The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

19 minutes ago, maxjam said:

To undermine our negotiations?

Because its motivated by revenge and they want their pound of flesh?

Who knows, maybe they just all feel strongly that he broke the rules and the fact that most if them were remainers is just pure coincidence. 

Undermine negotiations? Why would our negotiations be any worse without Cummings? He's an advisor not an elected politician.

Why muddy the facts with all that though. Cummings disregard for his own guidelines is whats important here, not what his contribution to Leave was. I know plenty of Leave voters who believe Cummings is a liar and a hypocrite.

Brexit and Covid are not related.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Didn't count tbh, but thats still about 50% with an axe to grind.

People keep mentioning the Daily Mail as evidence that the tide has turned against Boris, but didn't they appoint a pro-remain editor?  Life is full of happy coincidences isn't it ?

The majority of the media have got a massive axe to grind re. Brexit and Dominic Cummings in particular, I imagine the sphere you move in may determine how big of an issue this is to you.  The only way we'd know for sure is if there was an election tomorrow - but thats years away and it will be long forgotten by then.

Nah, ignore the daily mail.

When you've lost the Star, that's really serious....

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Brexit and Covid are not related.

Some people seem to think they are;

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1287951/Brexit-news-dominic-cummings-latest-david-frost-conspiracy-boris-Johnson

Personally I don't find it to be beyond the realms of possibility.  Numerous high profile figures have broken the rules but the vitriol Cummings has/is facing is beyond hysterical imo.  Time will tell whether its  simply about breaking the rules or something more sinister.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Leave.EU looks like a neutral source of information 

Of course its not neutral, but the BBC or The Guardian aren't going to suggest its might possibly be something to do with Brexit either are they?

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Leave.EU looks like a neutral source of information 

I looked at their tweet account. I bet there are some great people behind that.

As someone posted earlier, the media is out of control...according to some heavily biased fringe groups with unaccountable funding.

Whilst the bbc gets stick all the time for laughably being left wing, they actually had someone from Guido Fawkes website on just before the Cummings statement!  Some kid looking for a job at a slightly more respectable outfit. Such as the Taxpayer's Alliance or Mike Ashley's PA.

This 'impartial' method of a neutral bbc referee between partisan factions is a great way of getting fringe ideas into people's homes. The presenter is not even allowed to point out ridiculous ideas or lies in case they be deemed biased. Cummings exploited this brilliantly with Brexit.

27 minutes ago, maxjam said:

People keep mentioning the Daily Mail as evidence that the tide has turned against Boris, but didn't they appoint a pro-remain editor?  Life is full of happy coincidences isn't it ?

The majority of the media have got a massive axe to grind re. Brexit and Dominic Cummings in particular, I imagine the sphere you move in may determine how big of an issue this is to you.  The only way we'd know for sure is if there was an election tomorrow - but thats years away and it will be long forgotten by then.

It's also probably a majority without an axe to grind on Brexit too. But that can be ignored to play into the shareable #mediawitchhunt narrative. You are normally a little more thorough than this @maxjam.

We need to scrap the bbc so we can get trusted media outlets like LeaveEU in their place.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Really struggle to understand your viewpoint on this maxjam.

You say, "the majority of the media have a massive axe to grind re. Brexit and Cummings". If you look back, you will find that the majority of the media were fully behind Brexit.

The Mail, Express, Sun, Times, News of the World, Telegraph were all pro Brexit. The Independent, Guardian and Mirror were mainly pro Remain. the main TV channels gave as much exposure to Leave as they did to Remain. Farage was on TV more than Simon Cowell.

The debate should be about Cummings actions not what others think about him.

Did he follow the spirit of the rules he was espousing at the time, ie: If you have symptoms, stay at home and protect the NHS.

I don't believe he did and as an unelected advisor he should never have been allowed to address the nation as he did. I believe the rules about political advisors suggest he should not have been allowed to speak to the press about his own circmstances. I might be wrong about that, I've not got enough time to fully read up about it.

It appears it's not just cobra meetings that Johnson doesn't like attending. He finally turned up to answer questions from MPs at Commons Liaison Committee meeting something he's failed to do on three previous occasions. Johnson was probably happy that due to the coronavirus he didn't have to be in the same room as his questioners and was able to give his answers via a video link. I wonder how many idiot boards Cummings had to hold up with the answers written on them, to enable Johnson to reply to the questions put to him.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Really struggle to understand your viewpoint on this maxjam.

You say, "the majority of the media have a massive axe to grind re. Brexit and Cummings". If you look back, you will find that the majority of the media were fully behind Brexit.

The Mail, Express, Sun, Times, News of the World, Telegraph were all pro Brexit. The Independent, Guardian and Mirror were mainly pro Remain. the main TV channels gave as much exposure to Leave as they did to Remain. Farage was on TV more than Simon Cowell.

The debate should be about Cummings actions not what others think about him.

Did he follow the spirit of the rules he was espousing at the time, ie: If you have symptoms, stay at home and protect the NHS.

I don't believe he did and as an unelected advisor he should never have been allowed to address the nation as he did. I believe the rules about political advisors suggest he should not have been allowed to speak to the press about his own circmstances. I might be wrong about that, I've not got enough time to fully read up about it.

What’s so hard to understand? @maxjam has made it very clear in his recent posts that this issue is about a bunch of revenge seeking, axe grinding remoaners, who are being aided in their desire for a pound of flesh by the editor of the uber-Tory Daily Mail.

There might even be something ‘more sinister’ going on...

FatalSparklingJackal-small.gif

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1287951/Brexit-news-dominic-cummings-latest-david-frost-conspiracy-boris-Johnson

Personally I don't find it to be beyond the realms of possibility.  Numerous high profile figures have broken the rules but the vitriol Cummings has/is facing is beyond hysterical imo.  Time will tell whether its  simply about breaking the rules or something more sinister.

To rule out that some of those more outspoken politicians don't have other motives is just stupid to dismiss. It isn't a conspiracy like others are trying to make out. 

Or the hypocritical nonsense of saying politicians are acting on morale purposes. Despite the same people bashing politicians, especially Conservatives, for not having morales. 

Weird. 

10 hours ago, Curtains said:

It’s easy to criticise when you are the failed opposition. 

Cooper married to Ed Balls the same Cooper that wanted to thwart Brexit. .

That was a total failure on her part right. 

I remember the Cooper-Letwin bill, It went through by 1 vote, Then onto the Lords, Cooper was there to witness the Lords voting it through, Never got to see her smug mush on the day of the election result in December unfortunately.

8 hours ago, maxjam said:

It was a storm in a tea cup, Now it's a Tornado that wont blow out, It's being perpetuated BY SOME EDITORS/JOURNALISTS/MPs for Political/Personel reasons, Only 2 people to blame BJ and DC, It aint big it aint cool to stiff the electorate, There's bigger stories out there that don't get airtime I guess and this is creating a HUGE distraction.

25 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I remember the Cooper-Letwin bill, It went through by 1 vote, Then onto the Lords, Cooper was there to witness the Lords voting it through, Never got to see her smug mush on the day of the election result in December unfortunately.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjGsoXS_dXpAhVysXEKHfBfABsQFjAIegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.itv.com%2Fnews%2Fcalendar%2F2019-05-03%2Flabour-councillor-launches-attack-on-yvette-cooper-over-brexit-at-wakefield-declaration%2F&usg=AOvVaw2OTITnioDn7hMtediT7sEa

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I looked at their tweet account. I bet there are some great people behind that.

As someone posted earlier, the media is out of control...according to some heavily biased fringe groups with unaccountable funding.

Whilst the bbc gets stick all the time for laughably being left wing, they actually had someone from Guido Fawkes website on just before the Cummings statement!  Some kid looking for a job at a slightly more respectable outfit. Such as the Taxpayer's Alliance or Mike Ashley's PA.

This 'impartial' method of a neutral bbc referee between partisan factions is a great way of getting fringe ideas into people's homes. The presenter is not even allowed to point out ridiculous ideas or lies in case they be deemed biased. Cummings exploited this brilliantly with Brexit.

I wonder why.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1285316/bbc-bias-brexit-midlands-north-programming-tony-hall

Archived