The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an interesting read about what’s currently happening in regards to the press. Both threads attached are to be honest.

Also it’s worth noting that Cummings has weeks to respond to the story before it was published and decided not to comment. It’s not the press that have brought on this reaction but the bloke who has wrapped himself up in the lies he’s tried to spin around.

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't know. Clearly there's an appetite for left wing politics in the party. I fear the politicians will prefer centre right politics, as it's an easier sell to the public and will result in less media attention. I suspect Starmer will push the party as far to the right as the members will allow. 

Why fear it?  Won't that make Labour infinitely more electable?

The reason we're in the mess we are at the moment, with Johnson enjoying an 80 seat majority and in all likelihood the cushion to ride out this media storm is mostly down to the recent far left takeover of Labour that has left them unable to kick a man when he's down.

42 minutes ago, nottingram said:

what a completely normal man

Hang on...This is Burley another journalist who want's to get in on the act, Lets put Gove on the spot, Give him a question and watch him squirm, A reply well batted imo.

35 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

So we should blindly follow shadowy twitter accounts, weird Facebook pages, anonymous blogs and the party line? 

The media might be 'discredited by their actions' (what does that even mean? Who does it apply to? What actions?).

This media cannot be trusted line is very sinister. 

Even the Daily Mail readership are now calling for the head of Cummings, and Johnson is only rated as a 'good leader' by 38% of their readership.

Just let that sink in. 62% of the Blue Rinse Brigade either 'don't know' or they disapprove of the leadership 'qualities' of the 'man' that 92,153 of them voted for to install as leader.

Of course, Johnson, Cummings et al realise that the way they regain their approval is to wait another week and they will have forgotten. That's why the more vocal conservative supporters want this whole fiasco buried - they don't want to be constantly reminded of their own idiocy in the choice they made.

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I don’t fully agree I think this issue transcends personal emotions. It is in my view some kind of spiritual intervention, karma if you like. Someone, somewhere, is stirring the pot of meta-ethics, normative ethics and applied ethics, and produced a brilliant example of how Good might overcome pure Evil. Cummings is the spawn of the Devil and he must die (or at least resign).

jesus bless GIF by funk

I think it has transcended to such a degree it merits its own round at the next forum quiz........??

9 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Hang on...This is Burley another journalist who want's to get in on the act, Lets put Gove on the spot, Give him a question and watch him squirm, A reply well batted imo.

In truth if he doesn’t want to be put on the spot then he shouldn’t be an MP. A bishop (also a member of the public) has asked a reasonable question with a legitimate concern via Burley (who in fairness I can’t really stomach) and he arrogantly wishes him well which doesn’t actually mean anything in the context of the question. Why is he doing the media if he won’t answer the question?

I suppose he could’ve started to lie about something or other before thinking better of it like he did on LBC.

The only way he batted that question well is if taking a bouncer plum on the head is good batting! 

15 minutes ago, nottingram said:

In truth if he doesn’t want to be put on the spot then he shouldn’t be an MP. A bishop (also a member of the public) has asked a reasonable question with a legitimate concern via Burley (who in fairness I can’t really stomach) and he arrogantly wishes him well which doesn’t actually mean anything in the context of the question. Why is he doing the media if he won’t answer the question?

I suppose he could’ve started to lie about something or other before thinking better of it like he did on LBC.

The only way he batted that question well is if taking a bouncer plum on the head is good batting! 

Nuff said ?

Edit

Just to add, The look on her haggard face was worth me clicking on the link

3 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Nuff said ?

Is it? How?

My opinion of Burley has nothing to do with the fact that Gove refuses to answer, with some disdain, a perfectly reasonable question sent in by a member of the public.

Why has he refused to answer it, do you think?

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Is it? How?

My opinion of Burley has nothing to do with the fact that Gove refuses to answer, with some disdain, a perfectly reasonable question sent in by a member of the public.

I wish nottingram well.

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Is it? How?

Perhaps that was the second, third or fourth question, she had asked on the very same subject. Maybe Gove was just fed up repeating himself.  I enjoyed the clip as it completely knocked Burley out of her stride.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Perhaps that was the second, third or fourth question, she had asked on the very same subject. Maybe Gove was just fed up repeating himself.  I enjoyed the clip as it completely knocked Burley out of her stride.

Boooom!

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I wonder what Gove was expecting to answer questions on, the morning after Cummings’ statement.

To me it comes across as treating the public with a bit of contempt but I would tend to agree that without the full context of the interview we can’t say for sure. I would like to think that in times such as these, a political party would be well served by trying to make sure they aren’t being seen to do any such thing.

"This is about all of us, and it is way bigger than any of us," Von der Leyen told the European Parliament.

"This is Europe’s moment.

"And so in front of us once again is that same binary choice: We either all go it alone, leaving countries, regions and people behind and accepting a union of haves and have-nots - or we walk that road together, we take that leap forward, we pave a strong path for our people and for the next generation."

God, I wish we had a leader.

35 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Why fear it?  Won't that make Labour infinitely more electable?

The reason we're in the mess we are at the moment, with Johnson enjoying an 80 seat majority and in all likelihood the cushion to ride out this media storm is mostly down to the recent far left takeover of Labour that has left them unable to kick a man when he's down.

Why not just adopt Conservative policy? 

And then join the tories? They'd be elected with about 80% of the vote. 

Because I want the kind of politics that helps people, not penalises them with austerity. I don't trust the centre-right Labour MPs not to carry on with tory policies. 

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Why not just adopt Conservative policy? 

And then join the tories? They'd be elected with about 80% of the vote. 

Because I want the kind of politics that helps people, not penalises them with austerity. I don't trust the centre-right Labour MPs not to carry on with tory policies. 

You don't have to go all the way to the right, center left politics is different to center right politics and a whole lot more palatable than far left politics.

If all you do is aspire to the latter you'll spend the rest of your days angrily shaking your fist at the Tories forever watching on as they quite literally rule your life.  The main reason why Boris Johnson can sit back and virtually ignore all the current media hyperbole is because of the huge majority that the far left handed him.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I don’t fully agree I think this issue transcends personal emotions. It is in my view some kind of spiritual intervention, karma if you like. Someone, somewhere, is stirring the pot of meta-ethics, normative ethics and applied ethics, and produced a brilliant example of how Good might overcome pure Evil. Cummings is the spawn of the Devil and he must die (or at least resign).

jesus bless GIF by funk

Nah it’s not that complicated, ?, I reckon he/ they could have just about ridden it out if they had stuck their hands up and been honest from the start,I don’t think the anger would have been anywhere near the level it is now 

personally and true for most people I know the real galling part is the arrogance to treat people like they’re heads button up the back, lies and excuses you would expect from an 8 year old,
it’s insulting 

2 hours ago, TramRam said:

How would a vote of no confidence come about, Are you thinking a Vote from his own party or a an act of suicide from his back benches colluding with the opposition.

1. A long drawn out process by his own MPs and to be replaced by??????? Gove?

2. Or the ancient art of Hari Kari where there's a good chance the Red Wall that crumbled under Corbyn, Could be re built under Starmer.

We're seeing the truth about Polititians...Looking after number 1.

Cummings no 1 then?,,, I am not a number.  I’m a free man

Just now, maxjam said:

You don't have to go all the way to the right, center left politics is different to center right politics and a whole lot more palatable than far left politics.

If all you do is aspire to the latter you'll spend the rest of your days angrily shaking your fist at the Tories forever watching on as they quite literally rule your life.  The main reason why Boris Johnson can sit back and virtually ignore all the current media hyperbole is because of the huge majority that the far left handed him.

It's all about what you consider far left. 

For me, that means public ownership, workers power, abolition of the house of Lords etc. 

Slightly higher taxes on higher earners and businesses coupled with a bit more public spending I wouldn't class as far left. 

Milliband was reduced to pledging not to even increase public spending, and recycling rejected tory policies. I don't trust Starmer to not even go that far. 

Archived