The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I didn't know,  googled it and it's connected with the horrendous events in the states.  

I didn't add up protesting outside downing street for something triggered by events in the states.

I've given up understanding the logic of violent protests so probably best I don't say more on the topic.

Yeah, Germany, Denmark, Ireland, London, France, Canada, Syria, New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil, Italy, Poland, Australia and counting... The usual suspects, but easy to miss.

As to why, must be the international branches of ANTIFA I guess. I mean there's nothing else it could be, right?

According to a few on here, they all need shooting. Maybe there's a clue in there somewhere but I can't be sure  ?‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Now kicking off in London. Unacceptable. 

Send in the South Yorkshire match day Police .......that’d be messy ?

Live coverage from the Sky helicopter over Whitehall just now where the police were trying to form a human barrier across the road. 

You could easily spot the protesters who were there to protest peacefully and the ones trying to inflame the situation. Push people into the police line, throw a few punches and encourage everyone to join in before legging it before the police react. You know, like the Danny Dyer wanbabe types at the football..... 

I thought the police dealt with it pretty well. I like the way they are dressed normally in their usual uniform  as opposed to all tooled up and looking for trouble. Its less inflammatory. 

The nights still young I guess. 

Another interesting resource on race issues in the UK. Some of the stuff in there is open to interpretation (e.g. treatment of Dianne Abbot, Meghan Markle, etc.) but some of it contains cold, hard stats that seem to be undeniable examples of some level of institutional racism:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J7_WqCpsB083mq0H6eClxKKq_9PcYZKrxpiF6_Mi--Y/mobilebasic?fbclid=IwAR2BB58HwqgRAN-270BYOPdfwrBsm2NnhK-2DXpBfVpG98HgKu9J71OXmHk 

Out of interest, was anyone taught the gritty details of the British Empire at school? I don't think we ever really looked at the more horrific aspects.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

If you separate Trump the man from the stuff that he and the Republicans have done over the past 4 years, for the average American they have actually not done to bad of a job imo - up until coronavirus, record breaking employment, record breaking numbers of minorities in employment, new trade deals, talked to N.Korea, taught Iran a lesson and focussed America's real threat, China.

Firstly, you cannot separate  the man from the stuff that they have done, you are talking about a man who has basically issued a massive call to arms to all the red necks in the country....For gods sake the guy said that to get rid of a global pandemic that we should inject ourselves with some cleaning fluid....he is an absolute clown...and as the great Beans on Toast says so beautifully, elect a clown don’t be surprised if you get a circus...and hat is exactly what we have got a racist, sexist, homophobic dhead Clown  running a crazy circus  

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

If you separate Trump the man from the stuff that he and the Republicans have done over the past 4 years, for the average American they have actually not done to bad of a job imo - up until coronavirus, record breaking employment, record breaking numbers of minorities in employment, new trade deals, talked to N.Korea, taught Iran a lesson and focussed America's real threat, China

never much about this on our mainstream news.........maybe because its not fake, or fits in wth their agenda

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Out of interest, was anyone taught the gritty details of the British Empire at school? I don't think we ever really looked at the more horrific aspects.

Nope only got as far as Julius Ceasar at school, But self taught now, Ever since the Spanish Armada sailed into Calais and Drake sent in some fire ships, Then the Armada sailed round Scotland down past Ireland most of the ships lost in the fierce Atlantic, The ones that made it to shore were killed by the locals, A few ships returned to Spain and that was pretty much the end for them.

After that episode a small island at the edge of Europe that was seen as nothing to be fussed about became a super power of the Seas and where it was said the Sun never sets, We nicked all their Spices, Sugar, Tabaco, Jewels, Gold, Silver, People, Land and more, And after all that and to be honest...It wasn't anything to do with me or any Brits living today...But there's appologists around that want their revenge for our Fore Fathers going out exploring.

6 minutes ago, TramRam said:

After that episode a small island at the edge of Europe that was seen as nothing to be fussed about became a super power of the Seas and where it was said the Sun never sets, We nicked all their Spices, Sugar, Tabaco, Jewels, Gold, Silver, People, Land and more, And after all that and to be honest...It wasn't anything to do with me or any Brits living today...But there's appologists around that want their revenge for our Fore Fathers going out exploring.

I agree that people shouldn’t be made to feel guilty about something that happened hundreds of years ago and which they had absolutely nothing to do with.

However, I do feel that people would be more open to listening about the subtle, subconscious discrimination that pervades society today if they were taught that the Empire wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows, and that it was extremely brutal and exploitative. People seem uncomfortable about the idea that Britain, like every single country in the world, has a dark history, and in turn are uncomfortable about any lingering legacies from that time.

Sith Happens
17 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

What type of pasta was it and why were they booing it? maybe it was out of date. 

I don't know but I would offer a penne for their thoughts. 

32 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Another interesting resource on race issues in the UK. Some of the stuff in there is open to interpretation (e.g. treatment of Dianne Abbot, Meghan Markle, etc.) but some of it contains cold, hard stats that seem to be undeniable examples of some level of institutional racism:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J7_WqCpsB083mq0H6eClxKKq_9PcYZKrxpiF6_Mi--Y/mobilebasic?fbclid=IwAR2BB58HwqgRAN-270BYOPdfwrBsm2NnhK-2DXpBfVpG98HgKu9J71OXmHk 

I think I'd have to raise my hand there.  Some unpleasant details alright...

7 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Nope only got as far as Julius Ceasar at school, But self taught now, Ever since the Spanish Armada sailed into Calais and Drake sent in some fire ships, Then the Armada sailed round Scotland down past Ireland most of the ships lost in the fierce Atlantic, The ones that made it to shore were killed by the locals, A few ships returned to Spain and that was pretty much the end for them.

Something like 70 ships returned out of about 130.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Tarring all protestors with the looting and rioting brush is like targeting all football fans with the hooligan brush. Don’t get distracted by the few who go too far.

Do they know the damage they do to gaining wider support or do they not care and just see an opportunity to be bullies? 

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I agree that people shouldn’t be made to feel guilty about something that happened hundreds of years ago and which they had absolutely nothing to do with.

However, I do feel that people would be more open to listening about the subtle, subconscious discrimination that pervades society today if they were taught that the Empire wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows, and that it was extremely brutal and exploitative. People seem uncomfortable about the idea that Britain, like every single country in the world, has a dark history, and in turn are uncomfortable about any lingering legacies from that time.

Agreed, I feel no Guilt at all, But how far should we go back in history, Britain(a name given by the Romans)was conquered and settled for some 360 years until they scooted off back home as Rome was being sacked around 410AD, The Normans 1066(Plantagenets)some 350 years until Richard 111 was topped at Bosworth Field, I've learned history can teach us all from good and bad, But there's some out there that would set other Countries back 100s of years...Pol Pot had a good go.

Archived