The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

He is the Transport Secretary and should be questioned as such.

He should not need additional info or prep on things that are completely out of his control and remit.

If there are questions to be answered on this, and there are, they should be directed at Cummings and Johnson, not anybody else.

Grant has been shafted over that one for sure. Reminds me once of a situation at work when someone at a customer site was asked to tell a pack of lies by management as excuses for a duck up. When the geezer asked for it to be confirmed by mail that these were the reasons they all went quiet. Classic. If i was Grant i would have said i have not been briefed, i don't know you should  ask Dom and stick with this instead of trying desperately follow the government line and look like an idiot for 20 mins or so.

Dom and Bojo were never going to face the media over that one, but you can guarantee that next stage to ease the lockdown measures will be anounced by Bojo. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

People are probably a little upset as to why I am sniping at them (you know who you are, and frankly I just don't care what you think about me), but in continuing to defend the government and their 'chief advisor', or in fact by your refusal to even hear any criticism towards them, let alone cast any aspersions yourselves (a nice word which means to attack the reputation or integrity of someone), you have made me think that, possibly, you are right and I am wrong. How's that for a turnaround?

In the second week of March, my grandson came home from school 'a bit poorly' with a temperature and a dry, persistent cough. A few days later, my daughter (a very fit lady who a few weeks before completed her first marathon) and her partner went down with it. They self-isolated collectively, and over the next two weeks, Becca's condition deteriorated drastically to the point that she was bedridden - high temperature, no energy, unproductive persistent cough, headaches, muscle pain - you know the symptoms. Her friends made sure that her shopping etc was collected and left outside the door, Matt was working from home and able to continue (he wasn't very ill at all, despite him being less fit and carrying a few - ok, a lot) excess pounds and kept me informed as to how my daughter was progressing.

I was seriously concerned, and felt utterly helpless, but my wife was beside herself with worry. By the time April arrived, I had received the 'shelter in place' letter (which I jokingly refer to as 'house arrest' - I know that term winds a few of you up), the death toll really started to climb, especially in Sheffield, where my daughter lives. Gradually, she began to improve but even now, ten or eleven weeks after falling ill, is still not fully recovered.

Obviously, given the recent news and with the benefit of hindsight, Becca, in adhering to government advice at the time, was clearly in the wrong. At the first sign of illness, she should have hopped in the car, driven down the motorway to my house, moved in to another property on my land (the garage, or possibly the cloche in which I grow my chillies at the foot of the garden, next to the compost heap that is growing at a considerable rate since the council stopped the garden waste collection), let my wife and I look after Oliver and take care of his schooling while she went out sightseeing, visiting local landmarks and the like - she would have recovered in no time at all, certainly to be well enough to return to Sheffield a couple of times over the next two weeks. Matt, meanwhile, would have written a couple of newspaper articles extolling the virtues of 'shelter in place', and telling everyone just how ill she was and how seriously she was adhering to the guidelines back in Sheffield. Whether or not she would have been permitted to attend my funeral, which would have been probably two weeks ago as yesterday, is a moot point. 

Do you live in Durham ? They could have shared lifts from Sheffield

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Grant has been shafted over that one for sure. Reminds me once of a situation at work when someone at a customer site was asked to tell a pack of lies by management as excuses for a duck up. When the geezer asked for it to be confirmed by mail that these were the reasons they all went quiet. Classic. If i was Grant i would have said i have not been briefed, i don't know you should  ask Dom and stick with this instead of trying desperately follow the government line and look like an idiot for 20 mins or so.

Dom and Bojo were never going to face the media over that one, but you can guarantee that next stage to ease the lockdown measures will be anounced by Bojo. 

BoJo has a track record of being a "good time" leader - happy to delegate as long as he can take any credit, so this would be entirely consistent behaviour.

It's up to the voters to call him out when they get a chance to pass judgement. But we'll probably have forgotten the worst parts of this episode of ineptitude by late 2024...

36 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

BoJo has a track record of being a "good time" leader - happy to delegate as long as he can take any credit, so this would be entirely consistent behaviour.

It's up to the voters to call him out when they get a chance to pass judgement. But we'll probably have forgotten the worst parts of this episode of ineptitude by late 2024...

2024? 

Not sure he'll make it to the end of 2020.

2 hours ago, TramRam said:

I was a poster on a another forum(Popside)the vitriol was some what of threats and violent threats, Verbal abuse, Ridicule, Mob rule and more, But I never used the ignore button, I felt that if I did then they've won, It was politics, Immigration and of course the Brexit debate that was the catalist, I got fed up of the name calling and the like and eventually stopped posting on there a year or so ago.

This board has a tougher line, One or 2 of my posts have disapeared, Not a problem from me, Maybe it broke house rules or maybe I did not click on "submit" it's a bugger being old ?.

If I vehemently oppose a poster then I do my best to post without belittling the post/poster or I just read on and move to another thread, Age has mellowed me, And I find getting angry and living alone are 2 positions I don't want be, So I don't get angy anymore and I enjoy living on my own.

I'm still amazed that some can take a persons opinion to heart ?

Popside was my first experience of  the way some Derby fans conduct themselves online and in the real world.

I was very much anti the 3 Amigos, and very pro Rams Trust.

I had a brick thrown through my window.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Popside was my first experience of  the way some Derby fans conduct themselves online and in the real world.

I was very much anti the 3 Amigos, and very pro Rams Trust.

I had a brick thrown through my window.

I knew John Richardson sadly now passed away(who's monica was The Ram)he was at the fore of the RamsTrust, A DCFC fan of huge proportions in body and support, I saw Jeremy Keith soon after his release from a spell inside on the underground in London, Lucky for him I was with the Ex, A few Derby fans gave him some grief, But they saw fit to leave him be.

Having your property damaged is a symptom of people annoyed with others...stupid sods ?

30 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

2024? 

Not sure he'll make it to the end of 2020.

With an 80 seat majority something Cataclysmic will have to happen, Even if he's caught rogering Laura Kuennsberg up against Nelsons Column, He'll take a side step and an election for a new PM or Gove or Rees Mogg will take the reigns.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The government are paying upto £2500 a month of you and your colleagues wages, I'd call that helping out.

Your mis understanding me what I am trying to say they should be helping them by getting them back on there feet.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which is one too many surely?

Corbyn was doorstepped pretty much every day by the media trying to drive the anti-Corbyn agenda. I may be wrong but I don't ever remember you complaining that it was outrageous behaviour

Anyway - so Johnson is standing by Cummings and says that is the end of it. Predictable, but the game of media chess will surely now move to the story being about Johnson's impotence as leader? What does he do about the 6 (or is it more now?) Tory MPs who have openly said that Cummings should go? It's a time of national crisis and our leader is 100% not in control

Telling that even Tories (MPs and voters) are turning against him

Make no mistake - I supported Corbyn and he lost, but if he'd won and done something like this, I would have turned against him too

Archived