The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The Police investigation into Dominic Cummings various jaunts has ended and they conclude that there 'might' have been a breach of the lockdown rules but consider it to be 'minor' as there was no apparent breach of social distancing rules during the visit. 

The force said it had "no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident", since this would amount to "treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52835982?at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=%40BBCBreaking&at_custom4=53D18C92-A0DE-11EA-B0CB-E0223A982C1E&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_campaign=64

So the second sighting of Cummings was false. Shock.

The 260 mile round trip was legal and within the rules. 

No social distancing rules broken. 

Trip out to test eyesight was a poo excuse.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After nearly 50 pages since I posted that the defenders of Cummings would be scratching around to find some dirt on the Labour Party because what Cummings did was indefensible.  

All I can say is after a bit of whataboutery and few attempts to lead the debate down a few different rabbit holes, which haven't done anything in the way of defending what Cummings did.

So still waiting for anyone to give a justifiable reason for what Cummings did. Never mind the way he and Johnson's government have taken the nation for mugs, in how this whole sorry episode as been handled by them.

11 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

just pointed out other MP's have broke the rules and not got a minicule of attention Cummings has.........leftist media vultures, picking and choosing its victims

Jeez , there are people of ALL political persuasions totaly  dicked off with the whole Cummings affair ,to be deluded enough to state it’s just a leftist media vultures problem is just the pot kettle entrenched blindness that in the main people are sick to death of and has no place at a time like this,

name and shame every single one of the ministers that has blatantly flouted the rules handed down to the ordinary people from parliament and yes ask them for their resignation s , 

we really need to get back to basics where the people that govern us ARE expected to be of high moral fibre no matter what colour rosette they wear , we’ve lost that idea and accept scumbags with scumbag behaviour in fact we round on anbody exposing their scumbag behaviour,

do countries get the government they deserve ?  Let’s be honest here we have a man at the helm who runs a mile from the simple question of how many children he has ???? 
come on folks think about it 

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

After nearly 50 pages since I posted that the defenders of Cummings would be scratching around to find some dirt on the Labour Party because what Cummings did was indefensible.  

All I can say is after a bit of whataboutery and few attempts to lead the debate down a few different rabbit holes, which haven't done anything in the way of defending what Cummings did.

So still waiting for anyone to give a justifiable reason for what Cummings did. Never mind the way he and Johnson's government have taken the nation for mugs, in how this whole sorry episode as been handled by them.

Probably because nobody is defending Cummings. Just some disagree with the punishment others want to hand down and were waiting for the police investigation to finish. 

Out of interest, would you sack him following Durham police's report today? 

Because he would probably sue and win I'd have thought. 

19 minutes ago, Norman said:

Thats it pretty much.

I still believe that he should have stepped down, people in positions of power should be seen as being whiter than white - but the amount of politicians that live by that logic is slim to non at best. 

Everything else in my (hopefully not coming across as desperate ?) opinion has just been anti-Brexit/anti-Tory politics and political point scoring at its absolute worst.

26 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

just pointed out other MP's have broke the rules and not got a minicule of attention Cummings has.........leftist media vultures, picking and choosing its victims

You are right. I could find very little about these MPs in the Express, Telegraph or the Sun, for example. There's a bit of a jab in the ribs for Kinnock in the Sun (complete with a picture of him social distancing) and details on the tweet the police put out. They don't seemed to have followed it up.

I suspect that had they been involved in formulating the rules and their, er, 'boss' go on TV to tell people to stay at home, it might have been worse.

This is not a left-wing wet dream. It's people of all political persuasions making massive sacrifices for the greater good and having that rubbed in their faces by someone that apparently couldn't be arsed.

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Jeez , there are people of ALL political persuasions totaly  dicked off with the whole Cummings affair ,to be deluded enough to state it’s just a leftist media vultures problem is just the pot kettle entrenched blindness that in the main people are sick to death of and has no place at a time like this,

name and shame every single one of the ministers that has blatantly flouted the rules handed down to the ordinary people from parliament and yes ask them for their resignation s , 

we really need to get back to basics where the people that govern us ARE expected to be of high moral fibre no matter what colour rosette they wear , we’ve lost that idea and accept scumbags with scumbag behaviour in fact we round on anbody exposing their scumbag behaviour,

do countries get the government they deserve ?  Let’s be honest here we have a man at the helm who runs a mile from the simple question of how many children he has ???? 
come on folks think about it 

I agree, apart from the bit about demanding their resignations and the part where you suggest we should hound them. I'm not going to demand Kinnock or anybody else resigns. That's up to the police to decide if they are to be charged with doing anything wrong, and the political party to take the right action once the full facts are known . If you don't agree with the action taken, don't vote for them.

50 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

So you don't think they should resign as MPs?

Their constituencies can take steps to force a by-election. That's the thing with MPs. You can get rid of them at the ballot box.

This is not the case with Cummings. Pressure needs to come from elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The Police investigation into Dominic Cummings various jaunts has ended and they conclude that there 'might' have been a breach of the lockdown rules but consider it to be 'minor' as there was no apparent breach of social distancing rules during the visit. 

The force said it had "no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident", since this would amount to "treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52835982?at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=%40BBCBreaking&at_custom4=53D18C92-A0DE-11EA-B0CB-E0223A982C1E&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_campaign=64

I'm clutching my pearls so hard right now.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Their constituencies can take steps to force a by-election. That's the thing with MPs. You can get rid of them at the ballot box.

This is not the case with Cummings. Pressure needs to come from elsewhere.

You didn't answer the question. 

Should they resign, in your opinion? 

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Thats it pretty much.

I still believe that he should have stepped down, people in positions of power should be seen as whiter than white - but the amount of politicians that live by that logic is slim to non existent at best. 

Everything else is in my opinion (hopefully not coming across as desperate ?)  just been anti-Brexit/anti-Tory politics and political point scoring at its absolute worst.

If we ordinary people don’t start putting our defensive partisan instincts to one side and rooting out these kind of poor excuses for politicians then we really are going to have a democracy that is not worth having and it’s getting bloody close now ,,

there was a time when most people kind of knew who they wanted to vote for ,, now?? We are left with who do we find the least stomach churning ,

to think people fought a war and gave their lives , bloody sad

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

If it offends, I apologise and will remove it. 

Not so much offended, just I think it opens a door that you might otherwise close if other religious images start getting posted. As we were.

21 minutes ago, Norman said:

All true, but in the end the most damning factor was the large whiff of a cover up, and a political override to protect one’s own. I think that is what vexes the neutral majority. Not the Remainers of course, they just wanted to froth again.

11 minutes ago, Norman said:

I agree, apart from the bit about demanding their resignations and the part where you suggest we should hound them. I'm not going to demand Kinnock or anybody else resigns. That's up to the police to decide if they are to be charged with doing anything wrong, and the political party to take the right action once the full facts are known . If you don't agree with the action taken, don't vote for them.

Yep back to the position of not voting anymore as there really is no point 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

If we ordinary people don’t start putting our defensive partisan instincts to one side and rooting out these kind of poor excuses for politicians then we really are going to have a democracy that is not worth having and it’s getting bloody close now ,,

there was a time when most people kind of knew who they wanted to vote for ,, now?? We are left with who do we find the least stomach churning ,

to think people fought a war and gave their lives , bloody sad

Let's be honest, all of this aside 40 percent of the population vote one colour all the time, 40 percent vote the other colour, some weirdos vote for a colour that isn't red or blue and very few change their minds. 

That's more sad, if you ask me. It doesn't matter what anybody in any party does, the vast majority will vote the same way regardless.

Do you think people are going to waver voting Conservative on 3 years time because of Cummings? 

And it's the same in the Labour Party.

Most people are dicks, and we all have many, many faults. To pretend otherwise is futile. Humans are massively flawed.

1 minute ago, Norman said:

You didn't answer the question. 

Should they resign, in your opinion? 

I thought I did. It's for the people of Aberavon, Durham North, Cardiff South and Penarth and Birmingham Hall Green to decide. As far as I'm aware, Vaughan Gething was not picnicking but was walking eating a bag of chips. Although I do believe that Gething shouldn't have kept his government job after an unrelated incident involving a colleague in a Zoom meeting.

There are ways of getting rid of MPs. They are not the same as SPADs.

26 minutes ago, Norman said:

Probably because nobody is defending Cummings. Just some disagree with the punishment others want to hand down and were waiting for the police investigation to finish. 

Out of interest, would you sack him following Durham police's report today? 

Because he would probably sue and win I'd have thought. 

Yes.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I thought I did. It's for the people of Aberavon, Durham North, Cardiff South and Penarth and Birmingham Hall Green to decide. As far as I'm aware, Vaughan Gething was not picnicking but was walking eating a bag of chips. Although I do believe that Gething shouldn't have kept his government job after an unrelated incident involving a colleague in a Zoom meeting.

There are ways of getting rid of MPs. They are not the same as SPADs.

Sorry to be nitpicking, but in some parts of Cardiff walking whilst eating a bag of chips is picnicking.

Archived