regard to what others feel it means . You would only be repeating yourselves. 

The above tweet by the way is from Kim Kardashian who's African American husband was one of Donalds biggest fans .  Now she's moaning about the use of rubber bullets and old Kanye is setting up trust funds and giving money to African - American shopkeepers in Chicago ?. America seems a strange country with a certain population count with few brain cells that unfortunately are doing more harm than good with this ill thought gushing. This constant guilt tripping and turgid tosh from celebrities competing to sound more apologetic is turning me right off .

Film stars, Sportsmen/women, Singers, Politicians, Celebrities are shouting from the rooftops at their digust, Lewis Hamilton has had a dig at his fellow sportsmen for not following his lead, So it would appear now that if you're not "gushing with support" you could be seen to be supporting racism, The death of George Floyd imo is being used to show how "super nice" all the above are.

I'll wager that on June 17th when the Premier league re-start there'll be a minutes silence of reflection.

George Floyd wasn't innocent was he? 

I'm all over the fact that he was brutally murdered and excessive force was used. I can fully believe his race did matter even though 2 of the 4 police officers aren't white. But he was doing something illegal? 

Has Kim Kardashian got a lot of examples of white people killing innocent black people? 

I also thought Kim Kardashian was not white? I thought she was mixed race? 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

George Floyd wasn't innocent was he? 

Arrested for allegedley using a forged $20 note...whether innocent or guilty we'll never know.

I'm all over the fact that he was brutally murdered and excessive force was used. I can fully believe his race did matter even though 2 of the 4 police officers aren't white. But he was doing something illegal? 

1st piece I agree on,, 2nd, 2 of the 4 officers not being white is immaterial imo, Just being an officer and standing by without stopping the white officer shows they were complicit imo, 3rd, Again we'll never know.

Has Kim Kardashian got a lot of examples of white people killing innocent black people? 

That I would not know, But her little Sister has complained that Forbes has dropped her from the Billionaires list and now just a multi multi Millionaire.

I also thought Kim Kardashian was not white? I thought she was mixed race? 

Has she passed away...I believe she IS of mixed race, But not certain of this.

Archived