The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

My worst was Derby to Newton Abbot in a mini 850, 12 hours on a Good Friday. Early 70's. No M42, M5 sort of went to Bristol then it was A38.

That was when I gained my pathological HATRED of Caravans. Convoys of the damned things so close you could never get by, so slow up the hills. Still have that today.

Oh yes. And the road signs with 'HR' on them.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oh yes. And the road signs with 'HR' on them.

As a teenager I used to catch the bus up to Exeter and on the A38 (No M5 then) used to collect a mini convoy of cars for 10bob each and take them down back roads to Torquay avoiding most of jams. Only trouble I ever had was from my Dad when he found out.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Getting from here to Cornwall was really a bit of a nightmare. From Derby you would get the A38 to Birmingham, get on the M6 at Spaghetti Junction and then on the M5, or go straight through the centre (I can't remember if the Aston expressway was open then). From Leicestershire, we would go on the A453 to Tamworth, then pick up the A38. The M5 from J4 to J9 was only 2 lanes, and an absolute mess of lorries.

After a couple of motorway trips there and back, when the world and his wife used to go to Newquay and Perranporth for the surfing, we started making the journey avoiding the M5 like the plague. There were a couple of choices - M1 down to Crick/Weedon Beck (J18 if I remember), then pick up the A361 through Banbury, Daventry and down to Wiltshire where you cross the Thames at the wonderfully-named Halfpenny Bridge at Lechlade (my car broke down on it once), then Swindon (Christ, it's all coming back to me) and on to Devon - Tiverton and then, the biggest bottleneck of them all, Okehampton. Beyond there, it was the A30 all the way through Launceston and Bodmin to Indian Queens (another notorious bottleneck) and on to the A392 to Newquay if we were going on the North coast.

6 hours driving through the night, but totally worth it. When my kids were toddlers, they would kip all the way down, the missus's job was to sort tapes out for the cassette player (ah, the old C90s, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa etc), and I would get us to Newquay or Perranporth by about 7:00 am. If it was nice, they would go on the beach, I would grab a croissant and bacon, eat that and get my head down in the car until it was time to check in at the caravan site.

Side track but just wanted to add that driving through the night and getting to Cornwall early morning for breakfast on the beach is one of the best decisions I’ve made. Used to absolutely dread that drive as the traffic picked up around Bristol

33 minutes ago, TramRam said:

We've been hunting down an Austrian lady that My Austrian Uncle is buried with, Come to a dead end no pun intended ?...But now my Daughter has took up our Family tree, Got back so far to 1798, My Great great great Grandfather A travelling salesman/hawker from Leicester he was selling Chinaware, Settled in the Isle of Dogs in London before moving and settling in Derby, Anyway, She's found an Auntie we never new about(Dads Sister)moved to London(West Mam)before the War broke out 1939, Passed away in 1991 age 66, We could have cousins, That's how secretive my Dad was?

My mum was exactly the same, could never get anything out of her.. My old man left us when I was about 5ish and she would never tell me anything about him, only very small snippets.. To be honest until I was about 50, I didn’t give a damn.. Was what it was.

Around that time I got curious, everyone said I was my dad born again, my manor, hated authority, short temper, blah, blah, blah. I knew he lived in Windsor for awhile and we think got married again. Our surname if often misspelled, so that never helps.. He was born in 1908, so considerably older than my mum and would have not been around when I started looking. Anyway, checked for his war records and it turns out he was in the precursor to the SAS, the Special Operations Executive.. Spent most of the war serving in Asia behind enemy lines observing Japanese troop movement. Midget subs, the lot. Must have had bigger nads than I will every have. 
Still big gaps in his war record where things are still not public but really nice to know he was not a complete dosser as I had originally thought.

Anyway, I hit so many dead ends and nearly gave up.. Keep looking mate, things appear all the time.

9 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

My mum was exactly the same, could never get anything out of her.. My old man left us when I was about 5ish and she would never tell me anything about him, only very small snippets.. To be honest until I was about 50, I didn’t give a damn.. Was what it was.

Around that time I got curious, everyone said I was my dad born again, my manor, hated authority, short temper, blah, blah, blah. I knew he lived in Windsor for awhile and we think got married again. Our surname if often misspelled, so that never helps.. He was born in 1908, so considerably older than my mum and would have not been around when I started looking. Anyway, checked for his war records and it turns out he was in the precursor to the SAS, the Special Operations Executive.. Spent most of the war serving in Asia behind enemy lines observing Japanese troop movement. Midget subs, the lot. Must have had bigger nads than I will every have. 
Still big gaps in his war record where things are still not public but really nice to know he was not a complete dosser as I had originally thought.

Anyway, I hit so many dead ends and nearly gave up.. Keep looking mate, things appear all the time.

What a man your Dad was, I have the upmost respect for our Armed Forces, Passed and Present, I'm nothing like my Dad, I loved a drink(no longer tho just social)I can talk the hind legs off a donkey as my postings will tell ?, Got into the unsavoury parts of FV, Lived on the other side of the law, Now an extremely quiet life ?I was hoping my Daughter could go back as far as 1660-61, When King Charles 2nd charged the Regicides for killing his dad(those that signed his death warrent)there a man who I have the same surname...but alas he never had Children.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What is mildly amusing about Cummings is that he is lauded as a brilliant strategist very good at reading the public's views. He missed an obvious one here, he should have resigned and do his so called boss a big favour.

Trouble is he’s too full of his own self importance, the arrogance of the man boils my you-know-what. 

Rightly or wrongly I believe he engineered May’s downfall in cahoots with Johnson hence him defending the indefensible. I hope Starmer reminds the electorate about this old boy’s network Johnson’s so keen on preserving come the next election.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

That crate of Belgium beers on the journey down probably wasn't the best idea

It was in the days when the only Belgian beer I had ever tasted was Stella Artois, and I thought that it was 'sophisticated'. So if you are implying that I was addled, you're right.

33 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Not if you knew the back roads!  See my earlier post an hour ago.

We had OS maps of every area of the United Kingdom, and we still got lost.

The Memsahib is not a great navigator ("Turn left in half an inch").

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We had OS maps of every area of the United Kingdom, and we still got lost.

The Memsahib is not a great navigator ("Turn left in half an inch").

My wife is always bossing me about in the bedroom too.

29 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As the politics thread as morphed into a journeys I've taken by car. We could maybe get a Mr Cummins to recount on how he fared while on his trip to not see his parents.

Not sure he's a Derby fan let alone a forum member. Though there is a question mark over @G STAR RAM

Not the greatest 24 hours for the government, we've had various ministers and the PM telling the same message about Dom with a certain lack of conviction. In those desperate situations the only man i recall being up to the job was comical Ali, remember him ? he was brilliant. BoJo needs to find a communication director as a good as Ali if not better so we can be properly entertained.

Archived