The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

46 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

??‍♂️   That’s me, I’ve been waiting for him to get his comeuppance for his part in the bus escapade. I can imagine him sitting at home thinking how clever he was deceiving the gullible/disinterested and I make no apologies for enjoying seeing him under the cosh, not that I think it’ll bother him personally such is the arrogance of the man.

A vote of no confidence in Johnson wouldn’t go amiss for me either, that would put his gas at a peep as my granny would say.

This bus comment is just classic remoaner chat, exactly what, erm, Steve Baker was saying the other day!

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, TramRam said:

How would a vote of no confidence come about, Are you thinking a Vote from his own party or a an act of suicide from his back benches colluding with the opposition.

I was thinking along the lines of a motion from some of those 35 or 36 or so who have voiced their displeasure of his handling of the situation, a bit of a shot across his bows if you like, I don’t think he’s showing leadership qualities, why, there’s even an article in today’s Guardian claiming Johnson is scared to give Cummings the bullet. Now the article could be a load of old tosh of course but if Johnson had demonstrated who was the boss maybe the article criticising him wouldn’t have been written.

2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

If you ignore the (valid) "criticisms of the media angle", 

This is what the weird botlike twitter and Facebook accounts are spewing out the last day or so. Trying to discredit the media and spin this as an issue that no one really cares about and blown out of proportion. 

3 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I was thinking along the lines of a motion from some of those 35 or 36 or so who have voiced their displeasure of his handling of the situation, a bit of a shot across his bows if you like, I don’t think he’s showing leadership qualities, why, there’s even an article in today’s Guardian claiming Johnson is scared to give Cummings the bullet. Now the article could be a load of old tosh of course but if Johnson had demonstrated who was the boss maybe the article criticising him wouldn’t have been written.

Johnson really can't win. If he refuses to fire him in the midst of all this criticism, even from his own MPs, he looks weak. If he does back down and sack him due to the pressure from the media, he looks weak. 

It's brilliant. 

2 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

This is what the weird botlike twitter and Facebook accounts are spewing out the last day or so. Trying to discredit the media and spin this as an issue that no one really cares about and blown out of proportion. 

The media discredit themselves by their actions. If they had any journalistic standards people might actually still trust them.

2 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

What is Starmer doing about Kinnock, Tahir Ali and Kevan Jones? The same as he did with the grooming gangs I suspect.

No idea. Still no idea if Starmer will be any good, or the poo show I've been expecting. 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

No idea. Still no idea if Starmer will be any good, or the poo show I've been expecting. 

Why are you expecting it to be a poo show? Too much like New Labour or in fighting in Labour will mean they can't win?

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The media discredit themselves by their actions. If they had any journalistic standards people might actually still trust them.

So we should blindly follow shadowy twitter accounts, weird Facebook pages, anonymous blogs and the party line? 

The media might be 'discredited by their actions' (what does that even mean? Who does it apply to? What actions?).

This media cannot be trusted line is very sinister. 

Just now, alexxxxx said:

So we should blindly follow shadowy twitter accounts, weird Facebook pages, anonymous blogs and the party line? 

The media might be 'discredited by their actions' (what does that even mean? Who does it apply to? What actions?).

This media cannot be trusted line is very sinister. 

Is it sinister? How exactly are the media trustworthy? Since 2016, the level of journalism has dropped off a cliff. Now you get journalists who instead of trying to inform the public, are out to make a name for themselves and get a ''gotcha'' on a politician. Happens on both sides. They're discredited by their lack of integrity. It applies to all newspapers. None of them have any kind of moral integrity whatsoever. Just the other day, Sky news went to Dominic Cummings parents house to bother them, well, what has it got to do with them? 

Pretty sure last month or the month before journalist polled below politicians for trustworthiness, so it's just just an opinion I hold, either. 

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Johnson really can't win. If he refuses to fire him in the midst of all this criticism, even from his own MPs, he looks weak. If he does back down and sack him due to the pressure from the media, he looks weak. 

It's brilliant. 

...or, Johnson could remind Cummings who’s running the show. He is being made to look weak by his own advisor FFS, if he wants to keep him he’s got to be seen telling Cummings to wind his neck in, if a PM can’t keep one of his advisors in check he deserves all he gets. Cummings has become a loose cannon and he needs either ducking off or kept in line under no illusion next time he steps out of line he’s down the road.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Wasn’t there also a bit where he was asked if, as a friend of Cummings of many years, he might have chipped in to help him out?

I think so, yeah. He said he wouldn’t expect Cummings to have asked him.

Think he also appeared on LBC and tried to say that he has driven for an hour to check his eyesight in the past, but couldn’t stop himself laughing before he completed the blatant lie. Pretty embarrassing all round.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Why are you expecting it to be a poo show? Too much like New Labour or in fighting in Labour will mean they can't win?

I don't know. Clearly there's an appetite for left wing politics in the party. I fear the politicians will prefer centre right politics, as it's an easier sell to the public and will result in less media attention. I suspect Starmer will push the party as far to the right as the members will allow. 

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Just checking if you think like this:

FB_IMG_1590576306677.jpg

Who knew when I asked the other day for posters to consider what it might take for them to cross the channel in a dinghy, the answer would be

"I'd do it just to check my eyesight"

Archived